Over the weekend I had to "wipe" my Torch and in the process managed to wipe out my password keeper app. Dumb I know and now I'm having to go through the hassle of resetting a ton of passwords. In addition to learning that I should read the instructions before I do something like "wipe" I also learned how stupid it is to keep all of your passwords on a single device.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good password vault program that will allow me to store my passwords on my phone, my Playbook, and my PC?
    06-13-11 12:04 PM
    Ascendo's Datavault works on the BB phones and my computer (windows's pc) but as I read your subject, I thought I would contact them about a PB app. They do not have one, as far as I know. By the way, if you had backed up your Torch using Desktop Manager, you should be able to restore the Passsword keeper and data.
    Last edited by F2; 06-13-11 at 12:20 PM.
    06-13-11 12:14 PM
    I'm personally a fan of KeePass, which has variants for pretty much everything except the PlayBook. (Hopefully that'll change, but its not likely to happen until we have non-Web/Air development options.)
    06-13-11 12:38 PM
    Ascendo's Datavault works on the BB phones and my computer (windows's pc) but as I read your subject, I thought I would contact them about a PB app. They do not have one, as far as I know. By the way, if you had backed up your Torch using Desktop Manager, you should be able to restore the Passsword keeper and data.
    That's where I didn't read the entire directions. I did backup using DM but didn't realize that backing up one's apps required a separate step or setting. It backed up my PIM data (which I really didn't need because I'm on BES) but not my apps.
    06-13-11 12:56 PM
    You may have inadvertently backed up the Password data. I think you can probably get a copy of the password keeper app or its cod file and reinstall it.

I really liked the password keeper app but did not like that there was no complementary desktop app which is why I went with DataVault. I did drop them an email after replying in this thread about a pb variant. But as mentioned in the keeppass note, I'm sure it would be a ways off if they even consider it.
    06-13-11 01:32 PM
    That's where I didn't read the entire directions. I did backup using DM but didn't realize that backing up one's apps required a separate step or setting. It backed up my PIM data (which I really didn't need because I'm on BES) but not my apps.
    Yeah, you may have that backup data still on your computer somewhere... Get the password keeper app reloaded to your phone using app loader or whatever method you like. Once it's installed on the phone again, go to desktop manager and choose "Device->Restore."

Once you're in the restore window you can pick one of your backups, either old or new will probably do here, but you'll want the latest backup that has the data in it. After you've picked your backup file, choose the "Select device data and settings" radio button, then scroll down to the "PasswordKeeper" data type and make sure it has some entries. PasswordKeeper is right after Options in the list, and if it's not there, the password keeper data wasn't backed up.

One more trick, if the PasswordKeeper data type is greyed out, you'll have to delete the desktop sync service book, and then re-open the restore window. Everything should be selectable at that point, and it will reload the service book by just unplugging it and plugging it back in while DM is open so no worries with deleting it. My entry looks like "CompanyName [SYNC]" on my BB, where CompanyName is replaced with your BES friendly name.

Hope that helps!
    06-13-11 03:12 PM
    I am hoping RIM will bring out BlackBerry Wallet for the Playbook. It is what I use at the moment and Desktop Manager backs it up along with everything else.
    06-13-11 03:15 PM
    Another +1 here for Ascendo Datavault. My wife and I both use it. She has an iPhone she syncs with her laptop, and I use it on my Torch with my laptop. We keep our data file on a network drive so all of our devices all stay in sync with all of our important family info in it.

Very handy!
    Last edited by Mojoski; 06-13-11 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Fixing typo
    06-13-11 03:22 PM
    Personally, I'm a huge proponent for LastPass.

Unfortunately, we are still in attempting to get them to develop for the playbook:

LastPass Forums • View topic - LastPass for Blackberry Playbook
    06-13-11 11:49 PM
    Ascendo just confirmed for me that they are working on a Playbook version of DataVault.. See my other thread!

That seals the deal for me.. DataVault all the way. I already use it on my Torch, on Windows and on my wife's iPhone.. Why not on my Playbook too? Sweet!!
    06-14-11 12:16 AM
    DataVault working on OS7?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-11 10:46 PM
    I use SafeWallet, and love it. They just released an extension to use it in Chrome too, which is pretty sweet. They don't have a PlayBook version yet, but they told me like a week ago that they are "diligently working on it" and "doing our utmost to complete this new update"
    11-10-11 11:01 PM
    I have not seen any evidence of DataVault making it to the pb yet. I would really like it, too.
    11-10-11 11:34 PM
    I noticed that the BB Password Keeper gets backed up through BlackBerry Protect on my 9900. I don't think it did that on my 9000.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-11 11:41 AM
    Hey,

We have just released Vault - Password Manager for PlayBook. You can view the details and download it from the BlackBerry App World here.

We also have a thread (here) specific to this app where you can provide your comments, suggestions and feedback.
    11-23-11 08:13 AM
    Hey,

We have just released Vault - Password Manager for PlayBook. You can view the details and download it from the BlackBerry App World here.

We also have a thread (here) specific to this app where you can provide your comments, suggestions and feedback.
    While that app looks nice, there's nothing in the description that says it is multi-platform. I know I'm not the only one here that doesn't want a different password app for phone, tablet, and computer(s). We want all devices to sync up and only have to enter the passwords once, not 3 times...
    11-23-11 09:45 AM
    While that app looks nice, there's nothing in the description that says it is multi-platform. I know I'm not the only one here that doesn't want a different password app for phone, tablet, and computer(s). We want all devices to sync up and only have to enter the passwords once, not 3 times...
    We have plans in the short term to create a desktop companion (Mac & Win) for this app which will keep passwords in sync between your PlayBook and PC. This desktop companion will be sold as a separate app directly via our website. We don't have any immediate plans to create a mobile version at the moment though.
    11-23-11 11:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD