Maybe RIM should just work on a Silverlight plug so they don't have to deal with individual apps anymore and it would have the most advanced browser on a tablet.

ZINGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I agree. The browser on the PB is excellent and if it could run Silverlight then we'd have a choice not just of Netflix, but other services too such as Love Film here in the UK (part of Amazon), and many of the TV watch-again services.

Personally, I'm not a fan of having to have specific apps for everything. I'm much happier just to have it as a favorite on the browser that I can load up in a heartbeat. Why have 10 apps (like you have to have on iOS) when one app - the browser - could do everything?
    03-15-12 12:37 PM
    I agree. The browser on the PB is excellent and if it could run Silverlight then we'd have a choice not just of Netflix, but other services too such as Love Film here in the UK (part of Amazon), and many of the TV watch-again services.

Personally, I'm not a fan of having to have specific apps for everything. I'm much happier just to have it as a favorite on the browser that I can load up in a heartbeat. Why have 10 apps (like you have to have on iOS) when one app - the browser - could do everything?
    That's the thing that some people don't get: the browser pales in functionality when compared to specific apps.

Dropbox? HandBase? Mint.com? Evernote, DGT/Toodledo? Mobile websites do not measure up to well-designed websites. These are business apps I use everyday.

I have NEVER seen someone with access to good apps actually prefer bookmarks, but hey.
    03-15-12 01:00 PM
    That's the thing that some people don't get: the browser pales in functionality when compared to specific apps.

Dropbox? HandBase? Mint.com? Evernote, DGT/Toodledo? Mobile websites do not measure up to well-designed websites. These are business apps I use everyday.

I have NEVER seen someone with access to good apps actually prefer bookmarks, but hey.
    Who uses mobile sites?
    03-15-12 01:05 PM

See... Apple did a great job making everyone "WANT" apps because of the inefficiencies of iOS and no capability of flash.

I prefer web based stuff. I have the score website bookmarked instead of using the app, i have Facebook bookmarked instead of using the app... The web based sites are much better than apps. So this whole argument that we need apps is stupid. Apple created a vision that requires apps for almost everything that can be accessed by a good browser. A lot of iOS apps are also just launchers to the website as well. Which is just dumb.

If Apple had supported flash, we wouldn't have seen 3/4 of the apps that are available. So they created the App craze and everyone demands it now.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-15-12 01:18 PM
    Netflix is stupid. if i ran a corporation i would do anything to get much revenue from customers as possible. If only ONE customer needed my service i would gladly provided to that one individual (hence that costs wont go over revenue). I would provide that customer with anything to bring in their revenue as long as it doesnt affect any other customers. Honestly Netflix has nothing to lose to bring an app to playbook. Im certain revenues will exceed costs even if they charge .99 cents for that app everyone would still buy it. If they make an app for the playbook its not going to affect any other platform!

To tell you the truth, if mobile nations was a world right now, developers are straight racist against the blackberry culture. END THE RACISM DEVELOPERS!!
    03-15-12 01:26 PM
    See... Apple did a great job making everyone "WANT" apps because of the inefficiencies of iOS and no capability of flash.

I prefer web based stuff. I have the score website bookmarked instead of using the app, i have Facebook bookmarked instead of using the app... The web based sites are much better than apps. So this whole argument that we need apps is stupid. Apple created a vision that requires apps for almost everything that can be accessed by a good browser. A lot of iOS apps are also just launchers to the website as well. Which is just dumb.

If Apple had supported flash, we wouldn't have seen 3/4 of the apps that are available. So they created the App craze and everyone demands it now.
    See, the problem with your line of thought is the built-in idea that people want apps because that mean, bad Man wants them to.

For the record, I have Facebook bookmarked too. I feel the app is sufficient. I also bookmark ESPN, my bank site and others. Don't need redundant apps.

The only people I see complaining about the availability of apps are BB users who, coincidentally, don't have access to apps.

Applications increase functionality. They allow people to be more productive.

Now, I am not trying to change your mind. You really cannot argue the efficacy of apps with someone who uses a smartphone that is, by definition, a conglomeration of apps, so I won't try. But anyone who argues that, say, Dropbox Mobile is more effective than a native app is being silly (at best).
    03-15-12 03:10 PM
    snip snip... To tell you the truth, if mobile nations was a world right now, developers are straight racist against the blackberry culture. END THE RACISM DEVELOPERS!!
    Now THAT should get some action! Start using the race card, and Netflix will be on their knees in no time. Now where is that close thread button again???
    03-15-12 03:27 PM
    Apple makes money with selling apps instead of making a real browser. That what this is about.
    03-15-12 03:42 PM
    See, the problem with your line of thought is the built-in idea that people want apps because that mean, bad Man wants them to.

For the record, I have Facebook bookmarked too. I feel the app is sufficient. I also bookmark ESPN, my bank site and others. Don't need redundant apps.

The only people I see complaining about the availability of apps are BB users who, coincidentally, don't have access to apps.

Applications increase functionality. They allow people to be more productive.

Now, I am not trying to change your mind. You really cannot argue the efficacy of apps with someone who uses a smartphone that is, by definition, a conglomeration of apps, so I won't try. But anyone who argues that, say, Dropbox Mobile is more effective than a native app is being silly (at best).
    I think we should all be able to agree some apps are needed and wanted and some of the wanted ones might not be so necessary with a good browser or needed but some will still want those also.

The ones that can't be done with the browser those are the need and want for many.
    03-15-12 03:50 PM
    Other reasons are RIM's reliance on proprietary technology
    Last I checked RIM uses industry standards. Not proprietary anything. If you want proprietary look at Apple even my friend who loves his Mac Book admits its outrageous to pay 50bucks just so he can plug in his HDMI.
    03-15-12 04:15 PM
    meh i cancelled netflix. in Canada they were utter crap. I'll stick to streaming my content/downloading. Now that I can download torrents via my playbook netflix can lick a n*t
    03-15-12 04:55 PM
    meh i cancelled netflix. in Canada they were utter crap. I'll stick to streaming my content/downloading. Now that I can download torrents via my playbook netflix can lick a n*t
    Yes! Netflix s*ks, but stealing rocks!!
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-15-12 10:11 PM
    Just watched a show off Netflix on my Playbook using Splashtop. Worked great at home. Now if it works as well out and about then I'll be a happy man.
    03-15-12 10:32 PM

The above is not entirely factual. What you prefer is relevant only to you. By the number of devices with large app catalogs being sold, it would appear your preference would fall in the minority.
    At least one banking app has functionality not available on the web version. Other apps that have web equivalents are easier to navigate on a touchscreen. In any regard, apps that "replace" websites are only a small part of the app ecosystem. To harp on that one point to show apps are not needed/wanted by the public shows an unfamiliarity with what is available. What's dumb is a platform that does not have parity.
    This same old argument about platforms with a lot apps is used over and over, usually on forums where app traction is nil. Once that platform reaches parity, you see less of these comments. Once RIM has a great app catalog, you will be hard pressed to find a lot of people complaining about too many apps. Hopefully there will not be as many crapapps.
    03-16-12 06:56 AM
    Who uses mobile sites?
    I already use mobile web sites regularly and the trend is going to increase rapidly with HTML5.

A well designed mobile site looks pretty much exactly like a well designed app. Indeed, it is impossible to tell the difference.

I think the trend for people wanting to have hundreds of different apps on a tablet is going to decline once it is possible to use a mobile site that does exactly the same thing.

A fine example would indeed be Netflix. If you could go to their mobile site, select the film and then watch full screen, what's the difference between that and an app.

Some of the functionality that HTML5 allows is awesome and the UI possibilities are terrific. There's hardly anything you can't do with HTML5 that you can do in an app, which starts to negate the need for apps.

Obviously, if the app has no online requirement then there will be benefits to having it on the tablet only, but if it needs to access the web to get the data (e.g. Netflix or BBC iPlayer), then HTML5 is the way to go.

And as we all know. The PB is getting stronger and stronger regarding HTML5.
    03-16-12 09:35 AM
    I work with a major retailer who is about to take most of the functionality out of their app and move it to the browser. Far easier to maintain and update.
    03-16-12 10:05 AM
    I work with a major retailer who is about to take most of the functionality out of their app and move it to the browser. Far easier to maintain and update.
    A retailer? Why do they need an app? Just curious.
    03-16-12 10:39 AM
    2008 started the era of the app (yes there were apps stores before 2008). People appear to be looking for an experience beyond web browsers. Whether it's an HTML5 app or a native app, it seems the public prefers an app for their favorite items. The app is not going anywhere anytime soon. An app on a tablet home screen differentiates your product. People apparently don't want to go to a browser, that experience is no different than a PC.

If you imagine people's home screens are going to be replaced with nothing but HTML5 bookmark links, not going to happen. Part of the enjoyment is the download. May not seem like that, but people enjoy downloading. The download numbers from two major platforms proof this out.

Platforms that don't adapt will suffer. This is evidenced by two recent platforms.

For those that can't understand the populartiy/functionality of apps, do a test. Open Amazon in a android browser (Flash), then open the Amazon app on an android device . Then do the same thing for Bestbuy, BOA, Chase, or whatever you prefer. What do you notice?

You can't sell a web browser, but you can make a pitch for an app.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 03-16-12 at 01:27 PM.
    03-16-12 10:57 AM
    Here's an example of app functionality vs its website counterpart. I have this website bookmarked in my phone:

Metcalf (Overland Park)

I also have the My24 app. With the app, I can sort results by class type, specific instructor, specific day, etc. I'll take some screenshots in a bit when I can use my phone.
    03-16-12 12:56 PM
    If Apple had supported flash, we wouldn't have seen 3/4 of the apps that are available.
    Interestingly,.....if Apple had supported Flash, it would probably still be supported by Adobe. I mean I know you can still view things with Flash,.....but it is going away. That's a fight that history has shown Steve Jobs won.

Good riddance anyway. Flash is a glitchy resource hog and Apple encouraged pretty much all of the innovative developers to turn out great work by refusing to support it. Win-Win. Think of all the $$$ that has been made (by apple, yes...but much more for the developers) by making that one decision.
    Last edited by tchocky77; 03-16-12 at 03:03 PM.
    03-16-12 03:01 PM
    I do not use Netflix and as long as it is not availble on MY DEVICES there is little chance that will change.
    03-16-12 03:39 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD