I hope that rather than opening an os emulator like the leaded version works, you will be able to just have the emulator run in the background. I would personally want all of the android apps on one blade by itself on the front screen. Opening up another os to run an app would be a pain.
    07-25-11 08:05 AM
    my hope is that it offically comes out soon with a better UI.
    naudurivsm and esqlaw like this.
    07-25-11 10:14 AM
    My hope is that we don't have to rely on an OS emulator for this thing to be useful.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    07-25-11 10:16 AM
    My hope is that it won't enter in conflict with the browser like the leaked player does
    07-25-11 12:12 PM
    this android player thing may end up like the native email issue.
    at some point there will be some technical limitations (its the BBID/PIN on wifi pb's native email) which makes it difficult to implement and so on, and will get delayed.
    if emulating was so easy, and practical, then you will have many devices running 2 or 3 OS in the market. its a make or break. if it succeed and works well, according to any timeline (nobody knows when this thing will become operational), and may be the first in the market. there may be some enthusiasm in the market (a selling point - hey! it can play android games!).
    07-25-11 12:19 PM
    Well when it launches, RIM has been very clear that each android app will have its own icon and will open like any other app. you will not be opening an emulator and then running apps. the leaked app player is a debugging console for devs. the app player will actually be baked in...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-11 12:25 PM
    this android player thing may end up like the native email issue.
    at some point there will be some technical limitations (its the BBID/PIN on wifi pb's native email) which makes it difficult to implement and so on, and will get delayed.
    if emulating was so easy, and practical, then you will have many devices running 2 or 3 OS in the market. its a make or break. if it succeed and works well, according to any timeline (nobody knows when this thing will become operational), and may be the first in the market. there may be some enthusiasm in the market (a selling point - hey! it can play android games!).
    Well Android is open source and free but other OS will mean licensing and more money. Hybrids don't really sell well. It's cool at first but as time goes on you tend to use only one OS. I'm sure you'll see some person trying to put some other OS on another platform but I don't see it really taking off outside of a small percentage of users.

Now the BB bridge browser I can see Android & iOS coming up with their own version and implemented which is why I think AT&T put a halt to it out of the gate.
    07-25-11 12:29 PM
    my hope is that it offically comes out soon with a better UI.
    I will also wait until it is officially available on PB and that's why I did not install it yet( the leaked version).
    07-25-11 12:31 PM
    this android (inside QNX) will take the shine out of QNX. i would say it's not a solution - a piecemeal solution perhaps, while buying out time for QNX applications to be ready (which is waiting for NDK SDK or whatever , and so forth - god when will it get done?)

i think the time line should go this way.
    may 2011 - pb launch, NDK SDK released.
    june 2011 - android player - email client (k9) etc.
    july 2011 - native applications coming in
    august 2011 - more native applications. less and less people using android apps.
    september 2011 - radio version 3g/4g launched.
    07-25-11 12:36 PM
    I like your time line and the NDK should have been in the hands of the developers before the PB was released imo or shortly after.

It just seems like one stumble after another with this release
    07-25-11 12:41 PM
    Well when it launches, RIM has been very clear that each android app will have its own icon and will open like any other app. you will not be opening an emulator and then running apps. the leaked app player is a debugging console for devs. the app player will actually be baked in...

How do you know this?

07-25-11 12:43 PM
    the android player comes out too late. if it works a month after release, it will stave off negative reviews.
    07-25-11 12:45 PM
    I like your time line and the NDK should have been in the hands of the developers before the PB was released imo or shortly after.

It just seems like one stumble after another with this release
    I'm kind of curious about this aspect of the Playbook as well. I'm not a tech person, so I really don't understand how this all works, but how are ANY applications available for the PlayBook if the NDK isn't available yet? Or was it made available only to certain developers? Or are there multiple ways to create apps for the PlayBook? It strikes me as odd that there is a device out in the market for which you cannot develop applications...
    07-25-11 12:57 PM
    I'm kind of curious about this aspect of the Playbook as well. I'm not a tech person, so I really don't understand how this all works, but how are ANY applications available for the PlayBook if the NDK isn't available yet? Or was it made available only to certain developers? Or are there multiple ways to create apps for the PlayBook? It strikes me as odd that there is a device out in the market for which you cannot develop applications...
    Well you can use Adobe Air to create apps but I think NDK apps would be more efficent. I know RIM got TAT to do something things but I thought RIM would have gone to a few of their more popular developers and said hey look, this is what we're about to do. Can we get you on board. That way you get a few key native apps at release. I just don't get why it's taking so long to get this out to developers. It'll be next year before and thing of substance will be released.

I like the idea of the Android Player/Emu but I think it's the cart before the horse releasing it before the NDK. I feel developers aren't going to use resources for the NDK when they can just simply port what they've already written for the most part. Somethings will have to be done via the NDK but the question is with all the flack that the PB is taking will anyone want to allocate resources to it.
    07-25-11 01:11 PM
    yeah it was explained somewhere that you can use adobe air to make apps but it won't be as good as using the NDK (native development kit?). hence poor apps in app world. all the fancy stuff we saw in android market and app store is using NDKs.
    so why the hardware's out before the NDK is beyond understanding. it's like using a carburettor in a 2011 mercedes SLS AMG because you don't have your contract with Bosch to get the electronics (injection + body chassis controls). so you drove the SLS on carburetted engine with no ac, no music etc. go to workshop every other week to adjust and tune the engine. overheated once in a while. towed. and you are still negotiating the bosch contract, some legal issues looms, and your sls won't start this morning.
    mmcpher likes this.
    07-25-11 01:18 PM
    Well you can use Adobe Air to create apps but I think NDK apps would be more efficent. I know RIM got TAT to do something things but I thought RIM would have gone to a few of their more popular developers and said hey look, this is what we're about to do. Can we get you on board. That way you get a few key native apps at release. I just don't get why it's taking so long to get this out to developers. It'll be next year before and thing of substance will be released.

I like the idea of the Android Player/Emu but I think it's the cart before the horse releasing it before the NDK. I feel developers aren't going to use resources for the NDK when they can just simply port what they've already written for the most part. Somethings will have to be done via the NDK but the question is with all the flack that the PB is taking will anyone want to allocate resources to it.
    Thank you! I've been wondering the same thing. Why would RIM shoot themselves in the foot and allow someone to port over their Android app without giving them the NDK and an incentive to design the app in a form that would perform better (most likely) and subsequently make RIM look better? That should have been the first option, and then a month or two or three later give a way to port over an existing app. At least that way, RIM would have at least a few devs make native apps for QNX so they wouldn't miss out on one, two, or three months worth of revenue.
    07-25-11 01:25 PM
    I sort of see the lack of a NDK and the Android player like this: buying a new PS3 and only being able to play PS2 & PS1 games on it. All that hardware firepower going to waste. I wouldn't expect tons of NDK apps but heck a few good ones would be nice.
    nomi1978, kirson, OniBerry and 2 others like this.
    07-25-11 01:25 PM
    morning folks. lets start all over again but some coffe first

does anyone can confirm what's the timeline of this android player? any specific date? october?
    07-25-11 05:57 PM
    morning folks. lets start all over again but some coffe first

does anyone can confirm what's the timeline of this android player? any specific date? october?
    RIM claims end of summer. If they manage to meet that deadline we should see it around 1 Oct.
    07-25-11 06:48 PM
    and it coincides with the devcon or something in october?
    maybe the radio version wil be launched in october as well?
    07-25-11 06:54 PM
    Can you all try an keep your ePenises in your pants, k.. thnxs.
    07-25-11 09:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD