Very interesting discovery - after installing the gmail bar file (would not launch properly) the email settings showed up on the Task Killer list (see picture below). I was able to setup my personal google account as well as setup access to my work account through the Enterprise account settings... everything is working perfectly (just like it did with the original Android leak sys.android.bar). I've also noticed that after playing around the Clock showed up on the Task Killer list as well... unfortunaly no access to settings, however, clearly much of the base platform is accessible... it's just a matter of finding a way in...

See attached screen shots... happy to give more if they are helpful...

...and yes, I realize this is only my second post in CB.... have been reading for years, usually just not enough time to play around to find something interesting like this...
    Last edited by TOBBUser; 10-19-11 at 11:18 PM. Reason: typo
    10-19-11 11:05 PM
    ... unfortunaly no access to settings, however, clearly much of the base platform is accessible... it's just a matter of finding a way in...
    ...turns our that the same method can be used to access the Settings menu in the Android player, this time using the Tools option in Astro File Manager... however, I've found it very inconsistent... sometime the settings menu is available to open from Astro, sometimes it's not... and I can't figure out what series of steps is needed to trigger it showing as an active process in Asto... needless to say, I was able to get to the menu and modify the settings (see screen shots from other post http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...5/#post6781385), just not on a consistent basis...
    10-20-11 01:06 AM
    Yo, TOBBUser. Completely Unnecessary.

In Astro, press 'Up Directory' twice.
    Then go to 'system', 'app'

Now click on whatever app you want (like 'Settings').
    Open App Manager. Launch.
    10-20-11 01:21 AM
    What I found more interesting is if you open a picture in the app player (say through astro) and you go to the share option where you would normally be able to send a picture via MMS, twitter or email they only have the option for native email which should load up bridge email. That's pretty impressive integration.
    10-20-11 02:35 AM

This is really cool. The Android Email Client is simple and works well. And, it is a .APK file. I wonder if somebody who has it up and working could try converting this to a .BAR so it could be side-loaded on the PB and show up as an icon in the UI?
    10-20-11 04:06 AM
    Hmm, so how did you get this to work? I see the screenshots, but not explanation behind it. Please share.
    10-20-11 06:29 AM
    This is really cool. The Android Email Client is simple and works well. And, it is a .APK file. I wonder if somebody who has it up and working could try converting this to a .BAR so it could be side-loaded on the PB and show up as an icon in the UI?
    You mean like this? Yes it does work and you get native email.
    10-20-11 06:43 AM
    Score. Thanks guys.
    10-20-11 07:08 AM
    Found issue with this:

If you use an "@gmail" address, it recognizes it as Gmail and will autoconfigure.

BUT, if you have a Google Hosted Domain name, it doesn't seem to recognize it and asks for POP3/IMAP settings.

That's a real bummer for me because that's what I use.
    10-20-11 07:35 AM
    Great! Thanks a lot. After months of no email client on my PB I now have two, this Android Native Client and Kaiten mail.

I had no problems configuring my Gmail account and my work account in both... The Gmail configured automagically, and I manually entered settings for my work account.

After playing with both for about 15 minutes I prefer Kaiten right now because the Android Native doesn't give me the option to save attachments that are associated with one of its known programs...
    10-20-11 08:38 AM
    do both mail apps work with exchange server protocols? 2003 and or 2007?
    10-20-11 08:49 AM

Beautiful - it's working perfectly! I read your post reply this morning and have been using it the entire day so far at work.... now that I have Citrix (android) working with the Standard Edition gateway and full native email / contacts / calendar through the Android player I'm not bring my laptop to any of my meetings.... I was already doing this many days, but now I have everything I need with me at all times (regardless of whether my battery dies on my 9900)
    10-20-11 11:07 AM
    What I found more interesting is if you open a picture in the app player (say through astro) and you go to the share option where you would normally be able to send a picture via MMS, twitter or email they only have the option for native email which should load up bridge email. That's pretty impressive integration.
    I just ran across this in my meeting with morning, but with a twist... I was using the Android native contacts client to look up a number and tried emailing from the Android contact list (using my enterprise account) - it opened a new email on the BB in bridge mode rather than going to the native email client in Android...
    10-20-11 11:10 AM
    do both mail apps work with exchange server protocols? 2003 and or 2007?
    Not sure... we use 2007 here and that's working - maybe someone else can comment on 2003
    10-20-11 11:11 AM
    I was going to post up a link to the email apk / bar that is the exact file used in the AP, but it looks like the previously posted one is a little newer. Now to come up with a secondary "Settings" application based on the previous one so we can get into those account settings a little deeper.
    jrsbccf likes this.
    10-20-11 04:11 PM
    can anyone get threaded email to work? via the email app posted here in this thread.
    I've gone through all the settings I can find with no luck... I remembered the same thing with the original sys.android.bar leak from the summer (ie. no threaded option, at least not one I could find)...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-11 07:15 PM
    oh boo

oh well....its a start!
    Yeah, definately better than nothing... At least it gives me something as a placeholder until native support arrives... That being said, I still prefer the bridge email app... but I can't count the number of times I've had to walk across the room / downstairs / etc... to turn on bluetooth, setup a bridge connection just to send an email or lookup a contact... Very, very nice to have local content in a pinch, even if I don't use it all the time...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-11 08:16 PM

Hmm, so how did you get this to work? I see the screenshots, but not explanation behind it. Please share.
    The method that xsacha listed in the reply is actually more sonsistent / much easier to use. I ran across the email as a task listed in Advanced Task Killer Pro then subsequently found the same process running in the Astro File Manager Tools/select the process and choose "Open Application" from the list...

Much easier to just use Astro File Manager, navigate to the top level and then to the /system/app level and all the various Android apps are there - click on the one you want to run, select "Open App Manager" and then select launch (see the series of screen shots attached, in sequence of the operation). Make sure you have Advanced Task Killer Pro loaded to allow you to switch between running Android apps that you start this way as they do not show up on the task bar list at the bottom of the Android player
    10-20-11 10:58 PM
    I was going to post up a link to the email apk / bar that is the exact file used in the AP, but it looks like the previously posted one is a little newer. Now to come up with a secondary "Settings" application based on the previous one so we can get into those account settings a little deeper.
    I've attached it here. Unfortunately its not that interesting as the one of the biggest settings that would be useful is the accounts one and that's blocked. The only other potential use is the allow unauthorized sources so you should now be able to install apks direct from the PB. I've not tried this yet though and it would probably mean that you don't get an icon on the PB for it so you'd have to combine it with an alternative launcher.
    10-21-11 01:19 AM
    The basic android email is what I've needed for the PB, I don't have a BB phone and therefore dont bridge.
    What I have noticed is that if I'm sent a meeting invite via email, I can open it in the calendar, however, does anyone know how to start the calendar without going through email ?
    Also, all my contacts are synchronised, is a there a contact side to the app hiding somewhere too ?

tks
    kingbernie06511 likes this.
    10-24-11 06:40 AM
    The basic android email is what I've needed for the PB, I don't have a BB phone and therefore dont bridge.
    What I have noticed is that if I'm sent a meeting invite via email, I can open it in the calendar, however, does anyone know how to start the calendar without going through email ?
    Also, all my contacts are synchronised, is a there a contact side to the app hiding somewhere too ?

tks
    I noticed the contact sync too. Let us know if you discover anything, and I will do the same.
    10-24-11 08:34 AM

Thanks for this, works great! It also shows that the browser is fully functional as well. If I click on a URL in an email message, i get the full Android browser. I can put URL's in and off we go.

Not sure how to get the icon for the stand alone browser though.

Thanks again!
    10-24-11 09:33 AM
    Until it is in a GA'd release, that doesn't break a lot of the existing functionallity, it is not really available.
    10-24-11 09:59 AM
    right.....it's very convoluted but you can start calendar, contacts etc stand alone
    1. Install Astro file manager
    2. hit the up icon a few times to get all the way to the root
    3. tap on the system folder to open it
    4. tap on the app folder to open it
    5. you then have a list of apps
    6. tap on Calendar ( or whichever app you want ) and open App manager from the pop up
    7. tap on Launch and off you go
    10-24-11 01:30 PM
    Android email client, and email client apps from Android Market - on a playbook before a native email client or app like EarlyBird....

I am speechless... How many PB sales has Rim lost because of lack of email client
    fbloise likes this.
    10-24-11 02:08 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD