Has anyone noticed that the PB gets hotter than usual when running Android and its apps? Are we burning up the chip?
    07-27-11 09:41 AM
    I don't think that is possible, think that there is a heat protection, I read something about someone leaving their pb and bb in his car in the sun and it survived after cooling down (for a long period if I remember correctly)
    07-27-11 10:44 AM
    I'm talking about internally generated heat. Chips do get hot - that is why there are heat sinks on PCs.
    07-27-11 10:47 AM
    I am not using APlayer but my PB gets a lil hot when using it, especially, on the bb logo on the back... this is normal?
    07-27-11 11:18 AM
    i can confirm that. my pb gets hot when i run android apps for more than 15 min.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-11 12:09 PM
    Same here. Definitely gets hotter using the Android Player compared to regular use. I'm guessing all the debugging code in the player taxes the CPU more than an optimized AIR application.

The release version should be much more gentle on the CPU.
    07-27-11 12:18 PM
    Same here. Definitely gets hotter using the Android Player compared to regular use. I'm guessing all the debugging code in the player taxes the CPU more than an optimized AIR application.

The release version should be much more gentle on the CPU.
    Thanks for confirming my suspicion. I'm gonna take it off tonight. Not worth the concern over overheating.
    07-27-11 12:30 PM
    I'm talking about internally generated heat. Chips do get hot - that is why there are heat sinks on PCs.
    yes I understand, that is why I made the remark about the story, I think the hardware monitors the temperature and shuts down BEFORE it burns down or doesn't boot at all if it's hot, so it shouldn't be problem. (just like on a pc btw.)
    Please correct me if I am wrong
    07-27-11 12:35 PM
    Gotcha. Thanks
    07-27-11 12:39 PM
    But I am gonna agree big time with ya on the "resolve this issue before you release it in the final version" didn't notice it myself becouse I have an otterbox around it, but I just checked it, and it IS getting pretty hot indeed...might just remove it just to be sure, I agree with you...
    wellard likes this.
    07-27-11 12:48 PM
    The playbook gets hot anyway. If it does get too hot the playbook with shut down. It takes quite a bit of heat to do damage to their processors and they won't get to that temperature during operation. I wouldn't worry. The chip will last at least 10 years no problem due to today's manufacturing optimizations. When's the last time you've seen any cpu damaged from overheating? I've seen a cpu shut down, but it starts back up with no problems.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-11 01:41 PM
    Humm, maybe I don't work mine enough but it never feels hot or even warm.
    07-28-11 03:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD