So here it is November 2011 and I'm contemplating a crazy idea: Creating a native email app for the PlayBook. Crazy, because RIM is set to release their own native email app in three months.

The reason I'm thinking about doing it is that, first of all, it would be a fun challenge, second, I don't think it would take that long to create something simple but effective (40 hours?), and third, I like the idea of helping the PlayBook since I'm fond of the device, and maybe it would be an asset to the PlayBook to have native email functionality for the Christmas season. (And fourth, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the 2.0 release slipped a month or two, so it's conceivable that native email functionality won't arrive for another five months)

Would people value having native email now rather than a few months from now, or is this a silly idea?

Let me know what you think.

The features I'm thinking of targeting:

- IMAP/SMTP
    - Storing messages locally
    - Reading a message on the local device marks it read on the server and vice versa
    - Send, Reply, Forward, Delete, Flag functionality
    - Attachments
    - Ability to view HTML emails, but only compose them as plain text
    - Get notifications when you receive new mail (haven't looked into the API for this)
    - Possibly a simple spell check
    - Closely mimic the UI of the BlackBerry Bridge Email interface.

Daniel
    11-20-11 03:54 PM
    daniel if you can..... do it because for me is very important, and what you say, i have many friend that want a playbook but they do not have a bb, so for then is not helping with out native email
    11-20-11 06:00 PM
    Snap a picture and send it?
    11-20-11 06:01 PM
    If you are so inclined go for it, just keep in mind RIM won't approve it for release in AW.
    11-20-11 06:09 PM
    Go for it. I'll buy it and try it.
    11-20-11 06:24 PM
    Go for it. I'll buy it and try it.
    +1 .......but unless you plan to offer it as a sideload (??).....this ain't gonna happen...but i'd buy it.
    11-20-11 08:03 PM
    this is great, I just hope that RIM doesn't scare you like it did at the amail devs
    11-20-11 08:16 PM
    Hey Shao128,

I had been thinking that RIM would be happy to see someone deliver some native email functionality as a stop gap for their solution next year, but you seem to suggest otherwise. Could you elaborate on why RIM wouldn't be likely to approve the app?
    11-20-11 09:00 PM
    pelletizer,

Not sure what you mean by snap a pic -- I haven't started coding yet, I'm just curious what people's thoughts are.
    11-20-11 09:01 PM
    Hey Shao128,

I had been thinking that RIM would be happy to see someone deliver some native email functionality as a stop gap for their solution next year, but you seem to suggest otherwise. Could you elaborate on why RIM wouldn't be likely to approve the app?
    Because they've denied other email apps, and I dont think they've changed their mind.
    11-20-11 09:02 PM
    Hey marksasongko,

Who are the amail people and what's the story there?
    11-20-11 09:02 PM
    Because they've denied other email apps, and I dont think they've changed their mind.
    Weird. That is counter intuitive to me. If one of the key reasons people aren't buying the PlayBook is that there isn't any native email functionality, I would think RIM would be strongly encouraging third parties to fill that void. Or am I missing something? Is it commonly understood why RIM doesn't want third parties to deliver email functionality?
    11-20-11 09:10 PM
    The last company that tried it, never got their app approved in App World.
    11-20-11 09:36 PM
    yea aMail anyone? Its against RIM to allow someone else to do an email app
    11-20-11 09:59 PM
    Weird. That is counter intuitive to me. If one of the key reasons people aren't buying the PlayBook is that there isn't any native email functionality, I would think RIM would be strongly encouraging third parties to fill that void. Or am I missing something? Is it commonly understood why RIM doesn't want third parties to deliver email functionality?
    Security, I presume. The idea seems to be that a native e-mail app would allow e-mail to be stored on the device, which could then be compromised on loss or theft or trojan, etc. So they are holding up all e-mail apps until they come out with their own secure one. And, hopefully, with APIs allowing others to propose their e-mail clients instead.
    meltbox360 likes this.
    11-20-11 11:05 PM
    Don't want it! Now, yesterday, tomorrow, or in 6 months, I don't want it ever.

I love being able to disconnect my BlackBerry phone and have all my important emails and contacts vanish from my PlayBook. There's no need to worry about friends going into my messages or looking at my contacts. No passwords or sign-ins to get to them. They can play games and browse the web without me having to stand by them to make sure they don't mess with my personal stuff.

Now an app that will do PlayBook wide AutoText is something I'd pay good money for...
    11-20-11 11:26 PM
    I want it, but am willing to wait for full support in OS2 for it. I find that I'm much faster in typing email responses on my Torch anyway, but I bet that I would be a faster typist on the PlayBook if it had autocorrect.
    11-21-11 02:23 AM
    Now an app that will do PlayBook wide AutoText is something I'd pay good money for...
    me too. oh yes...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-11 02:54 AM
    My company provides me with an iPhone which I cant even tether let alone bridge, since 2.x and 'native' android email, calendar and contacts my PB is at last all I need it to be for work,

so yes, yes and where do I send the cheque ?
    11-21-11 04:42 AM
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've emailed Alec Saunders to see if he can shed some light on the situation.
    11-21-11 07:49 AM
    Don't want it! Now, yesterday, tomorrow, or in 6 months, I don't want it ever.

I love being able to disconnect my BlackBerry phone and have all my important emails and contacts vanish from my PlayBook. There's no need to worry about friends going into my messages or looking at my contacts. No passwords or sign-ins to get to them. They can play games and browse the web without me having to stand by them to make sure they don't mess with my personal stuff.

Absolutely agree.
    11-21-11 11:34 AM
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've emailed Alec Saunders to see if he can shed some light on the situation.
    Well, no response by the end of the day. We shall see if a response comes sometime in the next few days...
    11-21-11 07:52 PM
    to shed some further light, as per the SDK`s terms and conditions, you`d need `prior approval` from RIM before submitting the app, due to its nature, of course your exploring that avenue now, we never heard if amail ever did so it would be unfair to presume on that case.

as for alec, id bet he gets a boat load of emails all the time, i emailed him shortly after devcon and he responded the next day so very professional approach.
    11-21-11 08:05 PM
    Whether it would be through App World or sideloaded I would pay for it too.
    but it would probably be better to wait and see what Alec will say about that
    11-21-11 08:11 PM
    to shed some further light, as per the SDK`s terms and conditions, you`d need `prior approval` from RIM before submitting the app, due to its nature, of course your exploring that avenue now, we never heard if amail ever did so it would be unfair to presume on that case.

as for alec, id bet he gets a boat load of emails all the time, i emailed him shortly after devcon and he responded the next day so very professional approach.
    Hey BBThemes, thanks for your note. Where can I find the SDK terms and conditions that you're referring to? I'm curious to read what you're quoting here...

Thanks!
    11-21-11 08:47 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD