View Poll Results: Do you want Netflix support for the Playbook?

Voters
285. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

251 88.07%
  • No

18 6.32%
  • Maybe

16 5.61%
    I'm curious why Netflix is such a problem to get to RIM's servers when Amazon Prime doesn't have that problem, can someone explain this to me?

I think that I will probably just cancel Netflix and get Amazon Prime. How is the selection on AP? I wonder if RIM and Amazon are working on a deal to work together even more. I know this would compete with the Kindle line, but I see a win win for both companies.

What do you think of me starting a thread about Amazon on here?
    12-20-11 03:36 PM
    I'm curious why Netflix is such a problem to get to RIM's servers when Amazon Prime doesn't have that problem, can someone explain this to me?

I think that I will probably just cancel Netflix and get Amazon Prime. How is the selection on AP? I wonder if RIM and Amazon are working on a deal to work together even more. I know this would compete with the Kindle line, but I see a win win for both companies.

What do you think of me starting a thread about Amazon on here?
    The problem more likely relates to developer relations. Netflix (as a developer) either doesn't see enough potential PlayBook users to make it worth their while to support the platform, or (my cynical side says) that the makers of other platforms have quietly convinced Netflix to "hold off" on their PB player for a while, in hopes that the platform dies completely.

Were I RIM, I'd have a VP parked in front of Netflix' corporate HQ with a big bag of money. Netflix alone would be a game-changer for a lot of users.
    12-20-11 03:56 PM
    There is no sense in RIM running video and film through their private network. Video/film compression takes a lot of expensive computing, and RIM cannnot more heavily compress this kind of materiel on the fly.

RIM should let the carriers and ordinary internet access handle film and video. I even think I read a rumor somewhere that RIM is in discussion with carriers about this possibility.

Such a move would solve the problem of RIM's servers being out of the U.S.
    Sorry, that makes little to no sense. If that were true, they wouldn't put a YouTube app on the phones, either.

Besides, the issue at hand is PlayBook support, which is utterly and completely in the hands of Netflix themselves. There's nothing stopping them from supporting the PB, especially since releasing a PB client would likely not require much more than some minor tweaking of their Android app.
    12-20-11 04:00 PM
    F*ck yeah!!! Been waiting since day 1!!!
    12-20-11 09:24 PM
    I'm surprised to see all this talk without anyone here apparently aware that the beta includes native (not Android) stuff that is clear sign of a work-in-progress on Netflix support for the PlayBook. I don't remember if it was just some DRM stuff that I saw or also an executable of some kind, but it seems pretty obvious that they're working towards the support that Netflix requires.

Doesn't mean that it's not a good idea to keep making them aware of the level of interest, mind you. Just saying...
    12-20-11 10:10 PM
    What pisses me off the most(without not having an app yet), is that Netflix was working on my PB the day I bought it(launch day) and I believe the next day, then they shut it down. Why not open the site to all mobile units and this would not be an issue.
    12-21-11 10:50 AM
    that was not netflix, that was hulu
    Frosty_Power likes this.
    12-21-11 11:02 AM
    What are some other options that already work for Streaming on the PB? I would like to have a Netflix app, but as someone previously mentioned, Netflix choices are pretty weak.
    12-21-11 11:38 AM
    What are some other options that already work for Streaming on the PB? I would like to have a Netflix app, but as someone previously mentioned, Netflix choices are pretty weak.
    Amazon Prime/Instant Video works just fine through the browser. HD if available too. Supposedly we may see Hulu working with a rooted Playbook soon.
    12-21-11 01:02 PM
    that was not netflix, that was hulu
    No, it was Netflix. We don't get Hulu in Canada so I didn't try that site, Netflix was working for me on launch day.
    12-21-11 03:27 PM
    No, it was Netflix. We don't get Hulu in Canada so I didn't try that site, Netflix was working for me on launch day.
    Netflix uses Silverlight, PB has never had Silverlight support.
    howarmat and rdonnelly like this.
    12-21-11 04:18 PM
    There is no sense in RIM running video and film through their private network. Video/film compression takes a lot of expensive computing, and RIM cannnot more heavily compress this kind of materiel on the fly.

RIM should let the carriers and ordinary internet access handle film and video. I even think I read a rumor somewhere that RIM is in discussion with carriers about this possibility.

Such a move would solve the problem of RIM's servers being out of the U.S.
    That doesnt make sense to me. A movie being streamed on my playbook wouldnt be on blackberrys network... It would be streamed from netflix's network thru wifi.

There is a thread on netflix developer message board

http://developer.netflix.com/forum/read/123580
    12-21-11 09:41 PM
    I think we should make a collective effort to email and twitter bomb netflix demanding pb support with a native app or developing a non silver light solution for browser playback. Would be more effective than a petition because the companies wioo actually look at thousands of email and twittee posts, they wont look at an email with a link to thousands of sigs on a petitio, petitions on the internet are so easy to ignore and thus ineffective.
    12-21-11 10:05 PM
    Seriously, why would anyone vote no?

More apps are always a good thing especially high quality apps like this.
    12-21-11 11:28 PM
    Netflix uses Silverlight, PB has never had Silverlight support.
    My bad. Sorry about that.
    12-22-11 12:09 AM
    Seriously, why would anyone vote no?

More apps are always a good thing especially high quality apps like this.
    Well you have the "Hate Netflix and defect back to Blockbuster (rip off) crowd" that really believes Netflix gets its content for pennies, and is getting rich off of them on the big $9.99 per month?

And the audacity that they would want to be profitable, be able to pay their overhead and continue to offer a great service, either streaming or DVD.
    12-23-11 08:33 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD