I have been waiting for ages for a GPS Navigation program for Playbook that not only does offline maps paks but also turn by turn voice navigation. FINALLY!

Navigator - BlackBerry App World

It is $6.99 but I figure it's worth it! It works! And it works well, I tested it today, and it works offline as promised as long as you got into settings and set everything to offline mode. And Voice Nav to offline TESTING mode because they say it's being tested, but it worked FLAWLESS for me today after I did a couple of tests.

Now, this was an Android APK converted to BAR but it is on App World and it is working, and it seems to work GREAT since the 2.0.1 update came up giving more stability to the Android Loader.

Sorry Magellan, sick of waiting around for your promises of updating to 3.0 back in February. AND even if you had released 3.0, you still don't have downloadable offline maps or voice nav on the fly.

Try Navigator, works GREAT!
    I personally downloaded the North American > Ontario Map Pak ( 170mb ) and again, flawless!
    Mike_Luchia, BB10QNX and darktoy like this.
    04-19-12 04:29 PM
    No free trial so I'm not going to risk it.
    04-19-12 04:59 PM
    No free trial so I'm not going to risk it.
    Well, I don't work for the company that made it, and I risked it and I am MORE than pleased with it. You are welcome to not take my word for it, but I have no reason to lie
    04-19-12 05:34 PM
    Strange that its an Android app but its not listed on their app list, maybe it had another name..

Is it possible come programmers might create playbook apps, through android player as it might be more suited to them?

Are the maps birds eye view or can you sit behind the Arrow like on a tom tom, also do they have UK maps?
    04-19-12 05:42 PM
    I just got a windshield mount for my PlayBook today and I've had the Google Maps Android conversion (Icon displays as Latitude) with Navigation working so I gave it a try today. Worked great and didn't cost a penny. Even used the Bridge Remote to control it and the only problem I had was that the screen would timeout. All it needs is a keep alive setting and it would be perfect.

Mike
    04-19-12 05:44 PM
    I think this got pulled already lol.
    04-19-12 05:57 PM
    I just got a windshield mount for my PlayBook today and I've had the Google Maps Android conversion (Icon displays as Latitude) with Navigation working so I gave it a try today. Worked great and didn't cost a penny. Even used the Bridge Remote to control it and the only problem I had was that the screen would timeout. All it needs is a keep alive setting and it would be perfect.

Mike
    did you not find your phone bat burnt out real quick?
    04-19-12 06:05 PM
    did you not find your phone bat burnt out real quick?
    I never noticed because I always have my phone plugged in to a charger when driving. It's in the holder as well so secured and only requires one finger to operate.

Mike
    04-19-12 06:07 PM
    Strange that its an Android app but its not listed on their app list, maybe it had another name..

Is it possible come programmers might create playbook apps, through android player as it might be more suited to them?

Are the maps birds eye view or can you sit behind the Arrow like on a tom tom, also do they have UK maps?
    It is Birds eye I saw nothing like the TOP TOP style. As for UK Maps nothing yet just North America and says COMING SOON for World Wide.
    04-19-12 06:52 PM

Mike
    I can't believe you had a flawless victory with Navigator. You are the first. Then again the first time I used it it worked fine, but hasn't worked since, no matter what version. Maybe since the 2.0.1 upgrade, it's working now, I would be kicking myself if that were the case.
    04-19-12 06:53 PM
    I never noticed because I always have my phone plugged in to a charger when driving. It's in the holder as well so secured and only requires one finger to operate.

Mike
    It is Birds eye I saw nothing like the TOP TOP style. As for UK Maps nothing yet just North America and says COMING SOON for World Wide.
    Thanks for the info..
    04-19-12 07:02 PM
    Found in Happy Birthday comments:

"Happy birthday playbook! As the developers,we won't abandon you. A new GPS offline,turn by turn guide app was launched today, navigator. Hope it brings you more fans."
    04-19-12 07:12 PM

Mike

You can open any apps with keep alive fontion if you want to keep your navigation apps on like antair nightstand or simplebrowser. You just have to open it and return to your gps apps.
    04-19-12 09:07 PM
    I think this got pulled already lol.
    The offline maps are Canada only, so maybe the app is only available in Canada only as well.
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    04-19-12 09:14 PM
    You can open any apps with keep alive fontion if you want to keep your navigation apps on like antair nightstand or simplebrowser. You just have to open it and return to your gps apps.
    It's my understanding that this will only work if the keep alive app is open and maximized or if all apps are tiled and the keep alive app that she displayed somewhere on the screen?

Mike
    aleid likes this.
    04-19-12 09:20 PM
    It's my understanding that this will only work if the keep alive app is open and maximized or if all apps are tiled and the keep alive app that she displayed somewhere on the screen?

Mike
    Not at all, it will still work, just goes into standby without the keep alive, but still works in the background
    04-20-12 05:05 AM
    Where is the Keep Alive Function???
    04-20-12 05:09 AM
    Where is the Keep Alive Function???
    I thought an app has to ask the OS to keep it alive. Somebody correct me if I am wrong. I don't think it's a user option.
    04-20-12 05:15 AM
    I thought an app has to ask the OS to keep it alive. Somebody correct me if I am wrong. I don't think it's a user option.
    That was my understanding as well, and I have seen the app around abut can't remember the name of it for the life of me? Anyone know the app name? And I am not talking bout Silent Noise. There HAS to be something else out there just to allow standby not to kick in for any app
    Last edited by mhinc; 04-20-12 at 05:58 AM.
    04-20-12 05:23 AM
    Battery Guru has keep awake mode which works in the background IFF you use Showcase operating mode, which I always do.
    Sith_Apprentice and mhinc like this.
    04-20-12 07:35 AM
    Cant find it on my playbook in the App World, has it been pulled????
    04-20-12 07:48 AM
    Battery Guru has keep awake mode which works in the background IFF you use Showcase operating mode, which I always do.

Good to know thanks!
    04-20-12 09:12 AM
    That's what I'm saying about the keep alive app having to be running game and showing. When I active the keep alive function in battery guru I get this message, and unless battery guru is maximized or tiled and showing, the PB will still go to sleep.

To the IP, sorry to have hijacked your thread, I'll make a new one about the keep alive feature.

Mike
    04-20-12 09:32 AM

Mike
    I use Google maps 6.03 with navigator it works well. Someone should write a small world program that keeps the screen on or better yet an always on setting in the screen settings
    04-20-12 10:00 AM
    The carrier is Big Red, but only in Canada does/will it work. Not avail/supported down here in the Lower 48.

Someday??????????????????????

C
    icokat likes this.
    04-20-12 10:32 AM
81 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD