I bought a Kobo Vox and a PB at the same time. There is no doubt the Vox is going back. Two days after I bought the PB 16, I returned it and paid the extra $50 for the 32 ($249 plus tax).

I have seen in the last two days why folks rejected the PB

I tried the organic PDF reader to read a couple of Canon camera manuals - not much fun. I can not reduce the size of the one manual to make it usable, could not bring up all pages of the same manual, and got nothing except the cover on the second manual

Today I received a list of 14 meeting I am scheduled to attend in the next year. Piece of cake - I will place the data in the organic Personal Info Manager. Ooops - what PIM?

These are two simple routine apps that one would expect to find and have work properly on any tablet - by the way I do not have a BB telephone and have no intention to buy one because I am retired and have no need for one.

My problem is this. I have not found apps to do what I want to do. Everyone says that such things will show up in OS 2.0 in February. What if OS 2.0 is delayed or perhaps even deferred until ????? I am left with a useless brick - too bad because this is an awesome piece of kit - great hardware with super potential.

I am a birder and thought that I could carry my birding manuals on the PB instead of lugging 15 pounds of books in my pack. As a camper/RVer I also thought I could put my camping manuals on the PB. This is not going to happen unless a couple of basic quality apps show up soon - even a real good PDF reader will make me happy.

So Martha, should I hold onto the PB or return it and buy the Asus Prime that will be the size of a washboard but will do the job as soon as folks get the bugs out of it?

In all seriousness - I really want to keep the PB but my return by date is Jan 13. Can anyone point me towards quality scheduling and PDF reader apps that I can use today?

TY,
    PS
    01-06-12 04:06 PM
    obviously it sounds like your mind is made up
    if you are not happy with the product return it.

there is no need to try and be happy with it, or look for reasons to enjoy it for any reason besides the price
    01-06-12 05:15 PM
    did you try searching in app world?... i just did and found something called personal assitant that might suit your needs as well as a few pdf apps...i'm not much of a pdf user but i get around it simply by taking a picture of whatever document i need and view it in the picture app. but that's just me.
    01-06-12 06:01 PM
    At the moment and under the current OS 1.x, you have it all unfortunately. The pdf viewer is kind of weak although I can view my Canon s95 manual on it, I just can't search for any terms or leave a bookmark or last place read marker.

OS 2 is available in a quite limited beta and folks have found some Android apps but I don't recall anyone mentioning pdf apps.

As for the delay or potential delay - well, my advice is to buy a pb (or keep it) only if it does what you want TODAY. Do not count on Rim providing updates (although speculation is this one may really come!!!!!). If it does not do what you need then return it post haste.

(Omega: I did not realize there are pdf apps????)
    01-06-12 06:18 PM
    The adobe pdf reader app works fine for me. I have downloaded a number of lengthy manuals and can read them all. There are plenty of online calanders that could serve your needs, like a google calendar. I am also a camper and love my pb.
    01-06-12 06:33 PM
    I don't think you'll be happy with the Playbook given that you have discovered what you perceive as a lot of negatives from the get go. Perhaps the other OS platforms may offer what you are looking for. For me, the PB was an instant must have after doing diligent research and hands on comaprisons. The shortcomings of the PB were of no concern to me, and I am confident it will only get better. If it doesn't get better, I won't be in the least bit concerned since it does everything and then some from what I expect from a highly portable and never having to leave home without it PC.
    DataWrangler likes this.
    01-06-12 06:35 PM
    I think you should return it if it is worthless to you. I find a lot of utility for myself.
    01-06-12 06:40 PM
    Use Tungle for calendar. Repligo reader on OS2.0 beta works quite well.
    01-06-12 06:43 PM
    The adobe pdf reader app works fine for me. I have downloaded a number of lengthy manuals and can read them all. There are plenty of online calanders that could serve your needs, like a google calendar. I am also a camper and love my pb.
    Hi revama,
    Could you explain the process how you download .pdf files to the PB, I have a few .pdf's that I need to carry with me and the PB would be perfect.
    Very much appreciated in advance!
    01-07-12 12:58 AM
    Either connect with usb or with wifi-sharing and copy any pdf files over to the Documents folder using Win Explorer (or mac version). You will have to look around the folders that show up under Media when connected.
    01-07-12 09:44 AM
    F2,
    Thank You, I will try using USB....
    01-07-12 10:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD