A new TV app - I give it 5 star

yaybe.tv - cost is $1.99

inludes CNN, Cnn international, MSNBC

I use it in the Gym

05-15-12 08:48 PM
    Isn't this just an app that will send you to CBS.com and such? If it is, there is Tablet TV and it is only $0.99.
    05-15-12 09:16 PM
    I already own ScApps TabletTV. How is this different or better?
    05-15-12 09:55 PM
    Yay another one.
    Anyone who purchased this app, get a refund from [email protected], send me your App World receipt from buying it, and I'll buy you a free copy of Tablet TV.
    With all the knockoffs flooding App World I'm wondering if I should have just made the app free, this is getting ridiculous.
    may21, KermEd and matthewgreyling like this.
    05-16-12 09:56 AM
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?
    kbz1960 and SCrid2000 like this.
    05-16-12 10:56 AM
    One more TV app from yaybe.tv again?????
    05-16-12 11:14 AM
    Yay another one.
    Anyone who purchased this app, get a refund from [email protected], send me your App World receipt from buying it, and I'll buy you a free copy of Tablet TV.
    With all the knockoffs flooding App World I'm wondering if I should have just made the app free, this is getting ridiculous.
    You think that is bad just count the number of tic tac toe games. It'll blow your mind.
    05-16-12 12:02 PM
    Tell'em Scrid!
    05-16-12 12:38 PM
    Sorry my english is not always good but I wanted to say
    My names Xavier and I created the tou.tv app (the first and original tv app for playbook, version 1.0 releases September 06, 2011)

This is the original TV app and I see there are many many copying apps and this makes me said.

If anyone has bought tablet tv, or hd tablet tv etc. etc .etc (there are dozens)

please email [email protected] to get a refund and download my fantastic app for free
    Free Tou.tv - For BlackBerry PlayBook - Download Tou.tv - For BlackBerry PlayBook - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World

I understand one of the creators of one of the tv copies that copied our app may work for cracberry so this this post will get soon removed.

We came up with the idea for a playbook web tv playing app first and will be pursuing legal action against any of these other applications that has copied ours ideas.

thank you
    I just downloaded your app. It is nothing like Tablet TV. I hope your app gets lots of downloads though, it is a very nice app that does an excellent job of covering the one TV station it covers

Please do pursue legal action. As my app is not substantially similar to yours I know I have nothing to worry about, but the other apps that attempt to copy Tablet TV will likely not know that and might remove their multitude of imitation apps.

If you'd like to talk or would like a copy of Tablet TV, feel free to contact me via PM here on CrackBerry.
    KermEd, hpjrt and danielbigham like this.
    05-16-12 07:02 PM
    Hello

Quite our app is like all the TV copy apps as we were the first to wrap a video website in playbook and we are the original creator of this ideas.

Your app and the others claiming to be original and is very false this is why our case.

I have no use for your app so do not send it to me. I can make an app like that in 10-20 minutes if I need it. I do not.

I will be reporting this to Blackberry legal and app world support as I believe it is time we are seen as the originator and original web video as TV application and do not believe this is to be taken lightly.

Xavier
    Tablet TV is not similar to Tou.TV.
    Have a nice day.
    dablessing and anon(757282) like this.
    05-16-12 07:32 PM
    I have a question. Since there are many messaging apps, paint, drawing, clock etc. Isn't everything other than the true first a copy of the first?
    05-16-12 07:40 PM
    Yay another one.
    I respectfully suggest changing your product name to something more unique, to make your brand(such as it is) stand out and be less prone to imitators hoping to cash in on what you've accomplished. "Tablet TV" is simply too generic a name.
    05-16-12 10:29 PM
    An interesting suggestion, what would you suggest that 1) would still describe what the app does, and 2) wouldn't be imitated anyway?
    05-16-12 10:33 PM
    This is the original TV app and I see there are many many copying apps and this makes me said.

We came up with the idea for a playbook web tv playing app first and will be pursuing legal action against any of these other applications that has copied ours ideas.

thank you
    Tou.TV is just a website, no features, no functionality, no open in new tab. Just happens to have some tv shows on the site if you click enough times... All french only to boot.

Tablet TV is not the same as tou.tv - similar engine is all. In fact RIM made uses a tool for these as webkit. Tablet TV is free and many more channels than tou.TV. Tou.TV just shows a single website - I had a browser out first so if showing a website is legal grounds... . But whats his plan, sue scrid2000 for lost sales for a free app because he made a plain website app to get a playbook at some point? Sigh...

This guy still annoys me lol.

Ed
    Last edited by KermEd; 05-16-12 at 11:31 PM.
    05-16-12 10:36 PM
    An interesting suggestion, what would you suggest that 1) would still describe what the app does, and 2) wouldn't be imitated anyway?
    Oh it will be imitated regardless, tv/web streaming on a tablet isn't a unique idea in itself...how you execute it is, however. It's just simple branding so you avoid confusion. Search App World for "Tablet Tv" and see how many results come up versus a search for "QFolio", and you'll see what I mean. The name itself can have some intrinsic meaning to you, or it may not...as long as what it does has your stamp on it, people will respond to it accordingly if the substance behind the name worth supporting.

Good luck!
    05-16-12 10:56 PM
    Yaybe.tv eeh...

Yaybe.tv Television TV and Video Tablet Apps - BlackBerry App World

Heck hes cloning his own app left right and center lol. I will bet its just a link landing page on his website lol.

Thats why we have so much junk in appworld.

Oh well .

Ed
    Last edited by KermEd; 05-16-12 at 11:27 PM.
    kbz1960 and anon(3896606) like this.
    05-16-12 11:21 PM
    YourTV XP (since we can add personal links) (stands for Your TV Experience) Or New TV XP (New Tv Experience - which banks on the idea that TV is moving away from traditional means)

my 2cents
    05-17-12 09:36 AM
    These are the times I wish we could dislike posts.
    KermEd likes this.
    05-17-12 11:00 AM
    To Xavier : Tou.Tv is an app for the national broadcaster Radio-Canada (the french version of CBC), and is credited as such. They have apps on pretty much every major platforms. Also since it's a government held station I'm pretty sure they have their own developer. To work for a government held station I'm pretty sure english 101 is a prerequisites since you'll have to work in both french and english. Therefore I strongly doubt that you are the real developer of this app.

Also in order to sue somebody you have to hold the intellectual property and this property wouldn't be platform specific. Maybe Tou.tv was the first app of this kind on the playbook but there's been many of this kind on iOs, android and probably also for the blackberry smartphone. Since we have yet to see lawsuit on any of these platform, I don't think such thing would be possible on the sole playbook platform. Although I haven't tried Srib app at the moment from the numerous post I've read on this app, I can guarantee they're very different app, the platform might resemble one another (as it's the case with every app of this style) but the purpose are truly different. Finally, declining Scrib offer to test his app is a non-sense if you what to take legal action since you would have to try is app in order to make claim that they're the same.

To SCrid : I do agree Tablet Tv is a very generic name. Although having a different name would not change the fact that you're app is copied, it would at least spare the confusion for somebody researching you're app and it would be easier to really see who's copying and who's simply using generic name that resemble Tablet Tv. Something like SCridTv - International tv for playbook or simply PlayTv would both be more descriptive of the app and more unique.

My 2 cents
    KermEd likes this.
    05-17-12 11:25 AM
    How ridiculous. My english is better than an introductory '101' level as you call it and is greater than speaking ability many french speaking ability. I warned only to point out that I sometimes make mistakes when I am writing. I have more than the required language abilities to work for my employer.
    I am myself a french canadian from montreal, let's be honest your english is far worse than the average montrealer.

Just so you know, legal document have to be delivered by priority mail as you need a signature from the receiver in order to prove that he or she received the document as intended.
    05-17-12 02:27 PM
    Well lets skip the hassle of a trial and decide this issue by a jury of your peers.

Tou - your app, if you can call it that it is ..... well essentially useless. Unfortunately, appworld doesn't allow for the user base to vote you off the island. If they did, I expect your app and many others would no longer be in appworld. Perhaps you could be the orginal and very first app to be kicked out of appworld

SCrid, great app and look forward to more of your efforts. For your trouble in this thread, I'm going to buy all the folks I know with a PB a nice Tablet TV app.

CASE DISMISSED
    Last edited by Cynycl; 05-17-12 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Very strange, the post I was replying to is gone and it posted my reply to it anyway ????
    KermEd likes this.
    05-17-12 02:28 PM
    LOL

Tou has been MODERATED
    05-17-12 02:56 PM
    Lol! Thanks for the kind words cynycl App deving is kinda rough in that the people you mainly deal with are angry (as with any employment which involves a customer service element, and as any dev can tell you).
    Hopefully now this thread can die.
    kbz1960 and anon(3896606) like this.
    05-17-12 03:15 PM
    I dont think any of these apps are anything special anyway.. you could make your own by just finding your own website channels and saving them in the BB browser which is probably faster that the apps anyway...

They are miss leading as they make out its like an online TV thing, but its not, its just a web browser with all the channels put in a menu...
    05-17-12 06:38 PM
    I just downloaded your app. It is nothing like Tablet TV. I hope your app gets lots of downloads though, it is a very nice app that does an excellent job of covering the one TV station it covers

Please do pursue legal action. As my app is not substantially similar to yours I know I have nothing to worry about, but the other apps that attempt to copy Tablet TV will likely not know that and might remove their multitude of imitation apps.

If you'd like to talk or would like a copy of Tablet TV, feel free to contact me via PM here on CrackBerry.
    "We came up with the idea for a playbook web tv playing app first and will be pursuing legal action against any of these other applications that has copied ours ideas."

Wow... did he really say that?

Anyway, about the number of recent copy-cat TV apps on PlayBook these days... it's an interesting case study of what happens when an app takes the #1 spot on the Top Purchased charts and can be copied by people without a huge amount of technical skill.

For the most part, I think it's all well and good. Let competition do its thing. But it is a bit awkward too, when someone is successful, and then other people come along and try and copy that success. (Especially if it's just to make a quick buck)

I shouldn't pretend to be too high a mighty though... when I saw how well Tablet TV was doing, the thought crossed my mind too... my main reason for not making my own TV app was that I don't like the thought of taking away from Shane's well-deserved monetary encouragement, and making more of the same apps probably isn't the best way to push the PlayBook platform forward.

All that said, it is very clear that people love watching TV on their PlayBook. It's a great use case. The PlayBook excels at that kind of thing. And given that, it makes perfect sense for people (and yes, multiple people) trying to deliver the best TV experience possible.
    05-17-12 07:15 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD