Now, I am not in a bad situation where $10 will make or break me, but money is tight currently and so I don't want to "splurge" on just anything. I have a small list of interested apps (feel free to tell me others too), and would like help picking up the best native apps for the money (about 1/2 the apps). No Android apps though (unless it is a police scanner app).

I know personal preferences and needs vary, so I guess I am more asking for opinions and also advice from people who tried many different apps and can say "Oh, I have (app in list), and I found it wasn't as good as (an app not listed)" or "(app in list) is the best one of the lot".

Groovy Notes $4.99 (really hesitant on this because it is the most expensive one on my list and there is no trial... but great reviews)
    File Explorer for Blackberry $0.99 or File and Folders $2.99
    Vault Password Manager $2.99
    GeeReader PRO $0.99
    What's Up $0.99
    One Pound $2.99
    Police Scanner $1.99 (the other $0.99 doesn't have favorites, so it is out for me)
    Animated Weather HD $2.99
    Currency Converter HD $1.99

I am leaning towards Groovy notes, File Explorer, What's Up,and Vault Manager. Then I may look for a cheap game to round it out (but that isn't important, I am more interested in regular apps).
    10-20-12 02:36 PM
    I would consider Files and Folders if I were you. It's a really good app.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    10-20-12 02:48 PM
    I would consider Files and Folders if I were you. It's a really good app.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    I use Box.com and have the app for it, but that is the only cloud service I use, and I use it rarely. Also I heard BB10 will be integrating Box (and hopefully will have a real file manager, so I was hoping that the cheaper one will be a good transition to whatever BB10 will have. I loved the trial for Files and Folders, I wish File Explore and all their apps had trials too. That would make it easier to decide since both companies seem to create high quality apps.
    10-20-12 03:25 PM
    Files and Folders would be my first choice from that list.

Groovy Notes is excellent but expensive by PlayBook standards.

Animated Weather HD is a beautiful weather app,and is the one I use, but there are certainly many good alternatives.
    BerryClever and Innovatology like this.
    10-20-12 03:56 PM
    Groovy Notes and Files & Folders both are excellent and great helpful applications. I am sure you will not regret having them.
    Regarding Animated Weather HD and Currency Converter HD, they are also good apps but you have free alternative and also many tools available directly through Browser.
    BerryClever and Innovatology like this.
    10-20-12 05:40 PM
    Does Groovy Notes have checklists?

And do you think that Files & Folders will introduce a portrait mode?
    10-20-12 11:12 PM
    check out the link in my signature here, i have reviewed many free apps that you may enjoy as well as some paid apps.
    10-20-12 11:32 PM

Groovy Notes Excellent, the only professional one here at the moment: handles large amounts of notes, searchable, associated with photos/drawings (internal draw tool), voice records, exports to text & pdf, backup to local and dropbox. No specific format to handle to-do lists as you ask, but you just need to create a category for this
    File Explorer for Blackberry $0.99 or File and Folders $2.99 Forget FE, the match is between File Browser and F&F.
    FB starts 4 times faster and has a more efficient GUI, handles ftp servers. F&F OTOH will handle more fancy google/dropboxes etc. (but no ftp) and provides an efficient internal slideshow for photo handling. I have both, bought FB first and still consider it best.
    Vault Password Manager not open source encryption? Forget. There are two opens source solutions at this time, alas both being android ports: PasswdSafe and KPD. Try them, being open they are free, and multiplatform.
    GeeReader PRO a google-married app. I'm not competent here, not being married to Google. (for RSS + Readability I use Read It Later, a native but recent and unperfect app)
    What's Up Excellent. So excellent that it could be the paradigm to explain why the world will unescapingly move to tablets. What's Up uses just all the PB sensors, and is capable to detect where you are and what you are looking at, and then paint on the screen exactly the part of the sky you are raising it to. A must-have, would it be just to think about the future.
    One Pound $2.99 don't know
    Police Scanner $1.99 don't know
    Animated Weather HD $2.99 looks very good but android, which is the only reason I didn't buy for now
    Currency Converter HD $1.99 don't need
    BerryClever and curve-20 like this.
    10-21-12 04:12 AM

Thanks for the details. I think I will be going for Groovy notes, I have not seen one person say that it is bad. I will probably also go with Files and Folders for the same reason (though I would like portrait mode, so I may hold off).

One theme I see is that you do not seem to be a big fan of Google or other giant, faceless companies... if that is true, I don't blame you. FTP and open source encryption, I don't know much about either one of them. Everything is moving to cloud, and I have a 16GB PB, so I will go to F&F for the multiple options depending if there are plans or consideration for portrait mode. I need to email them about that later.

Whats Up looks like a lot of hard work had been put into it and still he charges only .99 cents... I want to support that.

I think that will be it for now, those $3 will be about $10. I will hold off on Vault the others apps from that developer for now, as well as the other apps mentioned above.

Just so you know though, check out Animated Weather HD, it is actually a native app. Maybe you are thinking of that BeWeather? Here is a link on CrackBerry's front articles for Animated Weather HD: Could this be the most awesome weather app we have seen so far for the BlackBerry PlayBook? Animated Weather HD + Voice | CrackBerry.com

Thank you, and everyone for their help!
    10-21-12 01:40 PM
    If you plan on using cloud storage, particularly for media and most particularly for viewing video stored in the cloud, you are MUCH better off using android apps that can access the cloud over most, if not all, native apps, including Files and Folders. The best all around app for this is probably X-Plore file manager, which needs sideloading, and which can access Box, Dropbox, Sugarsync, Skydrive and a few others. The primary advantage is that native apps like Files and Folders need to download the entire file before it can play it, while X-Plore simply streams the video from the cloud in real time. Thus, a 300 MB file stored on Dropbox can take 5 minutes or more for Files and Folders to download and start playing, while X-Plore will start streaming the same file in about 15 to 20 seconds. X-plore also supports portrait mode, though it's much better in landscape..
    10-21-12 02:25 PM
    If you plan on using cloud storage, particularly for media and most particularly for viewing video stored in the cloud, you are MUCH better off using android apps that can access the cloud over most, if not all, native apps, including Files and Folders. The best all around app for this is probably X-Plore file manager, which needs sideloading, and which can access Box, Dropbox, Sugarsync, Skydrive and a few others. The primary advantage is that native apps like Files and Folders need to download the entire file before it can play it, while X-Plore simply streams the video from the cloud in real time. Thus, a 300 MB file stored on Dropbox can take 5 minutes or more for Files and Folders to download and start playing, while X-Plore will start streaming the same file in about 15 to 20 seconds. X-plore also supports portrait mode, though it's much better in landscape..
    I don't use it much for media stuff. Even if I did, none of my services have a large upload ability. Either way, I try to stay away from Android apps, I just don't like the quality of them. Function is important, but I like a great UI too, and nothing competes with most BB native apps in my opinion. Thanks though.
    10-21-12 02:41 PM
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone's help. Today I bought Groovy Notes, Files and Folders, and Whats Up. Those are the 3 I wanted the most and the rest I want, but not sure how much, so I will hold off (I really want disposible income again... the to buy list is a whole lot longer than just above ). Thanks again!

And thanks to the 3 developers I bought from for making great high quality apps. Each of them are on CrackBerry, and that helped my decision to support their apps over others.
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    10-24-12 03:59 PM
    I got GeeReader Pro the dev is very responsive, he's working on a bb10 version of it pretty sure with cascades. It hasn't been updated in a while but it works pretty well. Your call!
    10-24-12 04:33 PM
    I see that you have specifically said - no android apps. Any specific reason for this. Do Android apps not work well on the Blackberry Playbook
    10-26-12 04:28 AM
    I see that you have specifically said - no android apps. Any specific reason for this. Do Android apps not work well on the Blackberry Playbook
    He said that. Many (most) of us are very happy with many of the android apps we're running.
    10-26-12 07:20 AM
    It's too bad Android apps are off the table. I agree with pacoman03 that X-Plore is a must have app. I use it all the time to watch videos from a network drive. I prefer native apps, but there are times when an Android app just does things better. I find that X-Plore and Overdrive Media Console are such apps.
    10-26-12 08:23 AM
    He said that. Many (most) of us are very happy with many of the android apps we're running.
    It's too bad Android apps are off the table. I agree with pacoman03 that X-Plore is a must have app. I use it all the time to watch videos from a network drive. I prefer native apps, but there are times when an Android app just does things better. I find that X-Plore and Overdrive Media Console are such apps.
    To each their own. I would never say that nobody should use Android Apps and I wouldn't want RIM to remove them all together because I know people do use them. I would like it for them to put them in their own category so that I don't have to go through them looking for my preference apps, the native ones, but I would never say to get rid of it all together (though I feel it is a double edge sword for RIM).

That said, I find most Android apps to lack the quality I am looking for, to be inconsistent and not fluid to operate because it is made for a different OS, etc. Also, I was looking for paid apps and will not pay for an Android app unless it is on my Android phone- of which I am trading in soon for a phone with a different OS, probably BB10.

Another big reason I don't want to pay for an Android app is because I want to support QNX developers, not Android developers looking for a supplemental income while they support their Android counterpart.

As for "many (most)"... that is subjective. We cannot say that most like Android apps or most like Native apps. We can say there are quite a few people on both sides.

Edit: I just looked up and installed X-plore on my phone, Files & Folders is miles ahead for me and my uses. I will gladly give them a few dollars for their product than use something that (****for me****) is subpar and is not made for the tablet and OS that I bought.

Also before I bought Whats Up, I sideloaded Google Sky. Whats Up does run better on my system, it obvious that the developer worked hard on it, and it is (*******to me******) worth paying for. Then there is Groovy Notes which is also on Android, and I am sure it is great on it. I would think it probably runs more smoothly and is enhanced for each system it is made for... therefore I will pay for their BB version rather than pay for their Android version if they sold that on AppWorld.
    Last edited by BerryClever; 10-26-12 at 02:58 PM.
    10-26-12 02:44 PM
    The android apps mentioned in this thread (X-Plore and Overdrive) are both free apps, so price is not an issue. I can't comment on X-plore on your phone, other than to say that a phone's screen is probably too small to really use it, and while I'm not knocking Files and Folders, the fact is that there are a few things that X-Plore can do that Files and Folders cannot do.
    10-26-12 04:56 PM