I was playing around with Pirate Wings and in the tutorial it said things like "Turn the iPhone to..."

So I was wondering are most of the Apps and Games on the PlayBook simply being ported over, or do we have most of them being written in Native code?
    06-09-12 09:34 AM
    I was playing around with Pirate Wings and in the tutorial it said things like "Turn the iPhone to..."

So I was wondering are most of the Apps and Games on the PlayBook simply being ported over, or do we have most of them being written in Native code?
    All our apps are native. Can't speak for others.
    Blackberry_boffin and kozmo68 like this.
    06-09-12 09:48 AM

What makes you think porting is not native code? iOS apps are written in Objective-C I believe. This will be re-written to C++ for PB and compiled with the PB NDK.

Just because Android ports run in a VM and therefore aren't native code, doesn't mean that ported apps can't be native code Even Android apps could be re-written to C++ and compiled with the NDK rather than converted with the official tools. (Although it's easier to port from iOS's Objective-C to C++ rather than from Java. So generally if cross platform games come to the PB, it'll be a port of the iOS version)
    06-09-12 10:46 AM
    What makes you think porting is not native code? iOS apps are written in Objective-C I believe. This will be re-written to C++ for PB and compiled with the PB NDK.

Just because Android ports run in a VM and therefore aren't native code, doesn't mean that ported apps can't be native code Even Android apps could be re-written to C++ and compiled with the NDK rather than converted with the official tools. (Although it's easier to port from iOS's Objective-C to C++ rather than from Java. So generally if cross platform games come to the PB, it'll be a port of the iOS version)
    Ok thanks. It saves the developers time and money. Just would like to see more focus on the PB on my PB, rather than seeing an image of another device in my tutorial and other areas. I guess I am being too meticulous.
    06-09-12 11:37 AM
    Ok thanks. It saves the developers time and money. Just would like to see more focus on the PB on my PB, rather than seeing an image of another device in my tutorial and other areas. I guess I am being too meticulous.
    It's not even that.

Apps don't exist in a vacuum --- there are always going to be pre-existing codes from somewhere else. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light first came out on the XBox. Then the developer took the xBox codes and port them to iOS. Then the developer took the iOS codes and port them to the Playbook.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is in native codes on the XBox, on the iphone and on the Playbook. That's how app development works, they are not going to re-write the whole game from scratch.

What you are seeing in the Pirate Wings mistake is similar to the the mistake in cutting and pasting of the ebook War and Peace.

War and Peace E-Book Readers Find a Surprise in Their Nooks | Entertainment | TIME.com
    06-09-12 01:00 PM
    It's not even that.

Apps don't exist in a vacuum --- there are always going to be pre-existing codes from somewhere else. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light first came out on the XBox. Then the developer took the xBox codes and port them to iOS. Then the developer took the iOS codes and port them to the Playbook.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is in native codes on the XBox, on the iphone and on the Playbook. That's how app development works, they are not going to re-write the whole game from scratch.

What you are seeing in the Pirate Wings mistake is similar to the the mistake in cutting and pasting of the ebook War and Peace.

War and Peace E-Book Readers Find a Surprise in Their Nooks | Entertainment | TIME.com
    Mistakes like that come down to either saving time, or just being lazy... I'm going with saving time. Cuz developers aren't lazy people. I refuse to be believe that. lol
    06-09-12 01:05 PM
    The dev forgot to replace one or two images when compiling the ported version of the game, no big deal really. I'm sure they'll release an update fixing it sometime. Chances are it's a case of replacing one or two images in the project folder and hitting "build" in whatever IDE they use. Maybe they'll wait until they have a worthwhile update before even bothering to release such a fix.
    06-09-12 01:07 PM
    Mistakes like that come down to either saving time, or just being lazy... I'm going with saving time. Cuz developers aren't lazy people. I refuse to be believe that. lol
    I hear you. If you make a mistake, it's just a mistake. If you forget to get the milk on the way home, you forgive yourself because, after all, you are only human. But if a developer publishes a less than perfect app, it must be on purpose to save time or because she is lazy.
    SifJar likes this.
    06-09-12 01:46 PM
    I hear you. If you make a mistake, it's just a mistake. If you forget to get the milk on the way home, you forgive yourself because, after all, you are only human. But if a developer publishes a less than perfect app, it must be on purpose to save time or because she is lazy.
    LOL I touched a nerve huh? Oh well... Some will take your views personal, others won't.
    Axis1717 likes this.
    06-09-12 02:56 PM
    LOL I touched a nerve huh? Oh well... Some will take your views personal, others won't.
    Some people on here are really really really sensitive, so watch what you say!
    06-09-12 03:03 PM
    Some people on here are really really really sensitive, so watch what you say!
    Comments like that come down to either being a troll or totally lacking an understanding of the creative process... I'm going with ignorance. Cuz you certainly aren't a troll. I refuse to be believe that. lol
    06-09-12 04:45 PM
    Well thanks for your responses guys! I got my answer from SifJar so you all can go tit for tat until this thread is locked! Fire away!
    06-09-12 06:03 PM
    "Snicker"

*Rolls over and goes back to sleep*

06-09-12 06:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD