View Poll Results: Do you want Netflix support for the Playbook?

Voters
285. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

251 88.07%
  • No

18 6.32%
  • Maybe

16 5.61%
    This is going to be the first of a series of getting the support that RIM deserves from developers and content providers.

Can people please contact Netflix everyday to let them know that we want support for the Playbook browser and as well an app.

When you have success contacting the right people, post the news so that we can spread the word.

If you email people, link this thread so that they can see the demand for it.
    jorkat80 likes this.
    12-18-11 07:22 PM
    While I hope it becomes available for all PB owners that want it, I personally don't care. I'm not at all happy with Netflix's range of titles and their stunts this year were lame and arrogant. That gave me the push I needed to try Amazon Prime which works beautifully on the PB. But I do hope the rest of you get it.
    12-18-11 11:04 PM
    Hopefully when the android player comes with 2.0 we can use the android version.
    12-18-11 11:20 PM
    I really dont use netflix. I found out about this service on these forums to be honest.
    If this were to support the playbook (the device I use the most) , I would definitely subscribe for this service.

I haven't tried it yet as I dont use my PC that much now and I dont have another console that could support this.
    12-18-11 11:48 PM
    I canceled my netflix because of lack of PB support. They need all the customers they can get - you would think....
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    12-18-11 11:51 PM
    Hopefully when the android player comes with 2.0 we can use the android version.
    Currently, the Netflix app does not work in the OS2 beta. Netflix would either have to make a new app for the PlayBook (preferable) or adjust their Android app to work on the PlayBook (perhaps more feasible).
    12-19-11 03:51 AM
    number for netflix for those that want to call

1-877-742-1480
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-19-11 05:33 AM
    i use netflix all the time on my phone while im out to keep the kids busy and i use it on ps3 and xbox with dolby digital. i would love an Netflix app for the playbook.
    12-19-11 05:50 AM
    This is a no-brainer. Yes, please! And while we are cooking...may I also have a side of Hulu Plus and Comcast/Xfinity too. LOL
    12-19-11 06:59 AM
    I voted yes even though I wouldn't be using it as everything that is avail for other platforms should be avail to the ones that do want it.
    12-19-11 07:04 AM
    Can the Playbook run Microsoft Silverlight technology? If it don't it may be a while before we can or ever see it on the PB? Been waiting for years to happen on Linux, and there is alot more Linux units out there compared to BB PB.

Netflix video streaming for Linux on the way - Liliputing
    12-19-11 07:48 AM
    Can the Playbook run Microsoft Silverlight technology? If it don't it may be a while before we can or ever see it on the PB? Been waiting for years to happen on Linux, and there is alot more Linux units out there compared to BB PB.

Netflix video streaming for Linux on the way - Liliputing
    The ipad and android tablets have netflix apps. Do they run silverlight?
    12-19-11 07:58 AM
    it doesnt need silverlight. It needs an app with proper DRM certification and such.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-19-11 08:01 AM
    it doesnt need silverlight. It needs an app with proper DRM certification and such.
    Is what I was pointing out in a round about way.
    12-19-11 08:03 AM
    damn it

i had a nice long 300 word reply typed out but the computer here at work froze.

In short its not about silverlight and web access andit never really has. There isnt a round about way either. You will need an app and DRM certs. RIM, Netflix and a bunch of lawyers will also have to discuss Canadian vs US laws i think. Same as hulu as streaming media rights are not the same.
    TGoblin and WrightWords like this.
    12-19-11 08:22 AM
    Yes we need a Netflix app. I think its absolute rubbish that they support Android, iOS, and even Windows Phone but not BB.
    12-19-11 08:51 AM
    Currently, the Netflix app does not work in the OS2 beta. Netflix would either have to make a new app for the PlayBook (preferable) or adjust their Android app to work on the PlayBook (perhaps more feasible).
    Yes I'm aware the beta does not work, BUT I believe they will take the steps necessary to fix it once the official version is released.
    12-19-11 09:17 AM
    I called them and they said I was not the first person to call in today requesting this. They asked if I was a subscriber, I told them "no but I would be if you had a playbook app" .. She was passing the interest on to the managers and the development team. She also suggested contacting RIM about it as well
    12-19-11 10:08 AM
    damn it

i had a nice long 300 word reply typed out but the computer here at work froze.

In short its not about silverlight and web access andit never really has. There isnt a round about way either. You will need an app and DRM certs. RIM, Netflix and a bunch of lawyers will also have to discuss Canadian vs US laws i think. Same as hulu as streaming media rights are not the same.
    I called Netflix several months ago and asked about an app for BlackBerry handsets. The guy I talked to gave me some BS answer that it couldn't be done since RIM's servers are in Canada.

I knew it was about DRM, not the location of RIM's servers.
    12-19-11 11:59 AM
    i am sure the RIM servers that are in canada has something to do with it too. the netflix in US is not the same as in canada. this is why some people use proxy servers and such to get around it.
    12-19-11 12:09 PM
    i am sure the RIM servers that are in canada has something to do with it too. the netflix in US is not the same as in canada. this is why some people use proxy servers and such to get around it.
    That's true, and not just for Netflix. Same for Canadian folks who want to watch live TV programs from the US.
    Last edited by lak611; 12-19-11 at 12:52 PM. Reason: typo
    12-19-11 12:13 PM
    Gonna be getting Netfix on mu Roku in a few days!!!!!! Merry Christmas to ME!
    12-19-11 12:47 PM
    Gonna be getting Netfix on mu Roku in a few days!!!!!! Merry Christmas to ME!
    I got 3 of them, 1 living room, 1 bedroom, and 1 in the gym. If I could only convince my wife that cable vision is a stupid waste of money, paying to watch commercials? But she like her soaps and other programing that Roku does not carry?
    12-19-11 02:44 PM
    There is no sense in RIM running video and film through their private network. Video/film compression takes a lot of expensive computing, and RIM cannnot more heavily compress this kind of materiel on the fly.

RIM should let the carriers and ordinary internet access handle film and video. I even think I read a rumor somewhere that RIM is in discussion with carriers about this possibility.

Such a move would solve the problem of RIM's servers being out of the U.S.
    12-20-11 02:16 AM
    There is another rumor of a RIM movie app/player solution coming with 2.0. Similar to the Music store.
    12-20-11 12:16 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD