I just came across this site today browsing for any new info on our long awaited Playbook. They list quite a few apps with in depth details. I even came across an online convo between a staples rep and a customer suggesting the Playbook would be released on 12 Apr. Clearly some of the info is dated, but still I believe it to be of some use to us. Enjoy, and don't forget to hit that Thanks button! Makes me feel special. LOL!!! L8rz!!!

PlayBook Daily

P.S. Sorry if i'm late, lol!

Link to the Staples Rep conversation below. Article dated 24 Mar 11

BlackBerry PlayBook Available at Staples Stores April 12th.
    Last edited by Thachoc1; 04-05-11 at 12:54 PM.
    biggulpseh and Oilfan_2009 like this.
    04-05-11 12:21 PM
    Am I the only one who thinks some of those games are pretty simplistic graphics wise? Where's all the stuff that pushes the video chipset on this thing to the max? The games listed look like they were written in GW Basic.
    04-05-11 02:46 PM
    They do look pretty weak but I think some people were more interested in getting a free playbook them building a mind blowing game. **** I'd do the same thing if I knew how.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-11 03:03 PM
    Most of the apps are written in Flash, and I don't know if it's even possible to write apps that "pushes the video chipset to the max" with the Adobe Air SDK's. I'd think the big boys (ex. EA) with native SDK will put out the higher end gaming titles in the beginning. And you'll see better stuff from indies when the native SDK is released for public consumption.

By the way, any news from Gameloft on whether they're developing for the PlayBook? Good titles from them on iPad.
    04-05-11 03:10 PM
    Native SDK hasn't been released, so "pushes the video chipset ... to the max" isn't really feasible for indie developers just yet.
    04-05-11 03:11 PM
    Am I the only one who thinks some of those games are pretty simplistic graphics wise? Where's all the stuff that pushes the video chipset on this thing to the max? The games listed look like they were written in GW Basic.
    NDK not released yet.
    04-05-11 03:14 PM
    I agree with JRS even though they are Adobe Air. I've still seen some pretty good graphical flash games. I've held comments on some I've seen posted.

I really don't want to see RIM flooding their app store with, not sure which word to use so I'll just say lesser quality apps in order to say they have x amount of apps
    04-05-11 03:27 PM
    I really don't want to see RIM flooding their app store with, not sure which word to use so I'll just say lesser quality apps in order to say they have x amount of apps
    I completely agree with you on that. In fact I just said the very same thing to a guy outside a few mins ago. All these apps, boo whoo, over half of them turn out to be crap. And I'm willing to bet that not every single app has been used in these never ending wells of apps.

Overall if that's they (Devs) had to do to get a free PB, I shoulda let my 9 yr old go to work. SMH

JRSC, I thought the exact same thing regarding the look of these games. Its like umm, gameboy color. Gimme that NFS (Need for Speed) look, I paid so much for it, now show me what it can really do.
    04-05-11 03:48 PM
    I was going to make a comment about one game I saw that looked like something I would play on my Atari but decided against it. I didn't want to argue over it here. I've critiqued an app I saw here. It was a bible app, I thought the layout needed to be redone to make it more user friendly and readable, even took a few minutes to build some screens that IMO would really make that developers app better or an idea of what I'd like to see. I'll see if I can find the link to the thread and post it.

It's good that people are making games and apps for it and if I had more time I'd probably toss something in there but RIM shouldn't be so easy on passing out PB's for apps but I guess it builds a stronger relationship.

Another thing that I'm not sure of is the Android stuff. While there are a few Android apps that will be useful, I think a lot of developers will take the easy route and code for Android. That way they can sell their stuff to the Android users and a quick repackage and sell to the PlayBook crowd.

I think apps from the NDK will be slow coming and probably only from larger companies because people are going to go for the quick and easy port from Android or we'll see my Adobe Air apps

I guess it's a wait and see

ETA:
    Link I mentioned earlier,should be on the 2nd page
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/som...posted-582732/

I don't always criticize. I do try to be helpful
    Last edited by Daps; 04-05-11 at 04:44 PM.
    04-05-11 04:06 PM
    It's not going to happen over night. You can't take full advantage of the hardware like that without writing natively for the platform with c/c++. The native SDK hasn't been released yet so, until then, don't expect to be playing Crysis on the Playbook.

However, if you want to take a look at a really hardware intensive game, check out Machinarium for the playbook.

RIM’s BlackBerry PlayBook tablet demo shows off multitasking with games (video) | VentureBeat

The game is a full flash game for PCs, with MINIMUM hardware requirements of a 1.6 Ghz processor, 1 GB RAM. This was ported to the Playbook already with minimal effort. No native SDK was needed for this game, so this is just a taste.

Second point, this site showcases any and all apps that are getting approved for the Playbook. Because of RIM's free Playbook incentive, many of these are little games put together in a very quick time in order to get them submitted for approval.

So, stop trying to draw conclusions on a platform's capabilities based on a few games you see on a site that posts any and every app showing up for the Playbook and wait for the thing to actually release and the native sdk to get into developer's hands.
    Last edited by Kill3r.Conc3ptz; 04-05-11 at 06:33 PM.
    04-05-11 06:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD