Hello,

I want to first say hello to everyone on the forums. I'm a new playbook owner and loving my playbook.

In any case, I just happened to be on youtube and stumbled upon this link:

Does anyone possibly have any idea on how much merit this statement holds. I know the newest beta is real (I'm running it as we speak) but I'm curious to see if, in reality, hundreds of android apps will be rolled out in the next few days.

Thanks for the help. Happy Holidays
    stevepar likes this.
    12-19-11 10:48 PM
    If your thoughts are all to be achieved, i think the palybook will kill ipad2!
    12-20-11 02:23 AM
    youre referring to handster apps which are just a giant collection of pretty much the worst apps available. they are a spamming service that spams any and every dev asking for app submissions. our mobile department gets their spam all of the time and are promptly ignored. this is the last thing playbook needs; a flood of more low quality apps that arent really updated for the playbook at all.
    Do you have a list of the rumored 7000 apps that have been converted? How do you know they're all the worst apps?

You said they're spamming all devs, trying to get more apps, so they could be reaching quality developers too. If a developer doesn't want to have them convert and submit an app on his/her behalf, he/she can just ignore the email, like your mobile team has been doing. No biggie. If they don't ask, would developers go out of their way to submit? Probably not.

Handster repackages Android apps for the BlackBerry PlayBook | Ubergizmo

"Handster, a division of Opera Software has started sending out emails to developers, informing them about their Android apps being published on the BlackBerry App World. According to the email, it looks like developers won�t have to do much � Handster will handle everything, from the verification process, the conversion of APK files, apps signing, and retesting them on the PlayBook. All developers need to do is submit a resized app icon and the updated APK.

Freeware apps can be updated by the Handster team automatically, while premium apps will require developers to email them to the Handster development account."

(Emphasis are my own to highlight their service and pedigree.)

What mobile apps does your company make? Are they low quality? Is that why your devs are ignoring Handster (because you don't want to contribute to the problem)? Or are you making native Playbook versions we can all be proud of?
    12-20-11 03:42 AM
    New apps include EA quality, lots of books, and Handster,'s free stuff. I am enjoying some of each! Better to have what some people call trash, than nothing.
    Are ipad apps all acceptable?
    Lets be glad we are getting apps!
    We can sort by type to screen out books.
    I am thrilled to finally see lots of apps. This comment is about PB, not about just apps!
    12-20-11 08:55 AM
    Do you have a list of the rumored 7000 apps that have been converted? How do you know they're all the worst apps?

You said they're spamming all devs, trying to get more apps, so they could be reaching quality developers too. If a developer doesn't want to have them convert and submit an app on his/her behalf, he/she can just ignore the email, like your mobile team has been doing. No biggie. If they don't ask, would developers go out of their way to submit? Probably not.

Handster repackages Android apps for the BlackBerry PlayBook | Ubergizmo

"Handster, a division of Opera Software has started sending out emails to developers, informing them about their Android apps being published on the BlackBerry App World. According to the email, it looks like developers won�t have to do much � Handster will handle everything, from the verification process, the conversion of APK files, apps signing, and retesting them on the PlayBook. All developers need to do is submit a resized app icon and the updated APK.

Freeware apps can be updated by the Handster team automatically, while premium apps will require developers to email them to the Handster development account."

(Emphasis are my own to highlight their service and pedigree.)

What mobile apps does your company make? Are they low quality? Is that why your devs are ignoring Handster (because you don't want to contribute to the problem)? Or are you making native Playbook versions we can all be proud of?
    Have you tried them? I found some apps not bad actually, but things like in-app purchase not working hardly "verified" from my perspective. Also, I'm yet to see any first tier apps found on the Android compatibility list on this site.

Of course, once we start seeing those apps mentioned in many threads, fully working and verified, I'd say PB has bright future.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    12-20-11 09:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD