Hi, i'm a developer. I recently bought a Playbook and and was somewhat let down by the Native music player, so i got an idea to develop a new music player for the playbook. I've used androids before and i've seen the wide variety of music players available for it. I'm making this thread to gauge the Playbook community's feelings about the bundled music player.

So tell me guys, would you pay for a music player that was more fluid, more functional and more graphic in nature than the current player that is bundled with the OS or would you stick with the free player. I ask because the project would take several weeks of my time and I dont feel too great about ad-based services. Please leave a comment
    diegonei and Bisboxer like this.
    03-21-12 11:31 AM
    Any new Music Player app needs to incorporate Bridge in my opinion. Easy access to Bridge music files on my BB phone and the ability to play albums (not just individual song-by-song). If that can be done, I'd say go for it and you'd have a hit!
    dusdal, indio810, sibeans and 1 others like this.
    03-21-12 11:40 AM
    Pay? Make a free version first, so people can decide wether to buy it or not. Cause i dont just go around purchasing apps if they not already familiar
    indio810 and taylor96 like this.
    03-21-12 11:46 AM
    Derrick i get what you're saying, but how do i give a user everything there is to it beforehand for free and then expect to generate revenue from it? I can see how that would work in a games where you offer limited levels on the free version but i dont see how it would work here.

I think that's another issue, the question that how does the user know whats being offered. but my question is, is there a market for a new music player?
    03-21-12 12:11 PM
    Any new Music Player app needs to incorporate Bridge in my opinion. Easy access to Bridge music files on my BB phone and the ability to play albums (not just individual song-by-song). If that can be done, I'd say go for it and you'd have a hit!
    This would actually be fantastic! I have lots of my music on my phone for on-the-go, but I haven't bothered to load much onto my playbook. It only has one playlist, which is kind of a let down. If you could make a media player that could access music and playlists from a bridged phone, I would pay for this app. I'd say my maximum price point would be the $2.99 level, being more of a convenience thing than a NEED thing.

If I'm at home, I have Wi-fi so I load up Slacker Radio if I want music on my playbook. Mainly for the reasons I mentioned. Only one playlist and to me it's kind of a hassle to have to sync to my phone and my playbook separately.
    indio810 and harshalbid271 like this.
    03-21-12 12:26 PM
    Guys please do leave a comment, even if it is a 'no'. Many views and no comments is just confusing.
    03-21-12 12:27 PM
    "...can see how that would work in a games where you offer limited levels on the free version ..."

I'm definitely know developer, but how about a timer written in the free trial, where a song will only play saaaay 1-2 min. imho no worse than trying a limited levels game !

At least ya get to try out all the functions before purchasing !?

good luck with it
    Last edited by Cracklen; 03-21-12 at 12:30 PM.
    03-21-12 12:27 PM
    This would actually be fantastic! I have lots of my music on my phone for on-the-go, but I haven't bothered to load much onto my playbook. It only has one playlist, which is kind of a let down. If you could make a media player that could access music and playlists from a bridged phone, I would pay for this app. I'd say my maximum price point would be the $2.99 level, being more of a convenience thing than a NEED thing.

If I'm at home, I have Wi-fi so I load up Slacker Radio if I want music on my playbook. Mainly for the reasons I mentioned. Only one playlist and to me it's kind of a hassle to have to sync to my phone and my playbook separately.
    I agree with most of the points in this post.
    03-21-12 12:30 PM
    The native player is very basic and doesnt offer many features user want.
    Equalizer functionality would be awesome (even if only presets)
    Visualizations option (like Windows media player)
    Maybe add internet radio station options?
    Bridge support is a must (both for files and using bridge if you device to incorporate internet radio).
    A nice, clean UI
    Ability to edit the song tags
    indio810 likes this.
    03-21-12 12:38 PM
    The native player is very basic and doesnt offer many features user want.
    Equalizer functionality would be awesome (even if only presets)
    Visualizations option (like Windows media player)
    Maybe add internet radio station options?
    Bridge support is a must (both for files and using bridge if you device to incorporate internet radio).
    A nice, clean UI
    Ability to edit the song tags
    Fantastic points. I don't want to see a copy of the iOS music player, but it does have some functions that I think should be standard. It organizes your audiobooks, podcasts, music, playlists. I may have a different perspective than some people I guess, but it seems to me that nowadays it should be an audio player, not just a music player.
    03-21-12 12:51 PM
    1. As mentioned above, bridge support
    2. Not sure if this is necessary to say but HDMI output capable
    3. One(two?) touch playlist creation, bbm music is great for this
    4. Album/artist selection to add to playlist
    5. Continue playlist where left off
    6. Equalizer
    7. Skin options?
    8. Tags

hmm will be back. Need more time to think on this.

Thanks for going after this!
    03-21-12 12:56 PM
    "..but it seems to me that nowadays it should be an audio player, not just a music player.."

simliar in functionality to my low tech MS 80gb 1stgen A/V Zune !!? LOL
    03-21-12 12:58 PM
    Equalizer Would be nice even though PB has Great sound but Definitely more playlist options! Skins i can cafe less for. Bridge support is a must! Price has to depend on alot of things, $2.99 Sounds pretty good $1 or $2 soundz better! Lol anything higher u can keep it! If i can deal with not having Movie steaming i can deal wit the native music player.
    03-21-12 01:06 PM
    if properly designed... i'd buy one... assuming the price isn't exorbitant...
    don't know if this is possible... but maybe a music player that can access music stored on drop or some cloud service would be amazing... i can already foresee you running into legal issues... but something to think about.. keep us posted !!!
    03-21-12 01:11 PM
    YES. $1.99. Allow Bridge to play full albums.
    03-21-12 01:20 PM
    I would pay for it for sure. Only if it is a native bb app though not an android based one.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-21-12 01:28 PM
    Alright people, thanks for all your input. In the distant future when i'm ready with some working demo, i'll post it here for beta testing and free usage.

I'll still be subscribed to this thread for notification, so feel free to post any comment
    03-21-12 01:46 PM
    "..but it seems to me that nowadays it should be an audio player, not just a music player.."

simliar in functionality to my low tech MS 80gb 1stgen A/V Zune !!? LOL
    Ya basically lol. Don't get me wrong I am enjoying my Playbook, but to release an audio player that basic nowadays? It really seems like it was just thrown on last minute. Any of the stock media apps basically suffer from the same problem.
    03-21-12 01:54 PM
    I would love to buy a song on device A and load it to the PB easily. No work around with another app. Bridge wifi wired what ever or all. Edit song titles is a must. Multiple playlists. Ring tone generator?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    03-21-12 02:12 PM
    I would simply prefer to have the native music player improved rather than getting a third-party app. And it doesn't matter to me if it's free or not.

I suggest contacting RIM development instead. If everyone thinks there are deficiencies in the native music player, then RIM should be told. Otherwise, there will be numerous apps out there which all do much the same only somewhat different. And chances are that none of them would be THE APP that everyone wants.

My guess is that the native music player will be improved in an update soon. Just be patient. RIM would then make sure that it all works seamlessly with Bridge, etc.
    03-21-12 02:27 PM
    I'll buy it provided it has too much of eye candy stuff. Knob type volume controls(like POWERamp for android) , various themes will be superb, equilizer that could also be edited etc.
    I need full utilisation of the 7inch panel.
    Categories like Playlists, most played, recently added etc.
    I'll buy it for 200 Indian rupees( around $4), I do love regular updates!
    03-21-12 02:47 PM
    I don't know what level you are on in terms of graphical development but if you can create something like the TAT experience then I would buy it.
    03-21-12 02:53 PM
    allow playlist edition, not just the "playbook" playlist
    03-21-12 05:25 PM
    Replaygain support.
    03-21-12 05:43 PM
    I paid $4.99 for Angry Birds and have played it 3 times.

For a great music player....I'd pay $4.99. I'd want a free trial version though, because I've been disappointed by several purchases in the past.
    03-21-12 05:46 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD