The other kids on the block have had solid movie player apps that will play just about any format you throw at them. We currently have zero. Any headway made in the sideloading scene yet? Last I checked the sideloaded ones were really unstable. This blows, I have far too many movies to undertake a massive search of what needs converting let alone actually converting them all.

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk
    03-21-12 01:22 AM
    Nothing native yet, and I read in the VLC player thread that Android qpps can't access hardware acceleration, so it'd be SD resolution only (if at all).

While it's annoying and I'd welcome any player that plays more formats (AC3) and containers (mkv), it's not that big of a problem. Chances are that all avi files will play without converting, and 99% of mkv files will use H.264 for video, which just leaves the audio for conversion (and the container of course). I load my files in avidemux, select AAC, stereo downmix for audio and copy for video plus MP4 as container and save the file directly to the Playbook. Takes the exact time you'd need to copy the files without conversion.
    03-21-12 02:51 AM
    Takes the exact time you'd need to copy the files without conversion.
    well that part is actually more optimistic than accurate (it's physically impossible for converting and saving to take as little time as a direct file copy), but looks like I may have to try out sideloading either Act 1 or ArcMedia but I'm not getting my hopes up. Such a shame, I've had Mobi on my phone for a year and it handles everything I throw at it like a champ.
    03-21-12 08:46 AM
    well that part is actually more optimistic than accurate (it's physically impossible for converting and saving to take as little time as a direct file copy),
    Yes, you are right. However, due to the low transfer speeds to the playbook and the high transcoding capabilities of modern computers (AC3->MP3 or AAC is easily possible in 20x-30x real time), the delay incurred is usually unnoticeable. Haven't done any studies on this yet, but should hold up for HD material (500MB for 20mins of content at 5mb/sec transfer speed=100 sec transfer time, 20mins playtime=60sec conversion time)
    03-22-12 07:54 AM
    Time for a bump. Has any progress been made on this on the app scene yet?
    04-28-12 10:59 PM
    Time for a bump. Has any progress been made on this on the app scene yet?
    er... depends how you define progress

current I can open a video file and dump out a frame

unfortunately this is the output...

edit:

Okay, after a bunch of fiddling around I have a proper image at least.
    Last edited by AnthonyMMWaB; 04-29-12 at 12:57 PM.
    04-29-12 01:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD