Great news for Canadian newspapers, I am loving the businesses going to 'where' the consumers are...

Postmedia apps come to PlayBook | Editors | National Post

OTTAWA National Post and Postmedia Network Inc.s national newspaper chain has a new page in its PlayBook.

The Post, along with the newspaper groups 10 major metropolitan dailies, on Wednesday are launching digital apps designed for the newest tablet device on the market: Research In Motions PlayBook.

As part of Postmedias digital-first strategy, we will continue to launch innovative new products to ensure our strong brands are everywhere our communities want us to be, providing them with easy access to our award-winning journalism with the best possible user experience, said Steve Buors, Postmedia Networks senior vice-president, digital media strategy and product development.

The PlayBook apps are sponsored by advertisers who sign on for a defined term. The apps, which are available via BlackBerry App World, and all their content are available to users for free. They are also designed to work within a browser environment on the RIM device, which means they can be updated as new product developments are available, from one day to the next.

For National Post, the new app joins a growing list of products built specifically for mobile devices. National Post Mobile, for Apples iPad and iPhone platforms, launched in December. Optimized websites are available for a number of platforms, including RIMs flagship BlackBerry handsets.

As always, the focus is to make sure we go where our readers go, said Douglas Kelly, the Posts publisher. This app is the latest example of that commitment.

Mr. Buors said that with the PlayBook apps designed for Postmedias city newspapers, the organization built on what it learned from the similar device it designed for Apples iPad and released last fall.

With (this product) we said, Lets bring the best of both worlds; lets bring all the great interactivity and great multimedia features you get with the web, and bring several hundred years worth of learning from the newspaper layout and style and the way people consume content.

Postmedia Network is targeting BlackBerrys business users with the new apps, but both Postmedia Network and RIM are hoping to expand their audiences.

Along with the National Post, the papers for which apps will be available are the Victoria Times Colonist, the Vancouver Sun, the Vancouver Province, the Calgary Herald, the Edmonton Journal, the Regina Leader-Post, the Saskatoon StarPhoenix, the Ottawa Citizen, the Windsor Star and the Montreal Gazette.
    04-26-11 08:58 PM
    I posted a review of this already - the National Post app is worthwhile. But the Province and Vancovuer Sun apps are horribly buggy with a coding error in the app. I've written to the company to let them know of it.
    04-26-11 09:42 PM
    Darlaten,

I read your review earlier of The Province and The National Post app. Thanks for posting of their existence! I have used both regularly this evening with no problems so far. Hopefully this means a fix is already there.
    04-26-11 10:23 PM
    Darlaten,

I read your review earlier of The Province and The National Post app. Thanks for posting of their existence! I have used both regularly this evening with no problems so far. Hopefully this means a fix is already there.
    Wow, you are right. I just tried everything this evening. The loading screen on the Province app is different then what it was the other day. No bugs in it. And much more fluid then the other day. Much much better now.
    04-26-11 10:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD