03-15-12 10:27 AM
28 12
tools
    Good morning. I know it's an exciting day for everyone. It is for me too. I have my Playbook on order at Bestbuy and will be picking it up this morning when they open. Anyway, was wondering if any has had the chance of testing the Netflix android app to see if it's working on the Playbook or if there is any news on a native app coming soon?

Thanks and enjoy the upgrade.
    02-21-12 08:08 AM
    To answer your question. Netflix is not working on the playbook as of yet. The only way to watch Netflix movies is to setup playon ( Watch TV shows, sports, movies from Hulu, ESPN, Netflix, Comedy Central and more on PS3, Wii, Xbox, iPhone, iPad, or Android phone. | What's PlayOn? | PlayOn ) on a pc that is always running and you can then watch Netflix on your playbook from wherever you are by going to m.playon.tv through your web browser.
    KermEd likes this.
    02-21-12 06:42 PM
    Ahhh playon. I remembering using that service some years ago for my Xbox 360.
    02-21-12 07:28 PM
    There was a thread on here a week ago where a few people contacted netflix and we're told the app is in the works
    02-21-12 07:34 PM
    i Just downloaded the splashtop app on my playbook, it seems to work alright to connect remotely to my PC. you can watch netflix using this, but it can be choppy at times
    02-21-12 10:08 PM
    As for the Video store, people don't want to buy stuff at a niche store, they want to buy on a service that will work on other devices too.
    02-22-12 01:49 AM
    To answer your question. Netflix is not working on the playbook as of yet. The only way to watch Netflix movies is to setup playon ( Watch TV shows, sports, movies from Hulu, ESPN, Netflix, Comedy Central and more on PS3, Wii, Xbox, iPhone, iPad, or Android phone. | What's PlayOn? | PlayOn ) on a pc that is always running and you can then watch Netflix on your playbook from wherever you are by going to m.playon.tv through your web browser.
    Has anyone actually tried to sideload the Android Netflix app on the official 2.0 yet? I don't even know if anyone has created a .bar file for that matter.

I use the PlayOn semi-solution, and I believe the rumors that a native Netflix app will appear at some point, but it'd be nice to know whether the Android app works now.

Edit: I see that KermEd collected a bunch of Netflix .bar files in another thread. I tried what appeared to be the latest one and it still doesn't work.
    Last edited by JasW; 02-22-12 at 11:09 AM.
    02-22-12 10:02 AM
    As for the Video store, people don't want to buy stuff at a niche store, they want to buy on a service that will work on other devices too.
    This is a nice little generalization, but false.

I'd be perfectly happy with having a video store on my PlayBook alone. No interest at all in watching on other devices.

No doubt I'm in a minority but that doesn't invalidate my point...
    monicainhawaii and collapsed like this.
    02-22-12 10:11 AM

I'd be perfectly happy with having a video store on my PlayBook alone. No interest at all in watching on other devices.

the beneifits of hdmi out.. PB becomes a movie player.
    02-22-12 10:23 AM
    Not sure if it's because I did something wrong, or it just doesn't work.

But I signed/converted the netflix apk and just getting a black screen.
    02-22-12 11:26 AM
    Rats....I sooooooooo want this to work.
    02-22-12 01:01 PM
    Agreed. Don't make assumptions though, as you can play this content on multiple platforms (same idea as NetFlix):

1.) Go to BlackBerry Video Store and you can login to your RoxioNow (formerly CinemaNow) account & view your library ... you can stream movies/tv shows from your computer as well there.

RoxioNow also has plenty of supported 3rd party devices, iPhone, iPad, etc. PlayBook just happens to be one now. In fact, it apparently has the largest amount of supported devices of all video streaming platforms (their claim, not mine )
    02-22-12 01:35 PM
    Has anyone actually tried to sideload the Android Netflix app on the official 2.0 yet? I don't even know if anyone has created a .bar file for that matter.

I use the PlayOn semi-solution, and I believe the rumors that a native Netflix app will appear at some point, but it'd be nice to know whether the Android app works now.

Edit: I see that KermEd collected a bunch of Netflix .bar files in another thread. I tried what appeared to be the latest one and it still doesn't work.
    I've tested several Netflix bar files as well. Also tested modded Netflix files (they were modded to work on other devices that don't have netflix available for download yet). None of them worked yet hopefully we will see one soon, I don't see it being a big issue probably something with the video player within the android app player or the codecs installed.
    02-22-12 02:55 PM

Hmmm, paying $15 for a movie I can watch only on my playbook...or paying $8 for access to a service that I can access on my Xbox, wii, PS3, iphones, ipad, mac, PC, Vita, kindle fire, android, apple tv or dvd player. I know I'm in the minority, but I'd sure love to see netflix and or hulu ported over to the playbook. (and a side note, I'd buy alot more apps for the playbook if their android and iOS counterparts weren't 20% of the price or free...IF you can find them on the playbook.). I realize this isn't RIM's fault, but it sure would be good to know someone at RIM cared about this issue to say something about it. Ugh.
    02-22-12 07:57 PM
    I just cancelled Netflix and tweeted to @netflix and @netflixhelps that I'll rejoin once they have a netflix app. I encourage everyone to do the same.
    robkd, gwmadrigal, CDM76 and 2 others like this.
    02-22-12 08:26 PM
    Good, now you can subscribe to amazon prime and stream movies from your playbook browser. It works great.
    02-22-12 11:58 PM
    Unless you don't live in the USA. Which I don't.
    02-23-12 12:22 AM
    Cancelling your service actually does get their attention.... Have enough people do it someting will give......If you want to complain to Netflix by email or phone..........Complaining on forums gets you nowhere..... it is a fruitless exercise.....
    02-23-12 12:41 AM

Your reply was to a valid, yet poorly-worded point.

'Most people' would in fact prefer a cross-platform streaming service.
    02-24-12 01:22 AM
    I would say that the biggest reason that most of aren't satisfied without Netflix is that we already have paid subscriptions and see all of our peers on other platforms with Netflix.
    02-24-12 01:56 AM
    i just canceled my netflix and let them know about it on their twitter.
    02-24-12 01:59 AM
    They don't support Linux either, but at least they support my 4 inch phone. The Playbook would be great because of the HDMI port. RIM needs to open the wallet and pay them.
    02-24-12 02:02 AM
    PlayOn & the PlayBook work perfectly together for NetFlix, Hulu, Amazon, Pandora and lots of other channels like ESPN, Comedy Central, MTV and lots of others... PlayOn with those other channels is a perfect fit for the playbook.. If you must have a playbook with a netflix and hulu, get playon..
    02-24-12 02:03 AM
    Hey, I found this spreadsheet of a list of android apps being tested on 2.0...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_US#gid=0

..and it says that netflix is 'Tested & Works', on row 1007. I'm a newbie to playbook, can anyone verify that it works, and how to go through the process?
    03-11-12 03:33 AM
    PlayOn & the PlayBook work perfectly together for NetFlix, Hulu, Amazon, Pandora and lots of other channels like ESPN, Comedy Central, MTV and lots of others... PlayOn with those other channels is a perfect fit for the playbook.. If you must have a playbook with a netflix and hulu, get playon..
    I still have yet to get PlayOn to work smoothly. Whenever I do get it to work (I usually get that "stream is null" error) the lag is horrendous.
    03-11-12 04:20 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD