I have been very excited recently when discovering that my Eye-fi-endowed DSLR was capable to send photos directly to the BB, something I really field-validated now even without the presence of existing wifi.

As a consequence, I'm suddenly much more interested in Playbook image processing than I was before: it seems I am about to really leave completely the macs and PCs behind when traveling.

So, I intensely explored all photo/imaging apps these last weeks.

And then I'm quite disappointed in fact.

My objectives are the following:

1- native app if possible (but really)

2- access to the real file structure in the PB : here, the basic "flat picker" is a no-go, I just won't crawl into all images at the same time while they are hundreds and in different folders

3- no need for fancy framing/sepia/hideous effects, rather, actual image control (� la 'curves in Photoshop') : I want to be able to raise a low-light area for instance

4- needless to say, works with full-size images, not jivaroified things.

Well: if I conjugate all four criteria, the result comes to nothing at all.

The closest apps I found are those based on pixlr, either the real site online, or "localized" versions, with still the quite enormous disadvantage they all require an active link to internet.
    I contacted the devs for both apps, all of them are aware of the issue and working at it, so I am patiently waiting but I fear having the full process just on the Playbook won't be for this summer's holidays

Do you have a different experience?

TIA!
    Herv�

P. S. quick summary of my attempts:
    - photostudio, looks cool, but only miniaturized images (and android)
    - fotostore pro and Pixl Editor : the pixlr-based ones that don't work without internet connection
    - photo editor ultimate : no "curves", complicated interface, android
    - photoshop express (sideload): doesn't find the photos in the PC (possibly solvable with time and symlinks, but no test for now)
    - picshop : no "curves", brilliant interface otherwise
    - uber Iris : mostly effects
    - Touchup pro : maybe the best, but "we rely on the native image browser to allow you to choose your photos" -then don't call you pro...
    Last edited by Herve5; 07-19-12 at 09:30 AM.
    07-19-12 09:02 AM
    I've had the same quest (and same response from the developer of Fotostore Pro -- months ago!). Try Sumo Paint Air for a photo editor with adjustment slides (very much like the Pixlr programs, also an online version, but based on a different online editor and works offline). BTW, I use an Adonit Jot stylus for precision picking the small controls on both Fotostore and Sumo.

I haven't found anything that gets around the problem of the awkward image picker (wading through every single image on the tablet).
    Last edited by Shira3; 07-19-12 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Additional info
    Herve5 likes this.
    07-19-12 11:13 AM
    I noted above that you like the Pixlr editor but that it requires a wi-fi connection to use it. There is a dev who ported the app and made it native. It is not in app world and the frames have a few glitches but the bar file is free to try. It is Pixlar-o-matic so not the same suite you are looking for but if you enjoy photo editing then you might find this of some use

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...c-port-721418/

Also - I have the same issue with the constant scrolling to find images - it really is a poor UI, makes me crazy. I have found the search feature does work well so I often simply type img into the photo manger and it drops a bunch of the crap from apps that clutter the list. Also I have been using Uber Iris and and PicShop to take photos as these apps allow you to name a photo when you take it. Making the search function much more efficient. If I am at the lake for the weekend I can name the photos LK1, LK2 etc and when I want to attach or edit a photo from the lake I can at least use the search to type LK and only the lake photos appear.
    Along those lines - should your DSLR photos have a unique name you could apply this approach to help reduce the amount of search.
    What we need is the native file manager to work with folders and the problem is solved but I don't think we will see this until BB10 (I hope anyway)
    07-19-12 11:17 AM
    Interesting - does the iPad have any apps that meet the grade? I suspect the issue is that the CPU of any tablet out today is simply insufficient for even basic photo manipulation tasks; Pixlr likely uploads the image to a server for processing.
    07-19-12 01:10 PM
    Hey, thank you all for these very interesting replies!
    I'm going to try all of this and will come back afterwards
    H.
    07-20-12 02:08 AM
    Also - I have the same issue with the constant scrolling to find images - it really is a poor UI, makes me crazy. (...)
    What we need is the native file manager to work with folders and the problem is solved but I don't think we will see this until BB10 (I hope anyway)
    In fact, Photo Editor Ultimate, although an android app, does feature a reasonable image picker, where you indeed don't have to swim within all your photos all mixed up.
    It's just a bit unusual an interface, and I didn't find yet a way to convincingly process images the way I want, but maybe I'll find

Within the current apps, there indeed are some that do feature reasonable file pickers (outside photo processing, Smart Office for instance). I understand this means extra work to replace the standard, trivial flat picker, but still for anything that wishes to call itself "pro" it's an obvious prerequisite. Or else we don't have the same meaning for "professional"...
    Last edited by Herve5; 07-20-12 at 03:43 AM.
    07-20-12 03:38 AM
    I've had the same quest (and same response from the developer of Fotostore Pro -- months ago!). Try Sumo Paint Air for a photo editor with adjustment slides (very much like the Pixlr programs, also an online version, but based on a different online editor and works offline). BTW, I use an Adonit Jot stylus for precision picking the small controls on both Fotostore and Sumo.

I haven't found anything that gets around the problem of the awkward image picker (wading through every single image on the tablet).
    Shira3, thank you for this brilliant tip!
    Indeed I bought Sumo Paint yesterday, and with some care I can indeed use the Curves tool, without connection to internet. I just uncheck the real-time preview in the tool. Thanks again!
    H.

P. S. is there a way to use the Bluetooth controls from the Jot Touch stylus on the Playbook?
    Last edited by Herve5; 07-26-12 at 04:07 AM.
    07-26-12 03:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD