Netflix now used on close to 1000 Android devices — Online Video News

But it can't support the playbook.

Heck netflix even supports CyanogenMod 7 and CyanogenMod 9.

I don't use netflix but as developers are complaining about android hardware defragmentation, they go the opposite way.

I wonder how much longer they are going to last?
    03-14-12 10:29 PM
    03-14-12 10:50 PM
    Noted.

If it bugs you that much, you should report my thread.
    03-14-12 11:03 PM
    RIM is repsoncable to provide content on the PlayBook. Just because NetFlix will not provide content due to their partnerships with Apple and Google.
    All this does is open the door for companies that don't care about the make of your money.
    03-14-12 11:09 PM
    RIM is repsoncable to provide content on the PlayBook. Just because NetFlix will not provide content due to their partnerships with Apple and Google.
    All this does is open the door for companies that don't care about the make of your money.
    Agreed but if Google paid to have netflix support 1000 devices, what's the rate of return vs. A single device?

As well, did Google pay netflix to support custom roms?

I guess the underlying point is, why support 1000 different hardware variations?

Popular game developer halts work on Android | ZDNet
    03-14-12 11:17 PM
    Windows Phone 7 launched with Netflix so it's not just Google and Apple.
    03-15-12 12:06 AM
    Agreed but if Google paid to have netflix support 1000 devices, what's the rate of return vs. A single device?

As well, did Google pay netflix to support custom roms?

I guess the underlying point is, why support 1000 different hardware variations?

Popular game developer halts work on Android | ZDNet
    Neither Google nor Apple paid Netflix anything.
    app_Developer likes this.
    03-15-12 12:11 AM
    Windows Phone 7 launched with Netflix so it's not just Google and Apple.
    The answer is in the make of the money then. I think it's clear that the big three in the US are doing what's in their power to hold back the PlayBook by delaying and denying content and apps. Believe what you want but the evidence is clear. Hopefully it backfires.
    thymaster likes this.
    03-15-12 12:17 AM
    The answer is in the make of the money then. I think it's clear that the big three in the US are doing what's in their power to hold back the PlayBook by delaying and denying content and apps. Believe what you want but the evidence is clear. Hopefully it backfires.
    What exactly is the "evidence"? The absence of a Netflix app?
    03-15-12 12:29 AM
    What exactly is the "evidence"? The absence of a Netflix app?
    I know you have your nose in all the CB threads, I don't think I have to spell it out for you. You just be happy that for now it's the way you like it.
    EricB1968 and thymaster like this.
    03-15-12 12:35 AM
    I know you have your nose in all the CB threads, I don't think I have to spell it out for you. You just be happy that for now it's the way you like it.
    I'm going to go ahead and translate this as "I have no evidence other than the absence of a Netflix app." Thanks for clarifying.
    03-15-12 12:51 AM
    News Flash: Microsoft has a poor relationship with Google and is involved in several lawsuits against them.

Second News Flash: Apple has a disastrous relationship with Google and is involved in lots of lawsuits against them. Their late CEO also vowed to destroy Google.

Third News Flash: Google is actively suing Apple on several fronts and has sued Microsoft in the past.

No one is conspiring against RIM, largely because RIM is not even on their radar.

FWIW, one reason there is no app is the same as why there is no app for the TouchPad. The market share is not there and they don't see it coming. RIM has also hardly been the most easy company for developers to work with in the past so there is a cost factor for maintaining an app for a small market share product. Other reasons are RIM's reliance on proprietary technology, its love of exclusivity in the past, and the fact that RIM is developing competing products. Decisions are based upon business realities of cost, benefit, and projected profit. RIM made fewer Playbooks in its full production run than Apple probably sells iPads in a month, or devices for which Microsoft and Google license Windows, Windows Phone, and Android OSs every few days. They are not all getting together around some satanic altar to plot the destruction of the Playbook. People really need to check the conspiracy garbage at the door - it is very embarrassing.
    03-15-12 12:57 AM
    1000 devices and maybe dozens of them are netflix HD capable.

Anyone can make a netflix app, but RIM doesn't want the SD version. The problem is that RIM doesn't understand the consumer world --- wii is the most popular netflix platform.
    03-15-12 01:01 AM
    Netflix doesn't require a separate app for each of those devices. Once they design it for one Android device, it should work on most of them. The PlayBook is a different beast entirely since it is using emulation. This includes anything running on Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, or any Android custom ROM.

The PlayBook is different in that it uses emulation. They have to make a version specific for the PlayBook to get it to work. Given how Android apps tend not to be as smooth as a native PB app (take a look at Dolphin HD for instance), it's entirely possible that the viewing experience would be less than optimal when running the Netflix app through the Android Player - and that's what Netflix is concerned about.
    03-15-12 01:29 AM
    Netflix doesn't require a separate app for each of those devices. Once they design it for one Android device, it should work on most of them. The PlayBook is a different beast entirely since it is using emulation. This includes anything running on Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, or any Android custom ROM.

The PlayBook is different in that it uses emulation. They have to make a version specific for the PlayBook to get it to work. Given how Android apps tend not to be as smooth as a native PB app (take a look at Dolphin HD for instance), it's entirely possible that the viewing experience would be less than optimal when running the Netflix app through the Android Player - and that's what Netflix is concerned about.
    (1) Netflix has SD and HD versions. It is the SD version that people extract from one android device and put it onto another. The SD version doesn't require DRM.
    (2) Netflix HD is entirely a different beast. These are highly specific to specific silicons and have a long list of requirements with DRM.
    (3) The Playbook doesn't use emulation. Android is a virtual machine sitting on top of the linux kernel. RIM took the Android VM source code, ported it and put this VM on top of the QNX kernel.
    (4) RIM wants HD video and all video decoding are going to be done by native codes anyway.
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    03-15-12 01:45 AM
    Lack of Netflix is one of my peeves, too. It's available for Windows, iOS, Android and just about every computing device in the universe, except for the Playbook. RIM should pay whatever bribes it takes to fix this oversight.
    03-15-12 02:33 AM
    FWIW, one reason there is no app is the same as why there is no app for the TouchPad. The market share is not there and they don't see it coming. RIM has also hardly been the most easy company for developers to work with in the past so there is a cost factor for maintaining an app for a small market share product. Other reasons are RIM's reliance on proprietary technology, its love of exclusivity in the past, and the fact that RIM is developing competing products. Decisions are based upon business realities of cost, benefit, and projected profit. RIM made fewer Playbooks in its full production run than Apple probably sells iPads in a month, or devices for which Microsoft and Google license Windows, Windows Phone, and Android OSs every few days. They are not all getting together around some satanic altar to plot the destruction of the Playbook. People really need to check the conspiracy garbage at the door - it is very embarrassing.
    WP7 having Netflix disputes this claim as it has no marketshare. I've seen at least a couple Playbooks in the wild, but only one WP7 device, and that was with a Microsoft employee. The difference is that Microsoft throws cash at developers and probably Netflix, RIM doesn't seem to be doing what is needed or has decided to do it all themselves. They really do need to get these major cross-platform apps on the Playbook, at whatever cost, but it obviously is not just about marketshare or WP7 would have no apps.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-15-12 06:33 AM
    WP7 having Netflix disputes this claim as it has no marketshare. I've seen at least a couple Playbooks in the wild, but only one WP7 device, and that was with a Microsoft employee. The difference is that Microsoft throws cash at developers and probably Netflix, RIM doesn't seem to be doing what is needed or has decided to do it all themselves. They really do need to get these major cross-platform apps on the Playbook, at whatever cost, but it obviously is not just about marketshare or WP7 would have no apps.
    And yet WP already has more apps then BB. There might be something to what you are saying.

btw I've seen way more WP devices out in the wild then playbooks.
    03-15-12 07:07 AM
    Netflix now used on close to 1000 Android devices — Online Video News

But it can't support the playbook.

Heck netflix even supports CyanogenMod 7 and CyanogenMod 9.

I don't use netflix but as developers are complaining about android hardware defragmentation, they go the opposite way.

I wonder how much longer they are going to last?
    Maybe RIM should just work on a Silverlight plug so they don't have to deal with individual apps anymore and it would have the most advanced browser on a tablet.

I'm going to go ahead and translate this as "I have no evidence other than the absence of a Netflix app." Thanks for clarifying.
    ZINGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-15-12 07:27 AM
    I'm beginning to wonder if its Netflix or is it RIM.....
    OneArmJack and Willard814 like this.
    03-15-12 07:28 AM
    I hope if it ever happens they don't just port the android app. That would he dumb as they don't seem to work real well yet.
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-15-12 08:33 AM
    I hope if it ever happens they don't just port the android app. That would he dumb as they don't seem to work real well yet.
    I would gladly take the ported Netflix app over the current selection.
    03-15-12 08:39 AM
    I guess if you want to come back on here and complain about how much it buffers etc. Why oh why can't RIM get it right. I can see it.
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-15-12 08:44 AM
    News Flash: Microsoft has a poor relationship with Google and is involved in several lawsuits against them.

Second News Flash: Apple has a disastrous relationship with Google and is involved in lots of lawsuits against them. Their late CEO also vowed to destroy Google.

Third News Flash: Google is actively suing Apple on several fronts and has sued Microsoft in the past.

No one is conspiring against RIM, largely because RIM is not even on their radar.

But conspiracy theories are so much fun...
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-15-12 11:24 AM
    Can a moderator please close this thread?!?!?
    03-15-12 11:31 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD