I just posted the following on my Facebook page. I am posting it here as well because quite frankly, I am appalled at some CBers' take on why Android developers are shunning PlayBook. I have heard you call them lazy idiots who don't give a tinker's darn about people who have chosen RIM's professional-grade tablet. You are wrong plain and simple. And the kind soul who posted the review reproduced at the bottom of this post is also wrong. You owe us an apology.

----------------------------
    Text of Facebook post:

My apologies. I think that the following review is a little harsh but you have been waiting quite a while for for me do get the native extension for the compass implemented. I may have made a tactical error in the way i have planned the next release. The actual compass part is quite easy. What has been a challenge is to get the point and view to behave more like a movie when you are auto-panning. Major design changes have to be made to the app's underlying structure in order to make this happen and I am about ready to give up on AIR as the proper vehicle for this app - an so, I have decided to go native much sooner than I had hoped would be necessary.

My plans to get Java versions ready for BBOS have been totally sidelined by my efforts to fix the PB version - and my potential earnings have been seriously impacted. It's tough being a RIM developer and i need a few days to reconsider my options. I will post again when I have formulated a workable migration path.

In the meantime, I am going to try to stay away from the zoo that CrackBerry.com has become and try not to take some of my reviews so seriously. I am posting the following simply to underline my heartfelt opinion that some folks should think stuff through before posting online.
    ----------------------------------
    Title: useless compass on paid version
    1 1/2 stars
    Review Body:
    the compass directional capability is nil. It is not only inaccurate but it also jumps from north to south to east and west repeatedly. If this program had a good compassing ability like other PB compass apps , Whats Up would be great.
    04-12-12 11:39 AM
    Here's another brand new one pointing out that PB developers lazy idiots.
    --------------------

Title: the current version doesn't not support point and pan.

Created Date: Apr 12, 2012 12:23:02 PM
    File Bundle: Filebundle[id=525288, name=whatsup1-5-1]
    Release: 1.5.1

Review Body:
    if you are going to download wait until this is updated. google sky maps on my android samsung galaxy is much smoother and free!
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 04-12-12 at 11:55 AM.
    04-12-12 11:52 AM
    I think your app is fantastic. Don't let the bastards get you down.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-12-12 11:58 AM
    Hey Buzz,

I am on the same page as you. Although I am not a "developer", FAR from it. I am a user.
    The Playbook is a rock solid platform, and I compare it to a newborn infant in it's growing stages. The similies fit.

I too have noticed that alot (but not all) of some of the CB members have started to take to the call for "blood" when an app does not work PERFECTLY from their perspective. It takes time and there is a learning curve (not to disparage the Developers) for us users, which includes, but not limited to the PB os, which is still "growing up" OS 1 = learning to walk without faceplanting. OS 2 = learning to run without faceplanting. OS ? = more growth............

I have your What's up, and enjoy it on clear nights. Seems to work fine for my machine, (which by the way is STOCK, no rooting or sideloading.

I have another 64gb PB in which I may try the sideload route, BUT AT MY OWN RISK/PERIL. Evidently, when one does this to their hardware, and then tries to go back to "Stock", it seems some issues may still linger.

Hang tough Buzz, things WILL get better, I'm sure.

Hang on folks, good things are on the way, just have to wait and grow with the "Book".

Remember, Don't p*** off the cook, He is preparing your meal..............
    Don't like "the food", find another restaurant....................

I like my food the way it is thank you, and look forward to new "menu changes"........

C
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    04-12-12 12:02 PM
    Yeah, totally, haters always gonna hate.. So please don't let it get to you, Buzz. For anyone that actually has an interest in astronomy, cosmology or just plain star gazing, your app is invaluable and the compass features are extra icing on the cake.
    04-12-12 12:05 PM
    I think your app is fantastic. Don't let the bastards get you down.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for your support. The fact is that right now, I AM down - very, very down. But I'm not going to quit. But I can certainly see why others might and I know exactly many android developers don't want to take the risk in the first place. It's just not worth he hassle.
    04-12-12 12:06 PM
    keep up your good work, appreciate what you do for the playbook!
    taylor96 and BuzzStarField like this.
    04-12-12 12:09 PM
    Hey Buzz, are you going to make it down to the BB10 Jam in May? That would probably be a good way to recover some enthusiasm, not to mention learning about Cascades and likely figuring out how to re-architect this as a super-performing native app. With threads. And the real compass support...
    04-12-12 01:12 PM
    I had to sign in to post this... my wife and I love the app It's great. I've been looking forward to the compass support (and bought it knowing that it was highly experimental).

So keep up the good work, it's a great app, and I"m excited to hear that your writing it into native code... even though it's a lot of work. The end result will be worth it.

Thanks for all the work you put into it!
    04-12-12 01:25 PM
    Hey Buzz, are you going to make it down to the BB10 Jam in May? That would probably be a good way to recover some enthusiasm, not to mention learning about Cascades and likely figuring out how to re-architect this as a super-performing native app. With threads. And the real compass support...
    Wish I could go to the Jam but I can't. The app needs to go native for sure. If only BB10 did Java, I would be off to the races. I have always wondered why RIM doesn't seem to have a program to fast-track Java cast-offs from BBOS. I need lessons (or docs) about threads and some hints about which c++ libraries best replace Java's vast array of built-in support. Java has spoiled me I have to tell you, it's tough to have to start all over again (and again) from square one. It is plain depressing.

The rash of idiotic reviews I've been getting in App World, is sapping my energy too and I really appreciate your support. It helps a lot! We're all in this together which is why I empathize with my Android brothers and sisters. I suspect that some of these rotten reviews are driven from my activities in this forum. But I'm not going to stop encouraging forum members to listen to what developers are telling them and to consider their needs while they load their PBs with the apps that they crave.
    04-12-12 01:35 PM
    Buzz,
    I use your app all the time and it is indeed a fantastic app. There will be those that speak out harshly without forethought in any arena, this just unfortunately you have no real way to speak back to them.

Do not let those without any courtesy get you down. You do a fantastic job and there are those that truly appreciate your hard work.

I purchased your app because of the concept behind it, but I am thoroughly impressed with your (and select others) activity in the forums. A direct line, as it were, to the users can be stressful, but also shows a fairly unique level of dedication.
    spike12 and Michelle Haag like this.
    04-12-12 01:37 PM
    Hey Buzz,

I am on the same page as you. Although I am not a "developer", FAR from it. I am a user.
    The Playbook is a rock solid platform, and I compare it to a newborn infant in it's growing stages. The similies fit.

I too have noticed that alot (but not all) of some of the CB members have started to take to the call for "blood" when an app does not work PERFECTLY from their perspective. It takes time and there is a learning curve (not to disparage the Developers) for us users, which includes, but not limited to the PB os, which is still "growing up" OS 1 = learning to walk without faceplanting. OS 2 = learning to run without faceplanting. OS ? = more growth............

I have your What's up, and enjoy it on clear nights. Seems to work fine for my machine, (which by the way is STOCK, no rooting or sideloading.

I have another 64gb PB in which I may try the sideload route, BUT AT MY OWN RISK/PERIL. Evidently, when one does this to their hardware, and then tries to go back to "Stock", it seems some issues may still linger.

Hang tough Buzz, things WILL get better, I'm sure.

Hang on folks, good things are on the way, just have to wait and grow with the "Book".

Remember, Don't p*** off the cook, He is preparing your meal..............
    Don't like "the food", find another restaurant....................

I like my food the way it is thank you, and look forward to new "menu changes"........

C
    We've gone over this in several threads. Don't get me wrong, Buzz has worked very hard to on his app, but he's going to have to take the bad with the good. You have to look at it from the consumer view as well. They PAID for an app and so, IMHO, I feel that entitles them to comment on their opinion of the app. So, to say that someone that paid of their hard earned money can't write a critical review because the developer might bolt is wrong. The customer is always right, even when they are wrong. We all should want a system that is fair to both the consumer and the developer as far as the ratings are concerned, but end of the day if the system has to lean one way or another, it should lean towards the consumer.

Oh, and let's not act like those kinds of reviews are only in App World, here are some one star samples from an Android app called Star Charts:

DANY on March 25, 2012 (Motorola Droid with version 2.20)
    Never loads up
    Bought this piece of crap and it freezes on the logo and then closes never worked from day one, using moto milestone.

Brian on March 18, 2012 (LG Optimus One with version 2.20)
    Spiff
    Horrible app!! Huge waste of $!

Les on March 27, 2012 (Motorola Droid RAZR with version 2.20)
    Start chart sucks.
    This app is worthless. Doesn't compass and directions on how to calibrate is useless. Wasted my money. Uninstalled! Its crap!!!!!!!!

joker on January 29, 2012 (HTC Desire with version 2.1)
    What a crappy app. The performance is so bad that it's absolutely unusable. Other than that it's simply inaccurate. Don't get it! Better get Google Sky Map!
    04-12-12 01:52 PM
    Buzz,

When I purchased your app, it was completely out of support because I saw how much you cared about the platform, and how active you were in the CrackBerry forums. Every single one of your posts is great for the most part - in relation to What's Up or anything else.

Since I've been using What's Up more and more lately, it upsets me that you've been brought to the point where you need to share these types of feelings here about it. You deserve much more than that.

Lately, I've stopped concerning myself with the opinions of others. I understand as a developer how your reputation is based on opinions (reviews), but at the end of the day, from my non-developer perspective, the ones who post these negative reviews without hesitation are exactly the ones whose opinions I don't even consider.

I wish you could go to BB10 Jam because you definitely deserve to be there. Plus, it's also refreshing to know that there's a great dev and someone so active in the CrackBerry community just down the road from me. Cheers, and keep your chin up!
    BuzzStarField, Zirak and manofice1 like this.
    04-12-12 01:53 PM
    Buzz,

I don't own your app but I have been impressed with your dedication to it and this community. You are a developer we need in this community, one that is willing to support it. To often, actually more often then not you read people calling developers lazy because their are a lot of bad apples that just ported their crap to pb and then go on to state the platform is dead so why support it. I have said from day one that if a developer was to give the bb and pb loving they will make money because this community is hungry for decent apps. That being said, their are always some who will jump down your throat because they can't get something that can't work.

Keep on with it and you will succeed. I wish I could program as I have a great idea for the tablet market and scuba diving. A even smaller community but one I like

PS I just bought your app because of this post. I dollar won't break the bank to support a bb developer
    Last edited by finkle56; 04-12-12 at 02:24 PM.
    spike12, Zirak, manofice1 and 2 others like this.
    04-12-12 02:19 PM
    We've gone over this in several threads. Don't get me wrong, Buzz has worked very hard to on his app, but he's going to have to take the bad with the good. You have to look at it from the consumer view as well. They PAID for an app and so, IMHO, I feel that entitles them to comment on their opinion of the app. !
    I have the right to dispute false claims about my app. The compass is not inaccurate and the app does have point and view capability. I have taken extreme care to tell people how to use the app and I have never pretended that graphically and performance-wise, that the app is on a par with iOS apps or even Google sky. My description is very clear about the app's limitations and the price is set very low because of circumstances beyond my control.

Therefore, if a person does buy the app anyway, they definitely DO NOT have the "right" to submit a blatantly false review. They have the "ability" to do so, no doubt about it, but they have no such right.

In addition, There is a support email address that customers can use to contact me. If a customer buys my app and asks for a refund, I am happy to accommodate the request. Having said that over 12,000 people have bought my app - I had only 6 negative reviews and two of them have been today. And they are outright lies, plain and simple.

Is this a coincidence, or is this a result of my vigorous defense of developers' intellectual property rights in this forum. Do I have a right to express my opinions without fear of reprisal. I think that I do.

Yes, consumers have rights and you rightfully expect me to respect those rights. However, you are definitely out of line when you tell me that being a vendor in App World disqualifies me from talking about my experiences in this open forum. I do not have to take the abuse lying down. This is the only way I have to respond to consumers who I disagree with. You have no right to tell me to just sit back and take any crap that's thrown my way. Developers have rights too!
    04-12-12 02:38 PM
    Oh and Buzz, don't take my post as a direct attack against you. Like I said you work very hard on your app. You don't deserve for anyone to even imply that you or other developers are lazy. You also don't deserve for anyone to rip you off by pirating your app. I'm just saying that the bad reviews, both in their usefulness and content, come with the territory unfortunately and are not unique to App World. If you go on any site that allows the customer to leave a review, you're going to find instances of the type of reviews you posted. Like joski said, many of us are able to look past the useless reviews to see for ourselves.
    04-12-12 02:41 PM
    I have the right to dispute false claims about my app. The compass is not inaccurate and the app does have point and view capability. I have taken extreme care to tell people how to use the app and I have never pretended that graphically and performance-wise, that the app is on a par with iOS apps or even Google sky. My description is very clear about the app's limitations and the price is set very low because of circumstances beyond my control.

Therefore, if a person does buy the app anyway, they definitely DO NOT have the "right" to submit a blatantly false review. They have the "ability" to do so, no doubt about it, but they have no such right.

In addition, There is a support email address that customers can use to contact me. If a customer buys my app and asks for a refund, I am happy to accommodate the request. Having said that over 12,000 people have bought my app - I had only 6 negative reviews and two of them have been today. And they are outright lies, plain and simple.

Is this a coincidence, or is this a result of my vigorous defense of developers' intellectual property rights in this forum. Do I have a right to express my opinions without fear of reprisal. I think that I do.

Yes, consumers have rights and you rightfully expect me to respect those rights. However, you are definitely out of line when you tell me that being a vendor in App World disqualifies me from talking about my experiences in this open forum. I do not have to take the abuse lying down. This is the only way I have to respond to consumers who I disagree with. You have no right to tell me to just sit back and take any crap that's thrown my way. Developers have rights too!
    You should calm down. I never said you didn't have the right to defend yourself, and you should, only that the consumer has the right to review the app as they see fit. I've advocated for a rebuttal system for the developers. Working in the customer service arena for most of my professional career has shown me that you have to be thick-skinned when dealing with the public because for the most part people are fair and understand that not everything works perfectly, but then you get the A-hole who is abusive and has unrealistic expectations. Is it fair? Nope, but that's the way the current system works.
    04-12-12 02:49 PM
    Oh and Buzz, don't take my post as a direct attack against you. Like I said you work very hard on your app. You don't deserve for anyone to even imply that you or other developers are lazy. You also don't deserve for anyone to rip you off by pirating your app. I'm just saying that the bad reviews, both in their usefulness and content, come with the territory unfortunately and are not unique to App World. If you go on any site that allows the customer to leave a review, you're going to find instances of the type of reviews you posted. Like joski said, many of us are able to look past the useless reviews to see for ourselves.
    I totally agree with this. After I commented here I took a drive in App World for the sole purpose of scoping out some of the reviews that are made by people. Even other apps I use on a regular basis get 1/2 to 1-star reviews because the user has an issue that ends up being resolved. The people who buy these apps need to learn to contact support FOR support, rather than having the mentality that everyone is out to get them and their money, in turn making a knee-j3rk reaction, half-a$$ed, 1-star review complaining about something that's probably a user error anyway.

PS. It's EXTREMELY pathetic that you can't even say J.E.R.K. on here without it removing it as a curse word.
    BuzzStarField and Zirak like this.
    04-12-12 02:54 PM
    What's up is definitely one of the best things I like about my PB at the moment and has been for a number of months. Hence, these kind of reviews really do baffle me. For someone who wasn't really that interested in the stars, I am currently waiting for my first telescope to be delivered. For me What's up has effortlessly opened a door to a new hobby - I said as much when I left a review months ago!

I can't make any sort of comparison with sky maps because I've never used it. However, I have learnt to take any appworld review or Crackberry comment with a *huge* pinch of salt. Folk seem to find it far easier to criticise than keeping some form of context and making constructive comments. I can't think of much at all to buy for �1 that gives you such value for money!
    04-12-12 02:55 PM
    Buzz,

As you state you have provided guidelines for use and follow-up support contact info. What I have noticed is that some tend to shooooot first and then ask "what did he say". So, please don't let these comments get you down as we human beans tend to exhibit little need for or have the ability to show patience. It is better to shoot the messenger than to wait to hear or read the message.
    Please keep up your good work because it would be a huge disservice if you were to leave your �BABY� not fully ready to go out into the world.
    04-12-12 02:59 PM
    It would be cool if the "downloader" (of a free or purchased app) only had the ability to make a true 3-5 star review. IF the app has an average 3-5 star rating, when they choose 1-2 stars, they get prompted with a window to first contact support.

Maybe a weird idea, but I felt like I should share it!
    04-12-12 03:02 PM
    Don't sweat it Buzz...its a good app. Probably right to try and nip it in the bud and set "some" people on the right path. BTW thats outstanding - 12000 downloads and only 6 negative reviews! I do think the compass does need to be smoothed or something but its accurate.
    04-12-12 03:02 PM
    12000 downloads! Dang Buzz, that isn't bad. I am not sure how it works money wise from RIM but I am happy to see you are making some money. I would love to see more apps like this out their. I just learned at 4:30 pm I can start to look for Jupiter. Anyways, keep it up and don't let those negative nelly's disway you from this. People only attack, these days, stuff that is decent. Look at RIMS media image these days....
    04-12-12 03:29 PM
    Buzz, keep doing your good work for the vast majority of users who appreciate. With 12000 apps sold you will inevitably get some complainers.

To listen to those reviews you mentioned, you would think that they had bought a grand piano instead of a 99c app.

Head up, keep pedalling and ignore the rubbish.
    Last edited by CairnsRock; 04-12-12 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Typo
    04-12-12 03:43 PM
    You should calm down. I never said you didn't have the right to defend yourself, and you should, only that the consumer has the right to review the app as they see fit. I've advocated for a rebuttal system for the developers. Working in the customer service arena for most of my professional career has shown me that you have to be thick-skinned when dealing with the public because for the most part people are fair and understand that not everything works perfectly, but then you get the A-hole who is abusive and has unrealistic expectations. Is it fair? Nope, but that's the way the current system works.
    Thanks for your clarification. As you indicated in your first post, we have had this same discussion before. But this was not the topic of my original post.

In my mind, I made a fairly even tempered (and fairly calm) comparison between the abusive people who posted reviews in App World (where I can't defend myself) with abusive people who express the same "unrealistic expectations" in this forum (where I can and do defend myself). I then followed up with the process that is required so that I could meet my customers' expectations at some future date. I posted it here in addition to my Facebook page because I get much more exposure in this setting.

Was I wrong to ask people to reset their unreasonable expectations that if only developers weren't so lazy, selfish and incompetent, then App World would be filled to the brim with desirable apps. This has been a very common theme around here lately and frankly, I find it infuriating. But I try to control myself as much as possible and explain my point of view patiently and persistently. I don't always succeed but I do try.

Given your experience in customer relations, do you think that your advice to develop a thicker skin and just accept what my customers say is germane to my original post?
    04-12-12 03:57 PM
82 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD