This is an app I wrote for my son, who is on the Autistic Spectrum. This app uses a similar approach to a system called "P.E.C.S." which allows a child to use flash cards to help communicate their needs.

Take pictures of objects familiar to the child with the Playbook camera, then load them in the app.

The child can then click on the object and will be presented with a sentence that the child is encouraged to use when asking for that item.

Video of the app in use can be found here:

Comments and suggestions welcome! Please email or leave feedback. Thank you.

Disclaimer: This app is not intended to treat speech disorders and is not intended to be a replacement for speech therapy.

Appworld link:
    https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs.../54136?lang=en
    08-29-11 10:08 AM
    This is an app I wrote for my son, who is on the Autistic Spectrum. This app uses a similar approach to a system called "P.E.C.S." which allows a child to use flash cards to help communicate their needs.

Take pictures of objects familiar to the child with the Playbook camera, then load them in the app.

The child can then click on the object and will be presented with a sentence that the child is encouraged to use when asking for that item.

Disclaimer: This app is not intended to treat speech disorders and is not intended to be a replacement for speech therapy.

Appworld link:
    I have 2 children on the spectrum, and intend to install this app on my new PB as soon as I can. Thank you!

This is one of those areas in which the comparative lack of interesting PB apps might actually be a benefit in my case. I have a few really good AAC apps on an iPad, but when I give it to my non-verbal son, he's more interested in surfing YouTube or Netflix, and there's no way (except for jailbreaking, perhaps) of removing or hiding apps from the iPad's home screen.

If this works, I may end up having to purchase another PB for my son!
    reissgrant and sedwar12 like this.
    08-29-11 01:10 PM
    Good Job!

I might just buy this and see what my 14 month old thinks.

He already know tapping the screen does things and i found him full screening and un fullscreening a video that was playing on it..

heh

Kids are awesome
    reissgrant and djrakowski like this.
    08-29-11 01:59 PM

Appworld link:
    I glanced over it, and looks good. Have you thought about adding audio link to the images.
    reissgrant likes this.
    08-29-11 02:44 PM
    @jdgarrido: As it is now, my son attempts to speak the sentence so we have no need for it, but I may include it with a future update if users ask for it.
    08-30-11 09:14 AM
    Great looking app!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    reissgrant likes this.
    08-30-11 09:28 AM
    As an SLPA and expert on assistive technology I want to thank you for this app for the Playbook! I use it almost every day with my clients on the Spectrum as well as Down Syndrome, genetic disorders, and TBIs. I love the ability to add our own photos easily! As I have stated in the review I left in AppWorld, it shouldn't be used as a replacement for a PRC or Mayer Johnson device, but is a good stand-in and starting point for those who are language delayed or impaired. Research has shown that the addition of assistive technology with visual, auditory and kinestetic prompts helps increase the chances of verbal ability for children on the spectrum, this app can do that without being over-stimulating!

If I could ask you to add 2 things to a possible future upgrade, it would be the ability to add sound to the pictures as well as categories to easily file pictures....

Great job and I hope your son is doing well in speech therapy!
    Tihani and djrakowski like this.
    02-06-12 09:51 PM
    I have 2 children on the spectrum, and intend to install this app on my new PB as soon as I can. Thank you!

This is one of those areas in which the comparative lack of interesting PB apps might actually be a benefit in my case. I have a few really good AAC apps on an iPad, but when I give it to my non-verbal son, he's more interested in surfing YouTube or Netflix, and there's no way (except for jailbreaking, perhaps) of removing or hiding apps from the iPad's home screen.

If this works, I may end up having to purchase another PB for my son!
    That's the thing with tablets and why SLP's tend to be hesitant in recommending the use of ipads and ipods for AAC devices, especially if they are internet connected. Once the children figure out that they can watch movies and get on the net with them, they turn into a toy. During sessions I end up using it as a reward during break instead of as a TOOL. If the only advice I can give as a professional, it would be this: keep your communication devices as comm devices (ie: a VOICE) and buy them an ipod or whatever for play and keep them separate!!!!

Best of luck to you!
    djrakowski likes this.
    02-07-12 08:51 AM
    I'm respectfully asking for voice to be added!
    02-07-12 08:54 AM
    I don't suppose their is an Ipad version? This would be a great app for my girlfriend's nephew, BUT his parents have an ipad, not a PB. We will put it on our PBs for him, BUT I'd love for the parents to be able to get it.
    02-07-12 09:53 AM
    That's the thing with tablets and why SLP's tend to be hesitant in recommending the use of ipads and ipods for AAC devices, especially if they are internet connected. Once the children figure out that they can watch movies and get on the net with them, they turn into a toy. During sessions I end up using it as a reward during break instead of as a TOOL. If the only advice I can give as a professional, it would be this: keep your communication devices as comm devices (ie: a VOICE) and buy them an ipod or whatever for play and keep them separate!!!!

Best of luck to you!
    Thank you!

I agree wholeheartedly, and I'm going to push the school district to provide us with a Lightwriter. I'd love to get him one myself, but they're ridiculously expensive!

I no longer have a Playbook. And I can't lay my iPhone on the counter for even a second - if I do, Jake (who turns 13 next month - where did the time go?) goes diving after it to watch videos on Netflix. He digs through mom's purse to find her iPhone when I'm not home. The kid is highly motivated by videos and other screen-time activities. I wish I could figure out how to keep him on-task!

I may revisit the idea of carrying a smaller tablet, like a Playbook, as a supplemental communications aide in situations where it would be impractical to carry a Lightwriter or similar device. As long as I can mute the sound, it'd be a great device to carry with us to church!
    02-21-12 02:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD