Just called Netflix and canceled my membership as does not work on Playbook.
    The girl on the line at Netflix asked me why and I her that it does not work. She told me it is RIM that has to make an app for the Playbook not Netflix and that RIM has not been doing it but she believes it is coming as they have had a lot of inquires on getting it from Playbook owners and others have canceled their membership as well because of this. I asked her to make a note in my file that this is the only reason i'm cancelling it and when it works on Playbook that I would reconsider.
    03-22-12 11:56 AM
    I think it gets missed in a lot of the threads that with the exception of PC OSes, it is up to the hardware manufacturer to code the netflix player. Who do you think codes the Netflix player in your TVs, BlueRay Players, XBox, Apple TV, Wii, and etc?

I think part of the delay was the PlayBook needed a compatible hardware based way to handle the DRM in Netflix. Perhaps now that there is a RIM video store, there will be the ability to make a DRM compatible Netflix player. Or, perhaps RIM doesn't want Netfilx to compete with their video Player.
    Last edited by robsteve; 03-22-12 at 12:13 PM.
    baldo likes this.
    03-22-12 12:10 PM
    I cancelled on March 15th and don't miss it at all. With all the web videos, BB Movies, sideload movies, etc. I have more than enough.
    As for BB being responsible that is just a weak line. They themselves tweeted that they had no plans to get a Playbook app. That is what got me to cancel.

RIM would like to have Netflix on their devices as they know some people give Netflix priority when making choices. Netflix has not even submitted the android app to AppWorld and that is for reasons that have nothing to do with RIM.
    RubiKean likes this.
    03-22-12 12:26 PM
    I'm a little puzzled as why hardware manufacturers are the ones to create an app.

How is the hardware manufacturer suppose to have access to video streams to create an app?

Don't quote me on this but I rememeber reading somewhere that for video content on Netfilx, license fees are hardware specific.

example. Netflix will need to pay a license fee for video streaming on an iPad and a separate licensing fee for android etc.
    Last edited by narci; 03-22-12 at 12:36 PM.
    03-22-12 12:33 PM
    Just called Netflix and canceled my membership as does not work on Playbook.
    The girl on the line at Netflix asked me why and I her that it does not work. She told me it is RIM that has to make an app for the Playbook not Netflix and that RIM has not been doing it but she believes it is coming as they have had a lot of inquires on getting it from Playbook owners and others have canceled their membership as well because of this. I asked her to make a note in my file that this is the only reason i'm cancelling it and when it works on Playbook that I would reconsider.
    Netflix streams in Silverlight - currently not available for the Playbook OS,..
    but - If I am not mistaken - Silverlight is not available for iOS either - and NetFlix "had" to make an HTML5 based client for iPad/iPhone ... they also provide several API's to use for accessing NetFlix... SO .. perhaps IF some competent developers approached NetFlix - the same could have been done for the Playbook.

So why this CSR told you that RIM had to make... sounds weird... but - remember - the people you reach on the phone has NO clue about what is going on - they are just there to take your call and to say whatever it takes to make you happy.
    03-22-12 01:05 PM
    As far as I know, the people at the first level of customer service at any company are not knowledgeable about the inner-workings of their company. Their job is to answer basic questions and handle simple tasks like billing issues, upsell you on new services etc. It's not their job to know about what apps are coming down the pipe.

In most cases when you want to cancel their service, they'll offer you a free month of service in order to change your mind. In more extreme cases they will outright lie to you.

If there really is a NetFlix app being developed for the PlayBook, then I think blogs like CrackBerry or N4BB or even Engadget would pick up on it before the lowly customer support rep at the bottom rung of the ladder at Netflix HQ hears about it in a memo.
    03-22-12 01:17 PM
    Are there not multiple threads on the EXACT topic already?
    03-22-12 02:24 PM
    ^^^ Silverlight DOES work on iOS and MAC.

**Edit. Everything I read says it doesn't support IOS, I could have swore it did however.
    Last edited by FreeJACLive; 03-22-12 at 02:35 PM.
    03-22-12 02:31 PM
    I would prob sign up for netflix if it worked on the playbook, but since it doesn't they won't gain me as a customer. I have tons of other devices netflix works on but it's the fact of the matter, lol
    03-22-12 02:34 PM
    'til the video store is available in Mexico, I'm sticking with my Netflix account, I'll stream thru splashtop
    03-22-12 06:47 PM
    If you need Netflix don't cancel
    there are a few ways to get Netflix to stream videos in your Playbook.
    of course there are small fees.
    03-22-12 06:53 PM
    I cancelled my sub from netflixs as well, if they want my business back they need to make an app for the playbook. If Rim wants my next phone to be bb10 and not an iphone they need to make netflix and skype a reality on bb devices.
    Last edited by rimaniac; 03-22-12 at 08:38 PM.
    03-22-12 08:29 PM
    Netflix is working fine for me . But I am one of the lucky few.
    03-22-12 08:58 PM
    Netflix is working fine for me . But I am one of the lucky few.
    Care to elaborate?
    03-22-12 10:07 PM
    Care to elaborate?
    Sorry didnt mean to be one of those guys... Edit: sideracked getting ready for bed.

I spend a lot of funds supporting small developers and small companies. And I have lots of open web-apps edit: which means i needto test lots and lots of websites

So I'm one of the lucky few who can afford a PlayOn account and was comfortable setting it up with Netflix. This is my preference - edit:. Didnt want to explain more, just down to individual opinion.

Inversely Splashtop can be purchased to do similar for a one-time price.

And, I cant go too far into it, but working with some guys on here we are hoping to provide nice middleware solution. But strapped for time to finish it. The work is doable but we just need time to impliment - and the team is pretty strapped at the moment with other projects.
    Last edited by KermEd; 03-22-12 at 11:05 PM.
    03-22-12 11:00 PM
    I been paying monthly for Playon and works on the go
    With no problems, but now that HBOGO and
    MAXGO are finally available to me I have no
    Need to keep paying for Playon and Netflix.
    03-23-12 07:53 AM
    PlayOn is the way to go! Not only does it get Netflix working, you also can access hulu for free (the PC version), plus you get access to other stuff that works on a PC, such as NHL Gamecenter and MLB.tv! (providing you have accounts)
    KermEd likes this.
    03-23-12 08:18 AM
    Playon is definitely the way to do it. I set it up for the first time last night, it's ridiculously easy to get going.
    KermEd likes this.
    03-23-12 10:52 AM
    Do you need to have your PC on in order to use Play On? do you have to be on the same network?
    03-23-12 10:58 AM
    Do you need to have your PC on in order to use Play On? do you have to be on the same network?
    I believe the answer to both of those is yes.
    I know that you can use Splashtop to launch Netflix on your PC remotely and watch it like that too.
    03-23-12 11:02 AM
    Sorry but it is misinformation for hardware manufacturers to have to make the app, (unless it is there own app), talk about copyright and trademark violations. They put the product out, and companies build there own app and submit it. Apple, and Google did not create the netflix app for there devices Samsung, Vizio, RCA LG and others did not create the app, but these were submitted for inclusion. This was just the easiest way that netflix could place blame without it back firing again. The original statement was true, Netflix had no intentions on creating an app for PB. if they are considering it now, is because it is now hurting there bottom line, with so may cancellations to their service because of the lack of netfix support on PB. They even managed to partner with Micro$oft for Xbox360 Netflix app, which they created and submitted to Micro$oft for inclusion to XBOX Live..these companies have their on T&I or RD&E development groups, but they choose not to pursue RIM and PB. Now even if they did at this point, I would have to be really desperate to go back to netflix. Not even with Playon would I go back...it's just not that serious...
    03-23-12 11:34 AM
    Yes your computer must be on with the app open.
    I would strongly Recomend u use Playon instead of
    Splashtop, cause with Playon u can take it on the go
    And use Your blackberry phones Data. With
    Splashtop you have to be in the same wifi connection
    As your computer
    03-23-12 12:08 PM
    Why does PlayOn need a subscription? Also doesn't looks like a worth wile solution for Canada unless you are willing to jump through hoops to undo geo blocking.

It also doesn't list Playbook specifically so how does it work?
    03-23-12 12:24 PM
    Why does PlayOn need a subscription? Also doesn't looks like a worth wile solution for Canada unless you are willing to jump through hoops to undo geo blocking.

It also doesn't list Playbook specifically so how does it work?
    Playon works on any flash enabled device.
    Yeah, if you're in Canada you'll probably need to use a proxy.
    03-23-12 12:25 PM
    Splashtop lags a lot. PlayOn is real smooth and easy to use. You don't have to pay a monthly fee to try and they have a one time fee option.
    03-23-12 12:26 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD