Just a little note for those who didn't notice from the Android Apps Demo Video, it seems that you'll will only be able to open ONE Android app at a time.

Hope this gets addressed before the release of the Android Player.
    05-03-11 12:24 PM
    Better then none.

Tim
    05-03-11 02:51 PM
    Better then none.

Tim
    Word. ....
    05-03-11 03:01 PM
    I think we're getting spoiled with this whole multi-tasking thing, we get tabbed browsers but I can't see tabbed instances in the Android player. I think the most seemless integration would be no selectable Android App Player, and just little aliens in the corner of 'Android ported Apps' in the application list. When the android app loads, you would see a Android/BB logo similar to Bridged Apps displaying the BB logo and that's it. If you want, you can keep a tab just for Android apps as their own repository.

The WebOS implementation has cards that stack which allow for multiple independant instances of each other (example was different replies to the same email), we'll see what the PlayBook OS
    05-03-11 03:09 PM
    Didn't the demo run 2 at a time??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-11 03:20 PM
    I wouldn't be so quick to judge this.

What they showed off was beta quality software just to demonstrate that it's working.

If you notice all of the native apps shown in the other video were running in the same instance called "Blackberry Player". I'm fairly sure they're not going to have all of the native apps run one at a time because it would make no sense. I think it may be the same case with the Android apps.
    05-03-11 03:39 PM
    Didn't the demo run 2 at a time??

No, the second app replaced the first app in the Android Player window.

What would be nice if we could configure the Android Player to use one player(window) for Android apps or open each app in there on Android Player.
    05-03-11 03:44 PM
    RIM has created a mobile computing device running a kickin OS and then added the ability to run a second OS and it's apps within their system and you're complaining? Let me know the minute Android can run Tablet OS and anything native to the PlayBook.

05-03-11 03:46 PM
    RIM has created a mobile computing device running a kickin OS and then added the ability to run a second OS and it's apps within their system and you're complaining? Let me know the minute Android can run Tablet OS and anything native to the PlayBook.

A thousand times this

Thread closed.
    05-03-11 04:41 PM
    Just a little note for those who didn't notice from the Android Apps Demo Video, it seems that you'll will only be able to open ONE Android app at a time.

what needs to be addressed? i'm just happy that even one android app will be able to run. would i want more? sure. i'll welcome it when it does come though.
    05-03-11 05:06 PM
    Not until someone ports Honeycomb onto the Player.

05-03-11 05:11 PM
    Well, Android does do "app-switching", and so I can see multiple apps being run within the android app player itself, rather than the native multi-tasking that we see on the PB
    05-03-11 05:17 PM

It is hilarious to think about one year ago the RIM ceo was calling apps a fad. We also heard that apps are a crutch for an inferior ipad. Playbook wouldnt need them.

Now rim needs to form an alliance with a direct phone competitor msft for a lousy search engine and rim needs to run a virtual player on its device to play its competitors tiny phone apps because they have no developer support.
    Hankster and howarmat like this.
    05-03-11 05:39 PM
    It is hilarious to think about one year ago the RIM ceo was calling apps a fad. We also heard that apps are a crutch for an inferior ipad. Playbook wouldnt need them.

Now rim needs to form an alliance with a direct phone competitor msft for a lousy search engine and rim needs to run a virtual player on its device to play its competitors tiny phone apps because they have no developer support.
    call out some developer friends and help out then...

maybe after they see what the PB can do they will start developing
    05-03-11 05:47 PM
    It seems that the native email app is a java app --- "blackberry player" was listed as the title on the bottom of the card view and there is no multitasking when the demo went from email to calender to contacts.
    05-03-11 06:27 PM

Wow, so we are suppose to LOWER standards for RIM now? Please. If Apple did some half *** thing like this everyone here would be calling them jokes.

RIM knows they cannot get enough developers to build for their OS so they bring in Android. And, this is suppose to make me happy? I'm suppose to be pleased. Sorry, I don't lower my standards just because some folks want to be fanbois.
    05-03-11 06:36 PM
    At least they have some apps worth opening!
    05-03-11 06:38 PM
    I don't think multitasking will be possible because 'Android Player' itself is an app which will use other apps in its own window… But I was wondering, which apps will you get? I mean I don't need apps like imdb b/c that can be accessed on the browser… Will they have useful apps, for which there is no alternative?
    05-03-11 07:22 PM

What an absolutely foolish and ignorant post...

Microsoft is simply providing software to a Hardware manufacturer as that is the primary nature of their revenue and business model....This is a win-win situation...Microsoft taps another revenue stream...RIM provides their customers with a familiar software solution allowing RIM to focus on more important matters....

RIM has an OS that supports Universal capabilities and Universal reach as far as tapping every market on the planet...Their is no software in consumer existence that can't be supported by QNX....This can hardly be said for ios , Android or windows phone 7.....

QNX is powerful enough to effortlessly emulate the entire Android OS....Are you aware of the gravity of this?

RIM is targeting cross platform support capabilities that support every development community and platform on the planet....baby steps!

Believe it or not...Android apps will function better on QNX then they do on native Android devices.....

In an 18 month span RIM has an R&D budget of approximately 2 billion$......that is near par to that of Apple..

Expect some amazing feats to be reached in the near term!

5 years ago RIM wasn't regarded as an exclusive software and computing company....Enter 2011....they are now!

QNX on PB v1.0 developed and entered the market in one years time....

RIM has an OS that gives ios/ Android an inferiority complex....The sheer rate of evolution QNX will allow the Blackberry platform will bring software in due course that out classes that of ios/android....

We see these advanced characteristics in PB v1.0 literally running the android os in the "app player"....think about the gravity of that...Remember we are in QNX's and PB's infancy
    Mvor7, Foreverup, kbz1960 and 1 others like this.
    05-03-11 08:29 PM

I think we should be thankfull we're getting Android Apps PERIOD.
    05-03-11 09:26 PM
    I'm pretty sure in the video he explained that you can hit the arrows at the top to switch between different android apps

05-03-11 09:59 PM
    I do wish the android multi tasking would integrate into the qnx multi tasking, as it is so effordless. I do have to say though that it is pretty awesome what kind of a powerhouse QNX is. Remember, the current TabletOS is basically an UI for the OS, I'm sure with time and vision, many more cool things are possible.
    One could argue RIM is kinda lacking both time and at least leadership right now, but what I would ultimatly think is possible is QNX based OSs on other devices, phones, computers, cloud OS (where your tablet or phone or PC) is just the screen for your virtual OS.
    05-03-11 10:19 PM
    I don't think Andriod apps should be closely integrated with the PB. I think it's nice that we will have access to more apps, but if you want an integrated app then it should be reserved for natively developed BlackBerry apps. I don't want a flood of re-packaged apps. Otherwise, what would be the point of RIM supporting any direct development at all? Call them "Super Apps" or whatever, but you have to give some incentive for developers to take full advantage of what the PB platform offers and develop native apps.
    05-04-11 07:50 AM
    If you guys look closely to the video of the native email demo --- the native email app works the same way as the "android player". Just substitute the name "android player" (dalvik vm) with the name "blackberry player" (java vm).

Playbook's native blackberry functions will be handled and sandboxed by java.
    05-04-11 01:02 PM
    When is the Andriod App player becoming available or is already available?
    05-20-11 07:19 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD