Is anyone interested in an nntp (aka usenet) news reader? I plan to release a native client via app world by the end of June - it'll probably cost a couple of quid..

Caveat: because of the prohibitive nature of blackberry's file sharing policies, it probably won't have binary support (at least to begin with).

Cheers,
    Ben.
    Herve5 likes this.
    05-01-13 05:49 AM
    These days I'm more after a real RSS agregator (I mean, one where you can handle your source feeds, add filters, lock / save / export posts...) but I'd also appreciate an usenet reader -I thought about the RSS because feed handling is quite close IMHO...
    H.
    05-01-13 12:38 PM
    That's fair enough... to be honest, I'm a hobby coder and I use usenet fairly regularly and given the lack of readers thought I'd code my own..Its been a good practice experience.. Love the playbook, and the Qt api is fantastic. Its a true shame that other developers haven't adopted it so much..
    05-01-13 02:32 PM
    Is anyone interested in an nntp (aka usenet) news reader? I plan to release a native client via app world by the end of June - it'll probably cost a couple of quid..

Caveat: because of the prohibitive nature of blackberry's file sharing policies, it probably won't have binary support (at least to begin with).

Cheers,
    Ben.
    Is this still on the table for release?

A threaded nntp reader is exactly what I could use on my phone for a couple of newsgroups I follow that have proved far more valuable than any browser based forum in that particular field of expertise.
    12-05-13 11:09 AM
    Ben, are you still thinking of developing a NNTP newsreader?
    nealjane1 likes this.
    12-22-13 04:42 PM
    Sorry for my late reply. I have a working prototype, yes, but its rather buggy. I won't be pushing it on to the market place -- I'll probably be open-sourcing it instead. Can also compile an app if you're not comfortable with compiling the source yourself. I'll be busy all weekend but can push it out next week sometime.

Supports:

- Multiple newsgroup loading
    - Posting
    - Reading
    - Downloading of yenc-encoded binaries
    - Automatic image viewing of yenc-encoded jpeg images

Regards,
    Ben.
    nealjane1 likes this.
    01-10-14 07:39 AM
    Sorry for my late reply. I have a working prototype, yes, but its rather buggy. I won't be pushing it on to the market place -- I'll probably be open-sourcing it instead. Can also compile an app if you're not comfortable with compiling the source yourself. I'll be busy all weekend but can push it out next week sometime.

Supports:

- Multiple newsgroup loading
    - Posting
    - Reading
    - Downloading of yenc-encoded binaries
    - Automatic image viewing of yenc-encoded jpeg images

Regards,
    Ben.
    Ben, thanks very much for your reply. I found a newsreader that works for reading but not for posting. But don't spend time on this on my account because it's not that important. And I wouldn't know how to compile source code. Please only do this if you have the time and want to do it.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 09:33 AM
    I would be interested a lot in a working usenet application, reading and posting. I didn't find on. usenet is still alive and in use by some people.
    04-24-14 12:39 PM
    I wanted to create some binaries before I posted back here but I've not had an opportunity to yet. Anyway, here is the source code for a working and native nntp client with features mentioned above. I've not touched this code since before Christmas; it's still very messy

https://github.com/benhj/playnews

Cheers,
    Ben.
    04-25-14 10:27 AM