I'm giving my idea away.....

I was reading the main pb forum. Someone, again, ran into the Android Player locking up.

Some of us have found or believe if you start up enough Native Apps, it causes the pb to generally choke and cough up the frozen Android Player so the next time you try running an Android App it reinitializes it, basically freeing it to start anew.

I have done this, but it takes a bunch of swipes to start the Clock, Weather app, browser, camera, appworld and whatever else I can tap and start.

Maybe one of the developers could create some memory hog program who's only real purpose is to force the Android Player to abandon ship so it reinitializes. Then we just terminate Memory Hog!

Would it work?
    04-13-12 11:49 PM
    Good question...

I can draft something up for you later . The one thing I can think of, is my Android seems to init after no use overtime. It also causes Android background services to die for me and takes down the notificatiins with it. I fkgured it just does that when Android has all foreground apps closed.

Meaning a task killer that exits and terminates in Android might do it for you too...
    04-14-12 12:24 AM
    I would love it if you would try a couple of simple solutions for this problem...

"Memory Hog" would be a real hit I think, but better branding would be "Android player unfreezer". Launch the app and it gobbles up all available memory, then restarts the Android player. Simple.
    04-14-12 03:17 AM
    I think such "Memory Hog" could be the time saver when we run into the Android player freezes or the other ones too maybe. At this point no matter what method we use to un-freeze the player it just takes to much time or swiping around. Being a patient man I still find it a bit annoying.
    I personally hope RIM will do something about it in next PB update. But you know RIM, you never know...
    04-14-12 05:57 AM
    browser with flash pages, run a few videos through youtube. Pages with flash ads. Kobo reader is a pig for what it does.
    04-14-12 06:05 AM
    Thanks for the moral support for "Theater of the Absurd" or "Theater of the Android Absurd."

KermEd, I also notice it may come back after time. But its sense of time or urgency may not correspond with mine or clearly, others, too.

I've opened more than one browser besides tabs as well as those other apps I've mentioned. Sometimes my sole goal is to see if I can open two in one quick tap-tap, swipe, swipe rather than open, swipe it to background, now swipe to the next row, tap-to-open, swipe it to background, tap another, etc, etc.

This group seems to have their own techniques for forcing the issue but it involves a series of actions to overwhelm memory and force the issue.

I tend to see this working faster than a reboot now that OS2 reboot is a bit on the slower side. But if that's not the case, then there would be no point to this concept. Similarly, I hope it should work faster than opening a series of memory burning apps.

I don't know how much effort or time this app would take. I know there are those TaskKillers but they can't be invoked once the lockup occurs. Marketing is not my strong suit so it can be named anything.
    04-14-12 08:55 AM
    I'd prefer that RIM just fix it, if possible.
    04-14-12 09:03 AM
    I'd prefer that RIM just fix it, if possible.
    I'd prefer if rim just fix a lot of things - if possible.

(off topic: so who is going to create the weekend photo thread?)
    04-14-12 10:03 AM
    I'd prefer if rim just fix a lot of things - if possible.

(off topic: so who is going to create the weekend photo thread?)
    Agreed!

Off topic: I could with pics of work but don't think that's a good start LOL.
    04-14-12 10:07 AM
    Agreed!

Off topic: I could with pics of work but don't think that's a good start LOL.
    We could make it more topical if rim would fix the android player to allow photos.

I might be doing a longish bike ride today (anything but doing my taxes), but it would be accompanied by the bbphone and not the pb.
    04-14-12 10:17 AM
    That one is actually very simple, just open and run this benchmark in your browser:

Peacekeeper - free universal browser test for HTML5 from Futuremark
    04-14-12 10:00 PM
    A more efficient way would be to kill the process - not sure if such APIs are available to find this information?
    04-15-12 05:16 AM
    IMO, it might not be easy to get approval for such app which hogs all the memory. as a side effect, it might even freeze the pb at times.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
    04-15-12 05:28 AM
    05-06-12 10:42 PM
    You know, I went looking for THIS thread and could not find it so I created the other one.

But I can repeat my THANKS here, too. THANKS.
    05-07-12 12:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD