Lots of criticisms on the native Adobe reader for PB.

I agree some key features are missing, personally the most noticeable are bookmarks and highlighting. I don't care about annotations or page view.

BUT, one thing Adobe Reader does well is RAM usage.

I did a test on OS2 beta.
    Loaded a PDF file in Adobe Reader, that's all I had running on the PB. Free RAM: 415mb.

I loaded the same file using Repligo Reader (android), free RAM: 184mb!!

SO either repligo uses a LOT of RAM (would like to see how much it takes on an android tablet...anyone?) or the Android player is RAM hungry.
    12-11-11 08:56 AM
    Adobe Reader on the PB has improved greatly. When I bought the PB when it first came out, Adobe Reader was only an imaginative figment of what it is now.

It still needs much improvement but much better now than before
    12-11-11 09:07 AM
    From my perspective - it is very weak. You canNOT even search for a word. I load my camera manual and what then - page through 300 pages trying to find what I'm looking for.
    12-11-11 09:21 AM
    From my perspective - it is very weak. You canNOT even search for a word. I load my camera manual and what then - page through 300 pages trying to find what I'm looking for.
    Oh, yeah... that too! Forgot about it... + Search, bookmarks and highlighting would be just perfect for my needs!
    12-11-11 09:22 AM
    Oh, yeah... that too! Forgot about it... + Search, bookmarks and highlighting would be just perfect for my needs!
    can't wait for jotsy to come out, or perhaps pdf reader from untangledev or Zezke
    12-11-11 09:59 AM
    I had to check to see if I hadn't hit my head, but this is the first time I've ever seen anyone say the Adobe Reader "isn't that bad". I think I have to sit down as I'm feeling light headed with astonishment.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-11-11 04:34 PM
    I could live with it if they at least added bookmarks. Right now it's a pain...
    12-11-11 06:02 PM
    Its also very slow, pages takes forever to render and it has to do it every time you pinch to zoom, which given that the PB is a 7" tablet you have to do it very often, IMO its a horrible app.
    12-11-11 07:44 PM
    Its complete garbage.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-11-11 08:24 PM
    I would like to be able to have two pdf doucuments open at the same time. Tired of closing one and then having to load it up later and spend time looking where I left off. Same goes for the other document apps.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-11-11 11:40 PM
    flame on!

I do like to use adobe for quick glances at things. right now its the only way I can have multiple documents open at the same time.

repligo reader (main editing tool) > adobe (reference material)
    12-12-11 12:55 AM
    I use my playbook for reading a lot of academic PDFs and the default adobe app is absolute crap for it. It can display pdfs, but that's about it. I use repligo reader's text flow, search, saved position and night/day view features extensively, and would happily sacrifice RAM usage for that-- RAM is there to be used anyways, it's only an issue when you run loads of apps and run out of memory (although QNX will/should autokill in that scenario).
    12-12-11 01:11 AM
    Lots of criticisms on the native Adobe reader for PB.

I agree some key features are missing, personally the most noticeable are bookmarks and highlighting. I don't care about annotations or page view.

BUT, one thing Adobe Reader does well is RAM usage.

I did a test on OS2 beta.
    Loaded a PDF file in Adobe Reader, that's all I had running on the PB. Free RAM: 415mb.

I loaded the same file using Repligo Reader (android), free RAM: 184mb!!

SO either repligo uses a LOT of RAM (would like to see how much it takes on an android tablet...anyone?) or the Android player is RAM hungry.
    Sorry, but not only is this not a proper comparison, but it still does not excuse or compensate for the fact that the Adobe Reader on the PlayBook is lacking fuctionality.

Obviously the extra RAM is being used by the Android Player itself, not the actual Repligo app running within Android. I opened the same PDF file on my PlayBook and on my Android phone, and found that both platforms don't use much RAM (relatively speaking) when running Adobe Reader. My Playbook used about 38 MB of RAM, and the Android phone used 22 MB of RAM. RAM consumption (or a lack thereof) is not the real issue.

The real issue is that the Playbook's Adobe Reader lacks the most basic functions, such as searching through a document. I'll admit the Android version doesn't seem any fancier (except that it does have a search function), but I don't think it meets most people's needs.
    12-12-11 01:16 AM
    You have to keep in mind that the Android player is all the guts of an entirely different operating system rolled into an application. of COURSE it's going top take up a lot of RAM.
    12-12-11 07:56 AM
    Well, it Dead Space eliminated all of those fancy graphics and scenes and action it would also take up less ram. While it might not be as full-featured, it would be more efficient at using ram, kind of like a less than full-featured (even partial featured) pdf reader.
    marksasongko likes this.
    12-12-11 09:56 AM
    native adobe pdf reader = native failure!!
    12-12-11 10:34 AM
    i agree adobe reader is horrible. the same app is also on iOS and just as horrible. at least on iOS there are numerous pdf readers available though (goodreader is probably the best one).

i have read and searched so far and the only solution i've come across is having to update to 2.0 beta and install repligo reader from android or something? surely there MUST be some other solution where i don't have to install buggy beta OS upgrades? i am not interested in tinkering with OS 2.0 beta i just want to be able to read pdfs in a non-crappy way which should not be asking too much from a tablet.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-12-11 01:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD