Well, I know this is simple for some of you seasoned devs, but I have just craeted my first app, took me 3 hours.

All it does at the minute is display www.myconnectwise.co.uk in a StageWebView. This is something I wanted for work.

I will be extending it soon and developing it, but this is my first ever Adobe AIR app, used to program in Java 10 years ago. Got other ideas for more apps but wanted to do something simple first.

Just waiting for RIM to signed me up for the App World Portal.
    04-20-12 05:06 PM
    You could've achieved the same thing with a webworks app in just a few lines of code.
    04-20-12 05:16 PM
    This belongs in the App or Dev forum.
    04-20-12 06:20 PM
    You could've achieved the same thing with a webworks app in just a few lines of code.
    Yes, but he has some background in Java. Now that he's created a "hello world" version in using Air/AS3, he can extend his knowledge of an SDK that is more Java-like and powerful than Webworks. Another good reason to learn about AS3 is that while Webworks allows you to do simple things simply, it will not allow you to do many complex things without using Air extensions.
    KermEd likes this.
    04-20-12 06:22 PM
    This belongs in the App or Dev forum.
    But it's so educational!

Don't you think that it is worthwhile for lay people to gain a bit of understanding of the technical side of things? That way there would not be so many misconceptions and myths perpetrated by well-meaning consumers who comment in these forums (but don't really understand the various development option available to professionals like myself).
    04-20-12 06:27 PM
    Congratulations! Welcome! I am a fellow developer doing stuff in WebWorks, but one of these days would like to learn Adobe AIR. I have published my app to Appworld and all is great! Blackberry rulez!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    04-20-12 07:16 PM
    Well done John!
    04-20-12 09:18 PM
    Can someone direct a total newb to where I could start tinkering with app development? What is the best to use, where are tools I need? I'm tech savvy and quick to learn, but just need some initial guidance! I have so many ideas!!!
    ambarmetta likes this.
    04-20-12 10:06 PM
    I'm using Flash Builder 4.6 like the mini site for air development on blackberry.com advises.

Relating to the person who said you can use WebWorks to do the same thing, I know I could have but as an ex Java programmer I pre fare AIR and got some ideas (mainly a database type app) that would be harder to do in WebWorks.

This app is for something that I need personally for work and easy to do so I can get used to the development tools (never used Eclipse before).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    04-21-12 04:25 AM
    Can someone direct a total newb to where I could start tinkering with app development? What is the best to use, where are tools I need? I'm tech savvy and quick to learn, but just need some initial guidance! I have so many ideas!!!
    Lesson #1: Use the search box first, ask questions later.

There are lots of threads in the forum about getting started. Type the names of the main dev tools into the search box, for example "NDK ActionScript Webworks" and you're good to go.

Here to the getting started page on RIM's site:
    https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/devzone/platforms

At the bottom of the page, you will find a link to the official developer forums. Remember lesson #1.
    04-21-12 06:05 AM
    I'm using Flash Builder 4.6 like the mini site for air development on blackberry.com advises.

Relating to the person who said you can use WebWorks to do the same thing, I know I could have but as an ex Java programmer I pre fare AIR and got some ideas (mainly a database type app) that would be harder to do in WebWorks.

This app is for something that I need personally for work and easy to do so I can get used to the development tools (never used Eclipse before).
    I'll add my congrats to the above...

As an ex-softie myself (so, so, long ago LOL) I've created a few simple demo apps for my own amusement too, but found it a bit of a challenge to create AIR apps using ActionScript because I kept having to refer to the AS3 book for syntax issues instead of just getting on with the app.

My background is C/C++ and I'm looking forward to seeing the Cascades API incorporated into a polished NDK so I can focus on the app rather than the language.

And, to echo what's been said above, it is educational for folk to realise that app creation (given the ambition and background) isn't rocket-science. Good apps take time, but creating "something" you can build on isn't that hard and is more achievable than many might think.
    04-21-12 06:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD