I'm thinking outloud here, looking for some interesting input. We've all been a part of wondering why the PB is without the much needed apps that everyone is looking for. Kindle, netflix, skype so on and so forth. From everyones points read here many times, these companies are not playing ball and producing apps for the PB. Whatever the reasons and weather they said they would or not, fact is they haven't. Now we are starting to see a few interesting new apps appear in app world that after some improvements may actually become alternatives to the much awaited and wanted native apps. Question is. Is there an alternative app ecosystem starting to emerge that will provide us with the much awaited services, sidestepping the big boys and encouraging new blood. I for one would love to see it and will support if they get to a level of function that works. Comwave ephone and Epix movie service as well as others are beta for sure but they might just come along faster that the others we wanted so badly.
    08-01-11 11:16 PM
    I was thinking the same as well. I have always found it interesting that the media claims that all these developers are going to Android or iOS. It may be true, but if so, I wonder why. If I was a dev and have an app like video chat, or a dropbox-like app or anything that has similar apps already, why would I release it into an already crowded and competitive ecosystem? There are about the same amount of blackberry subscribers than iphone subscribers globally (probably more BB actually). Having less competition for your app makes it much easier to make money. I'm sure many devs are discovering this issue.

It could be the ease of using the respective SDKs, which is something RIM is working on. But I don't know, it just doesn't make sense to write an app only for one or two major platforms and not the third as you limit your audience. I find it hard to believe that these large companies like Microsoft or Amazon and such can't write an app to support over 60 million potential customers with their kind of cash flow...
    08-02-11 10:31 AM
    It could be the ease of using the respective SDKs, which is something RIM is working on. But I don't know, it just doesn't make sense to write an app only for one or two major platforms and not the third as you limit your audience.
    Far from making it easier to write apps for BB devices, RIM is doing the exact opposite. Before QNX, the BB ecosystem was already seriously fragmented. If you want to support the full range of BB devices you have to use a separate sdk for each os version. The app that you write for Torch is different than the one you write for Bold. Compare this with IOS where it is much closer to the ideal of "write once, run anywhere. " The same is true for the Android world.

For more thoughts on the state of the BB ecosystem, check out this thread:

new-strategy-needed-get-apps-playbook
    chiefbroski likes this.
    08-02-11 12:50 PM
    Far from making it easier to write apps for BB devices, RIM is doing the exact opposite. Before QNX, the BB ecosystem was already seriously fragmented. If you want to support the full range of BB devices you have to use a separate sdk for each os version. The app that you write for Torch is different than the one you write for Bold. Compare this with IOS where it is much closer to the ideal of "write once, run anywhere. " The same is true for the Android world.

For more thoughts on the state of the BB ecosystem, check out this thread:

new-strategy-needed-get-apps-playbook
    Yeah, this is what I'm talking about. Apple's strategy of having the writing of an app as standard is a good way to go. It is obviously easier to write apps when you only have one phone as opposed to Blackberry with their Style, Curve, Bold, Storm, Torch, Pearl dimensions, resolutions and input types.
    I hope RIM moves towards establishing one Blackberry standard (SDK, screen proportions and touch input) as it would make it easier to develop the platform. Maybe having a Bold 9900 type screen, a style type screen, and a torch 9860 type screen where the SDK handles each of these automatically.

Can anyone confirm that the 9900 and the 9860 screens have proportional dimensions if the torch is turned sideways? That would make much easier to develop apps where the 9860's apps run in landscape mode.
    08-02-11 02:08 PM
    Can anyone confirm that the 9900 and the 9860 screens have proportional dimensions if the torch is turned sideways? That would make much easier to develop apps where the 9860's apps run in landscape mode.
    Screen size is the least of our worries. The 9900 is using os7. Apps using os7 features will not run on devices that are running 0s6. Also apps targeting os7 will have to be re-written from the ground up to run on future QNX phones. It is not at all certain if AIR will be supported on QNX phones, so it is likely that PB apps will have to be re-written using whatever version of the ndk (?) is available on future phones.

There is no way a developer can plan a migration path without a comprehensive road map from RIM. If we make assumptions and jump in too soon, like I did with my PB app, we are left high and dry. We were notified of plans for os7 on the 9900 after PB was launched! So should I rewrite my app now or wait until I know the facts? What would you do?
    08-02-11 02:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD