05-19-12 02:01 PM
43 12
tools
    @danielbigham
    I agree, these developers threatening to sue other developers under false terms is ridiculous. It's actually sad that, those type of people are the type we have to deal with these days.
    05-17-12 08:19 PM
    Its all quite sad people fighting about who was the first one to make a page of bookmarks links (I think that was actuall yahoo that was the real originator of such a concept)

The best way to not get copied is to create sophisticated apps that require some real skill to develop. My 2 cents.
    05-17-12 09:59 PM
    The best way to not get copied is to create sophisticated apps that require some real skill to develop.
    Actually writing a sophisticated app is not a good way to insulate yourself from another developer trying to beat you at your own game. In fact such "copying" is essential if App World is to evolve.

What's up is not a copy of other apps but I did carefully examine other sky maps and drew inspiration from them. I studied them carefully and imagined ways to differentiate my own product enough so that it could compete. I decided on a design that I would be most comfortable with and built it as best I could given RIM's immature development tools, my own skills (or lack thereof) and my limited resources.

I am proud of the result and you, my customers, have rewarded my efforts by downloading more than a few copies.

Interestingly enough, one of the applications that I looked at was the desktop version of Stellarium and I still use it all the time to verfy my own calulations. Just a few days ago, a port of this wonderful application arrived in App World and is currently being featured. Another app that inspired me was was Google's Sky Map which many people have sideloaded on their PlayBooks.

Am I worried about the competition - not in the least. The reviews that you have been leaving tell me that I am headed in the right direction. Here is one comment that I received yesterday:

"This app is not only functional, it's fun! Now for a Put-Outer to turn off neightbours' porchlights and street lamps! Seriously, the work and level of detail and the simplicity of use are outstanding. Thank you Maurice."

This is exactly what I set out to do when I started development more than a year ago. In the end, "copycat" or not, I have benefited from the experience and I know that the platform is better for it too. So let's not have any more talk of lawsuits and such nonsense in this forum!
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 05-18-12 at 01:46 PM.
    05-18-12 12:58 PM
    Yay another one.
    Anyone who purchased this app, get a refund from appworldbilling@rim.com, send me your App World receipt from buying it, and I'll buy you a free copy of Tablet TV.
    With all the knockoffs flooding App World I'm wondering if I should have just made the app free, this is getting ridiculous.
    What im wondering is... if yours is $1, why are people paying $2... lol
    05-18-12 03:49 PM
    $1 or $2. I think the lesson from the post was that if you buy a list of bookmarks in tablet tv apps you should write for a refund...
    05-18-12 08:38 PM
    $1 or $2. I think the lesson from the post was that if you buy a list of bookmarks in tablet tv apps you should write for a refund...
    I don't know about you, but even at minimum wage you can make $1 in about 8 minutes. If it takes you more than 8 minutes to bookmark every single TV site you'd like to visit (which believe me, it would), then buying Tablet TV actually saves you money.
    And that's assuming you make minimum wage, which I hope you don't.

Have a nice day.
    Last edited by SCrid2000; 05-18-12 at 09:17 PM.
    05-18-12 08:40 PM
    Actually writing a sophisticated app is not a good way to insulate yourself from another developer trying to beat you at your own game. In fact such "copying" is essential if App World is to evolve.

What's up is not a copy of other apps but I did carefully examine other sky maps and drew inspiration from them. I studied them carefully and imagined ways to differentiate my own product enough so that it could compete. I decided on a design that I would be most comfortable with and built it as best I could given RIM's immature development tools, my own skills (or lack thereof) and my limited resources.

I am proud of the result and you, my customers, have rewarded my efforts by downloading more than a few copies.

Interestingly enough, one of the applications that I looked at was the desktop version of Stellarium and I still use it all the time to verfy my own calulations. Just a few days ago, a port of this wonderful application arrived in App World and is currently being featured. Another app that inspired me was was Google's Sky Map which many people have sideloaded on their PlayBooks.

Am I worried about the competition - not in the least. The reviews that you have been leaving tell me that I am headed in the right direction. Here is one comment that I received yesterday:

"This app is not only functional, it's fun! Now for a Put-Outer to turn off neightbours' porchlights and street lamps! Seriously, the work and level of detail and the simplicity of use are outstanding. Thank you Maurice."

This is exactly what I set out to do when I started development more than a year ago. In the end, "copycat" or not, I have benefited from the experience and I know that the platform is better for it too. So let's not have any more talk of lawsuits and such nonsense in this forum!
    This post is so good I liked it, thanked it and now I'm quoting it and typing....

+1
    SCrid2000 and BuzzStarField like this.
    05-18-12 10:26 PM
    What im wondering is... if yours is $1, why are people paying $2... lol
    Actually Shane's app is 1.99, but it's on sale right now for .99. HOWEVER he always has a free version you can get that while somewhat limited (less channels) allows you to see the program and try before you buy and see the interface and how it works before you lay out any money. Also he's a VERY responsive developer. That's one of the great things about the WHOLE PB development community, 90 percent of them are that way.
    05-18-12 10:32 PM
    This post is so good I liked it, thanked it and now I'm quoting it and typing....

+1
    Sucker! See how easy it is for a smooth-talking dev can get away with plagiarizing Google Sky Map.

In the interest of full-disclosure, I am also guilty of manipulating reviews so that I can take advantage of my consumers' right to pass judgement on my app. The following review was automatically denied by RIM's hall monitor and I am going to ask App World to reverse their decision. If you don't like it, tough.

Seriously though. My customers like the way that I have "copied" Google's work and improved on it where I could. There is nothing wrong with this practice and I was more than a little disappointed to see a developer threatening to sue. It's unprofessional and absurd.

And I thank the reviewer for his/her kind words. RIM probably denied the review because iit contains the words "RIM", "Google" and "Android" or perhaps because it used the mild expletive "damn".

--------------------------

Title: RIM should be shopfronting this App: I just downloaded an App on Playbook that made me go "wow"!

Created Date: May 19, 2012 6:24:02 AM
    Release: 1.5.2

Review Body:
    Amazing bargain: lets you point your play book up at the night sky and get a "live" image of "What's Up" there right now - image scrolls as you move your playbook. Easy set up (either using Playbook's inbuilt GPS, or manually entering longditude and latitude). Search function allows you to look for objects by what their name sound like or starts with: and also by "what's up" just now. Developer probably too damn honest about minor glitches that he's fixing: really novel approach. I've seen similar Apps on Android Platform (Google Sky Map) and was resigned to being dissappointed by inferior Apps on Blackperry Marketplace: but I just downloaded an App on my Playbook that made me go "wow!"

---------------------
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 05-19-12 at 09:09 AM.
    05-19-12 07:13 AM
    Gee, I was all go for this app until I saw it offered msnbc, nbc, cnn, etc., ad nauseum. Oh well, atleast the Cox Cable TV Connect app is free, and one can watch over 35 channels; oh wait, that's on the baby girl's iPad....but not to fear, Cox tells me an app for the PlayBook is coming soon, as well as an app for those sad souls who own a droid tablet.
    05-19-12 07:46 AM
    I don't know about you, but even at minimum wage you can make $1 in about 8 minutes. If it takes you more than 8 minutes to bookmark every single TV site you'd like to visit (which believe me, it would), then buying Tablet TV actually saves you money.
    And that's assuming you make minimum wage, which I hope you don't.

Have a nice day.
    It's really sad that developers have to explain that an app that you can buy for a dollar or two can be a great bargain. I know that your app has been doing quite well lately and I congratulate you. People should know that it takes a lot of time and effort to write any app and that very few PlayBook developers are making even minimum wage for their trouble.
    05-19-12 08:17 AM
    Hello is this thing on
    05-19-12 12:59 PM
    Yay another one.
    Anyone who purchased this app, get a refund from appworldbilling@rim.com, send me your App World receipt from buying it, and I'll buy you a free copy of Tablet TV.
    With all the knockoffs flooding App World I'm wondering if I should have just made the app free, this is getting ridiculous.
    Hello

Be careful mr scridd I got my posts removed for posting this exact same type of message...aparently you can get demerit points for telling people to abuse the app world refund process!
    05-19-12 01:03 PM
    Hello

Be careful mr scridd I got my posts removed for posting this exact same type of message...aparently you can get demerit points for telling people to abuse the app world refund process!
    Why won't this gawd-awful thread just die?!!! Perhaps the mods will consider putting it out of its misery.
    05-19-12 01:11 PM
    Hello

He is only telling people that bought a copy of his app thinking it was the original, that they should get a refund and he will give them what they were looking for originally.In my opinion he is being very kind to offer such a thing.
    P.s: SCrid2000 I'm sorry you are having to go through such a bad experience and i hope you can get this fixed.
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    05-19-12 01:14 PM
    I love this app,i just click on a preferred link and it not only takes me to the site but it also lands me directly on the full episodes area.

This is very convenient and with all the available links it provides it well worth 2$

With all the copy cat apps that followed this one,I know i cant be alone in thinking its cool.
    05-19-12 01:39 PM
    He is only telling people that bought a copy of his app thinking it was the original, that they should get a refund and he will give them what they were looking for originally.In my opinion he is being very kind to offer such a thing.
    P.s: SCrid2000 I'm sorry you are having to go through such a bad experience and i hope you can get this fixed.
    But the OP actually bought another app and was very happy with it
    Then he said told the person to get a refund. So now I really am confused as it doesnt seem to be the case what u have said
    05-19-12 01:54 PM
    Omg I just figured it out

Ok anyone who buys any scrapps ripoff policescanner apps should get a refund since they were probably looking for the original scanner radio by gordon edwards? Is that how it works or is he actually a giant hypocrite? He can make bad copies of scanner radio but cant stand competition for tv apps

U see gordon edwards scanner radio was first then shane spammed the store with 100s of inferior copies

Ok mods u can ban me now as I have pointed out hypocrisy in a biased forum
    JennyJinx likes this.
    05-19-12 02:01 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD