Since the last thread got closed before I added to it, I'll start another. Last week I took a church youth team down to Merritt Island, FL, for the week to do volunteer work at a place called Teen Missions Intl. We were in the swamp, staying in bunkhouses along the shore of a small lake. Our long porch was out over the water (long -80.68503, lat 28.4308). There was no wifi whatsoever at this location.

So I used the PB32, bridged to my 9810, to run "What's Up" each night and show our teens the stars and planets in the absolutely brilliant and clear night sky. We picked out Jupiter, Venus, Orion, Perseus, & Cassiopeia in the west sky. Everyone was thoroughly impressed with the PB32 and What's Up.

So need to add to my avatar - Torch 9810 + PlayBook 32 + What's Up = SUPER JOY

Thanks to RIM and Maurice Rice for making a tough work week in the swamp truly enjoyable by allowing us to look up in the night sky and explore the heavens without a wifi connection! I love these devices!
    Last edited by jcbrunson; 04-14-12 at 06:49 PM.
    04-14-12 06:45 PM
    I bathed with the aligators with Teen Missions at Merritt Island way back in 1980. I could have used a PlayBook back then but I guess it wouldn't have been boot camp.
    jcbrunson likes this.
    04-14-12 07:21 PM
    I bathed with the aligators with Teen Missions at Merritt Island way back in 1980. I could have used a PlayBook back then but I guess it wouldn't have been boot camp.
    GET DIRTY for GOD! Go lay a brick with Teen Missions! Love it! Pamper camp is down the road!

With two layers of Cutter applied, we managed to star gaze in the cool of the springtime evening without being carried off by the mosquitoes. I doubt a PlayBook ever makes it onto the buses going to boot camp, but us volunteers can use them to our hearts content.

It was really fun tapping on a star, then tapping the link to Wikipedia. The kids wanted to know why Betelgeuse was orange in color on the app, so we looked it up. Plus we could see that the star was red in the sky. Everyone was quite interested and entertained by the Torch/PB32/What's Up combo. And they all wanted to play Plants vs. Zombies...
    04-14-12 08:18 PM
    Tipping my hat to a fellow youth worker...

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    jcbrunson likes this.
    04-14-12 08:25 PM
    Tipping my hat to a fellow What's up user! Haven't had a chance to really give it a good test run yet but hopefully I can convince my teacher to get out the ole telescope and have an Astronomy club meeting soon! We can pick out stuff by eye while he sets up the telescope. :P
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    04-14-12 09:24 PM
    I got it last night in anticipation of my trip out to Utah for stargazing. I was really impressed with it even though there is quite a bit of light pollution around here. I couldn't figure out why the compass wasn't working properly, then I realized my case has 2 magnets in it to hold the lid shut
    05-14-12 02:33 PM
    I got it last night in anticipation of my trip out to Utah for stargazing. I was really impressed with it even though there is quite a bit of light pollution around here. I couldn't figure out why the compass wasn't working properly, then I realized my case has 2 magnets in it to hold the lid shut
    Depending on where in Utah, your mind will be blown by THE STARS!!!! A number of years ago my friend and I happened upon a troupe of astronomers up at Cedar Breaks - around 10,000 feet. They had setup about 8-10 incredible telescopes. She and I and all the other campers were totally amazed. It was also frigid, about 28F when we finally turned into our tent.

Buzz in a new thread has mentioned that the new pb keyboard case also cases magnetic problems.
    05-14-12 06:37 PM
    i'm spending a couple weekends at a friends cottage this summer...

i'm totally looking forward to stargazing with this app!
    05-14-12 06:59 PM
    This thread convinced me to get it
    jcbrunson and Barljo like this.
    05-14-12 08:10 PM
    Going with the family on a Caribbean cruise over Memorial Day week - you can bet that What's Up will be used at night to view the stars and enjoy the cool evening breezes. Won't be bridged this time though - no international maritime roaming charges for me, thankyouverymuch! We'll see how well the GPS holds up out in the Gulf...
    05-16-12 11:14 AM
    I've noticed that you can't hold the PlayBook up and move it around and have the view on the app change with the position of the PlayBook.

Is this not a feature or am I missing something?
    05-27-12 12:15 AM
    I've noticed that you can't hold the PlayBook up and move it around and have the view on the app change with the position of the PlayBook.

Is this not a feature or am I missing something?
    Swipe down from the top bezel to open the help menu and then select "Point & view" to discover how to use this feature. The top-bezel-swipe is the standard way for PB apps to display hidden menus - so this action should be your first instinct when you run into problems accessing features in a newly-installed app.

My main goal with this app is to keep it simple to use, responsive and low-cost. I hope that you will be pleasantly surprised by the amount of information packed into the help screens. If you need further assistance, you can consult the app's Facebook page by clicking the link below.

Note that I am working hard to bring smoother motion to the auto-panning feature. RIM is almost at the point that Air apps clan play on a level playing field with native competitors and have easy access to PB's sensors. Unfortunately, as my latest FB post indicates, it's a bit of a struggle right now.
    05-27-12 10:40 AM
    Folks, I must bump this thread. The point & view and auto-pan capabilities of "What's Up" is the coolest thing out there. Please buy this app and check it out. As you move the PlayBook around the sky, the corresponding star view scrolls smoothly with your movements! I cannot say enough about this bargain app!
    Last edited by jcbrunson; 07-30-12 at 08:50 PM. Reason: further flattery
    07-30-12 08:47 PM
    I think it only fair to mention what else is out there, besides the stars and galaxies. I'm an avid stargazer and amateur astronomer. What's Up has definitely got the point and view function. But for sheer beauty, the android Star Chart takes it. It's followed closely by the Playbook version of Stellarium, which for some reason I still can't get to point and view. They're larger production apps, with far more stellar documentation than What's Up.

I also have a relatively long memory when it comes to social faux pas, as I'm also a fellow youth worker. *waves*. I have a bit of a gripe with our Mr Rice after reading his reaction to people giving his app negative reviews, despite the fact that it was maintaining at least a 4 1/2 star review in the app world at the time, and his threat to hold his breath forever. This was a couple of days after I'd regrettably convinced a close friend to take the plunge and make his app her first app world purchase.

At this point, What's Up is sub-par, and hardly a showcase item for the Playbook. I show the youth at my center the things the PlayBook can do that their Androids and iPhones can't do. And I do the same with my co-workers and friends.

This isn't meant to be a vindictive post, despite its noxious tone. I showcase the PlayBook wherever and whenever I can. Since I bought mine in May, I've convinced 3 of my friends to buy one. I now run a dj program for street teens using Caustic and Pacemaker. I fight for RIM, and believe in the company. I do it tenaciously, and without sympathy for our own developers. And i apologize if anyone takes offence from this post. It's just something I feel strongly about, without being the most educated.
    07-30-12 10:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD