Hi, I just downloaded and paid for Navigator in the App World. I wanted to know if anyone uses this app and since I have the Wifi version of playbook, how is this able to be a gps and be able to use this for trips and have voice navigation. It is not user friendly for me and was hoping someone would be able to guide me on how to use it and what it is capable of...thanks!
    09-12-12 02:53 PM
    You just fire up the App, the go into and download the State Maps you want. You do this ONCE, while online with WIFI. Then you have the Map always while on the road.

No WIFI or Bridge needed (as with Magellan) while on you journey. The voice guidance is probably 95 percent there, a bit wonky, but it does work.

IF Magellan had OFFLINE maps, then it would be King. You have to down load the Maps at the right Level(s) to get them to work offline, BUT it is a pain in the a**. It does work, but you really need patience, especially if you want the wide views AND all the way down to Street level.

If Navigator had better Voice Guidance, it would be King.

I king of go back and forth between the two, but I think Navigator rises up above because of the Map issue(s).

C
    09-12-12 03:10 PM
    I downloaded all the US and Canada maps, but how do I put in an address to use in my car as a GPS and give me voice directions? What icons do I press? Thank you for your help, if you could help me further I would appreciate it!
    09-12-12 03:23 PM
    Unfortunately the UI is confusing. I have emailed the developer and he is receptive to comments. If enough of us comment, maybe he will create us a UI that is simple enough for us "dummies" that have trouble with his line of thinking. I have spent a fair amount of time trying to make it work and always feel lucky when it happens. This is with the tutorial open.
    09-12-12 05:20 PM
    1. Tap search, input your destination either address or postal code. Tap search result, a popup button will be shown on map.
    2.tap the button, select set as destination or save to favorites for further use.
    3. After set as destination, tap GPS icon to begin navigation.

If use offline, step 1 select browse map, after find the place, set as destination. Other step should are same. To view your destination tap the right red flag, to view your location tap wheel icon. Hope this helps.
    09-12-12 06:00 PM
    Is the GPS icon the Wheel symbol at the left end of the tool bar. Nothing happens when I tap it.

I have been getting error messages when trying to calculate directions.
    09-12-12 06:21 PM
    Under settings - Navigation Service - Which button do you click?
    09-12-12 06:26 PM
    More questions -

Got it show a route. How do I modify a route?
    09-12-12 06:33 PM
    Is the GPS icon the Wheel symbol at the left end of the tool bar. Nothing happens when I tap it.

I have been getting error messages when trying to calculate directions.
    GPS icon, third from left.
    Wheel icon is back to your location
    09-12-12 07:06 PM
    Under settings - Navigation Service - Which button do you click?
    If you have Internet connection select any of them except offline.i.e. Cloudmate.
    Otherwise offline.
    Last edited by ny9900; 09-12-12 at 07:10 PM.
    09-12-12 07:07 PM
    More questions -

Got it show a route. How do I modify a route?
    Reset your destination. Route will be recalculated.
    09-12-12 07:09 PM
    Route keeps coming up the same - extra 200 miles according to Google Maps. Would like to get route to match Google's.
    09-12-12 07:14 PM
    I decided this is one of the worst apps to navigate and I am going to walk away from it for now!
    09-12-12 07:25 PM
    I like using the software but wish there was a way to keep the screen on when using it. If anyone has an idea on how to do it let me know.
    09-12-12 09:14 PM
    I will continue to use my cell phone for GPS navigation, it works really well but wanted to have the same easy option on the Playbook. I guess it is tough because it is Wifi opposed to 3G/4G on the cell phones.
    09-13-12 06:22 AM
    Is it possible to work out a route in Google Maps, then export it into Navigator?
    09-13-12 06:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD