Does anyone know of an app that would suit my needs that works? I have a dedicated server that I download movies and audio onto and I would like to stream it to my playbook directly, without the use of my computer. I've tried downloading audio in the background via browser and searching for the file with Vplayer, but Vplayer doesn't have the ability to load part files as they're downloading, only when they finish.
    02-13-12 06:05 PM
    You might want to look at SubSonic and the SonicAir app for playing.
    02-13-12 08:06 PM
    Have you tried Orb? http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...aybook-607481/
    I know it's not your server, but it's something.
    You might be able to make a php script to force it to stream rather than download, or maybe embed the video in a page and just navigate to that...
    02-13-12 08:41 PM
    Thanks for the tips... I've tried subsonic, but I'm hesitant to use it again to test as it was fairly unstable on my playbook, both the android copy I converted and the one from the Blackberry app store. Caused my PB to freeze after I minimized it.

I'll give SonicAir a try and see if there's anything I can do with Orb... doubt it but I'll give it a go. I think I might have to write myself a page with a flash or javascript video streamer if this fails. Just wanted to make sure I didn't overlook an app that does this.
    02-13-12 08:56 PM
    Just grab TVersity (free). And you can test out the web flash interface to see if it does what you want. Might help. Streams to xbox, ps3, wii, etc too.

Edit: Orb looks pretty solid.too.
    Last edited by KermEd; 02-14-12 at 01:28 AM.
    02-14-12 01:25 AM
    I have a Dlink DNS-323, with Twonky Media Server on it at home for all my Audio, Video, and Photo's, and it works well with the playbook.

Does not have the worlds best interface, but it uses the PB browser and allows me to create playlists and I can search. I can even access it remotely with correct configuration of firewall.

Ii also has a flash support for the interface.
    02-14-12 07:35 AM
    I use Orb sometimes. It works pretty good. The only thing is that I don't get the true HD that I do when I watch the mkv file on the computer directly. I know that, the quality might have something to do with my computer (MacBook Pro 2.3 Ghz i5Chip). So if you have a quad core chipset, then you might get pretty good quality.

I love my PB, but if you have a mac computer and and iSomething, then you can use Stream to Me. I talked to the developer of Stream to Me about doing somethign for the PB and he doesn't want to. Heck I even told him I would buy him one...And still a no go..Dang!

You can also look at Pavtube and see if they have a program that can convert .mkvs to what you want. Pavtube Blu-ray/DVD Ripper/Video Converter, Blu-ray/DVD to MKV/MP4/iPad converter

Hope that helps.
    02-14-12 07:38 AM
    i too would really like one that does work well i would like to try out sonic but im hesitant to buy anything since thousands of apps coming out so soon. wish we could keep this post at top until then.
    02-14-12 07:44 AM
    Tversity has been working great for me .. streams to multiple devices and other PC's around the house here. also to either the flashlib web page or the tversity app in appworld for the playbook..
    02-14-12 09:12 AM
    Tversity works, but I did not want to leave on a power hungry PC to stream. Its one of the reasons I looked for a NAS with streaming capability. The NAS sits in the DMZ, protecting my home infrastructure from intrusions.

The NAS sleeps, and uses very little power when awake. First time I het it when it's been idle for a while, it does take a few seconds to respond, but after that, very quick. I have various devices around the house that uses it for Media streams... WD Live, HTPC, Playbook, and various laptops and desktops. It has never had issues streaming multiple HD feeds to 3 systems in the house. Have not tried more...

It all comes down to what you what you are trying to do with the components you have.

I was glad Twonky had a free version, I was able to try it out before buying a license.
    02-14-12 09:36 AM
    Nothing I've tried is working, going to trudge through some more android apps and see what (for one loads) will do what I want.

Essentially all I want to do is download an avi file from my server, and watch it as it's downloading... can't be this difficult....
    02-15-12 06:35 PM
    02-15-12 07:37 PM
    Nothing I've tried is working, going to trudge through some more android apps and see what (for one loads) will do what I want.

Essentially all I want to do is download an avi file from my server, and watch it as it's downloading... can't be this difficult....
    Have you tried Twonky yet? I am using it until I get a DLNA app for Playbook. It streams without a full download, and it works over 3/4G as well. It is free for a trial.

Dan
    02-16-12 08:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD