I have decided it is time to get a decent file manager. I have downloaded the trial of Files and Folders and like it, although I find sometimes when you select more than one file to cut or copy, it still only wants to cut or copy one file.

With all the different photos I am starting to find on my playbook, I really need to get them all organized.

"My File Manger" doesn't have a trial, so I am leery in buying and then being ticked I didn't get "Files and Folders".

Which ones do you guys use?

My main purpose will be to organize photos and pdf files.
    05-27-12 10:36 PM
    If it's just to organize files, Air Browser is quite good for free.
    05-27-12 10:56 PM
    I'm a big fan of files and folders. I've had it since it came out. Regular updates which is a huge plus!
    Innovatology likes this.
    05-27-12 11:00 PM
    Ghost Commander (free in app world) hands down, especially for what you want to do. Although it's a ported android app, it's a dual pane file manager that allows for multi-selection of files. So if you want to move a number of files around, you can open the folder with the files to be moved in one pane, then open the folder that you want to move them to in the other pane, then select the files to be moved, tap move, and you're done- no need to navigate back and forth. It also does a lot more, allowing you to manage all of your android apps and can also be used to browse the shared files on your PC wirelessly.
    05-27-12 11:49 PM
    I'll check out Ghost Commander. Sounds like it might be just what I need.
    05-28-12 12:18 AM
    Ghost Commander (free in app world) hands down, especially for what you want to do. Although it's a ported android app, it's a dual pane file manager that allows for multi-selection of files. So if you want to move a number of files around, you can open the folder with the files to be moved in one pane, then open the folder that you want to move them to in the other pane, then select the files to be moved, tap move, and you're done- no need to navigate back and forth. It also does a lot more, allowing you to manage all of your android apps and can also be used to browse the shared files on your PC wirelessly.
    I'm guessing that it doesn't work with bridge since it's an android app.??

Can you use this app with files on your smartphone?
    Last edited by erhan8; 05-28-12 at 01:37 AM.
    05-28-12 12:53 AM
    Okay, now when I created new folders in Ghost Commander and moved the pics into the new folders, none of the folders (or the pics in them) are showing up in my albums. They are there in Ghost Commander, but the Playbook isn't recognizing the new folders as it did for the ones I made in Files and Folders.
    05-28-12 12:57 AM
    Try downloading Air Browser and using it to create the folders you want. Then you can use Ghost to move the files you want to move into these folders and the Pictures app should see them.
    05-28-12 01:37 AM
    Okay, now when I created new folders in Ghost Commander and moved the pics into the new folders, none of the folders (or the pics in them) are showing up in my albums. They are there in Ghost Commander, but the Playbook isn't recognizing the new folders as it did for the ones I made in Files and Folders.
    That's why I tend to stay away from Android apps.

Did u try a restart on the PB?
    05-28-12 01:40 AM
    I'm guessing that it doesn't work with bridge since it's an android app.??

Can you use this app with files on your smartphone?
    I have no idea.
    05-28-12 01:42 AM
    I have no idea.
    So I'm guessing by "I have no idea " you mean you don't own a BlackBerry smartphone?
    05-28-12 01:55 AM
    So I'm guessing by "I have no idea " you mean you don't own a BlackBerry smartphone?
    correct.................
    05-28-12 02:01 AM
    correct.................
    K. Well, you should get one they are pretty cool.

Anyone know if it works with bridge?
    05-28-12 02:23 AM
    Just get files and folders, good app with regular updates which add more functions as well as bug fixes with every release.
    05-28-12 04:34 AM
    Just get files and folders, good app with regular updates which add more functions as well as bug fixes with every release.
    I do like Files and Folders, but as I mentioned it often won't let me move more than one file at a time. When I first go to move something, it lets me move multiple files, but after that, it will only move one at a time.

What about "My File Manager"? It gets good reviews, but I do wish it had a trial. Does anyone on this board use it?

Edit: I have emailed the dev of Files and Folders, so hopefully I can find out if this is a bug in the trial, or if will continue after purchase.
    Last edited by crackberryjill; 05-28-12 at 09:22 AM.
    05-28-12 09:07 AM
    I do like Files and Folders, but as I mentioned it often won't let me move more than one file at a time. When I first go to move something, it lets me move multiple files, but after that, it will only move one at a time.

What about "My File Manager"? It gets good reviews, but I do wish it had a trial. Does anyone on this board use it?

Edit: I have emailed the dev of Files and Folders, so hopefully I can find out if this is a bug in the trial, or if will continue after purchase.
    Files-Folders developer is very active on the forum. So I would guess there will be a response even to this thread.
    05-28-12 09:35 AM
    K. Well, you should get one they are pretty cool.

Anyone know if it works with bridge?
    At this point, don't think any work inside of bridge.

Hopefully Rim will let this happen in the near future!
    05-28-12 09:57 AM
    files and folders works with bridge. I browse files all the time. cut/paste/delete/create new folder, all work great with bridge. you can even "star" folders as a favorite and get back to it easily
    05-28-12 10:09 AM
    files and folders works with bridge. I browse files all the time. cut/paste/delete/create new folder, all work great with bridge. you can even "star" folders as a favorite and get back to it easily
    Yup, I've been using Files & Folders for months, and it works beautifully across Bridge, Box.net, and Dropbox. The Dropbox integration is wonderful, and I use it everyday.

I haven't engaged with the developer myself, but the fact that he or she is actively putting out updates is definitely reassuring. Every update makes the app much better!

Only feedback I could give is about the icon. Not to my taste, might want to consider a redesign, but heck, what do I know?
    05-28-12 11:15 AM
    File Browser also works with Bridge, I was wondering if Ghost Commander does as well, being an android app.
    05-28-12 12:44 PM
    Yup, I've been using Files & Folders for months, and it works beautifully across Bridge, Box.net, and Dropbox. The Dropbox integration is wonderful, and I use it everyday.

I haven't engaged with the developer myself, but the fact that he or she is actively putting out updates is definitely reassuring. Every update makes the app much better!

Only feedback I could give is about the icon. Not to my taste, might want to consider a redesign, but heck, what do I know?
    I like the icon, but what do I know?

Off topic for a second here but, when the heck is Desktop Bridge coming???
    Will it connect to our smartphones as well?
    Will it support all Bridge apps?
    05-28-12 01:06 PM
    I like File Browser quite a bit. $0.99 was the perfect price point for me too.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    05-28-12 01:23 PM
    I use Files and Folders

It works excellently for me - and I really like the way it integrates with SugarSync & DropBox too

When I have advised clients, who have bought PlayBooks, I have told them to add in the cost of Files and Folders as a mandatory utility
    05-28-12 02:16 PM
    Files and Folders has many more settings. My file manager cannot favorite folders or select a folder to start up in. That is a big plus for me
    05-28-12 02:42 PM
    To get to the phones files you need to unlock it on the pb at the top icon for it.
    05-28-12 03:01 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD