Hello everyone,

We've been recently tinkering with a wireframing tool for the Playbook tablet. Being able to quickly mockup a website page or web app concept and get others to pitch in is an awesome means of getting feedback and making things right from the start without ever writing one line of code. Doing this on a tablet really gives you a mobility boost... and present a a whole new set of challenges to the app in order to be easily usable.

We thought about giving it a go and seeing where it leads us so here it is: using your fingers to build prototypes in an easy and fun way.

MockItUp is still work in progress but we wanted to reach out to you and get your feedback to see if this is worth while.

The cornermarks of MockItUp will have to be ease of use and mobility.

MockItUp will do its best to get out of your way when you're building a mockup. No countless buttons and tabs and stuff. It's just you and the canvas. The rest will only appear when needed so you can get work done as soon as you open the app.

Once a mockup built, you will be able to send it via email or upload it to dropbox or other cloud storage provider.

One very neat feature will be a collaborative design in which you will be able to connect multiple devices is a design session. The other participants will see live the changes you make to the mockup and even be able to step in and propose adjustments.

We'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject. To make things easier we provided a small preview of MockItUp. Please keep in mind that this is in early stage and surely things will evolve a great deal.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt2EiOJ__KQ[/YT]
    06-17-12 02:44 PM
    It looks great in this early stage! I would be very happy to have a tool like this one.
    Hope we can see more in the next days.

Regards
    Otmar
    06-17-12 03:16 PM
    This looks like a fantastic tool! If you have a need for a beta tester, let me know. I'm a developer as well, so I'm good to deal with some bugs and give constructive feedback.

Here's an idea, what if this was even made to be visio-ish? So that you could mock up say a floor plan or something similar to show placements of objects? If you could do that, or design and save your own "shapes" then this would really be a killer app.

Looking forward to seeing what becomes of this!
    h20work, Bungalow_Bill and Alexutz like this.
    06-17-12 04:27 PM
    looks good. would be great if you had actual blackberry controls found in AIR SDK, webworks and in Cascades for BB 10. I could for sure use it mocking up new screens for my apps. thanks for doing this

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    06-17-12 04:38 PM
    Looks promising. I'd definitely be interested.
    06-17-12 04:51 PM
    Microsoft Visual Studio (.NET) but for the Playbook. I like it.

I still love coding in .NET, so this should be interesting.
    06-17-12 05:28 PM
    This looks like a fantastic tool! If you have a need for a beta tester, let me know. I'm a developer as well, so I'm good to deal with some bugs and give constructive feedback.

Here's an idea, what if this was even made to be visio-ish? So that you could mock up say a floor plan or something similar to show placements of objects? If you could do that, or design and save your own "shapes" then this would really be a killer app.

I'd kill for visio on the pb! I'd love to make simple wiring diagrams on the fly.
    06-17-12 05:47 PM
    Please finish this I have to have it. Looks easy to use and I must have this.
    06-17-12 06:41 PM

Having a visio style design should be pretty much straightforward with MockItUp. It's just a matter of using the normal shapes (rectangle, line, ellipse and some text associated) instead of the ui controls. The ability to have custom shapes is something we intend to build in.

Thanks for the ideas! We'd be sure to give a holler once beta testing begins.
    06-18-12 01:02 PM
    I want this. Any ETA?
    06-18-12 01:18 PM
    I want this. Any ETA?
    We don't have a clear ETA yet but we will post regularly on this thread showing our progress. Right now we want to get all the basic stuff up and running, release a first version and then iterate upon it to add more widgets and capabilities.
    06-19-12 12:13 PM
    looks good. would be great if you had actual blackberry controls found in AIR SDK, webworks and in Cascades for BB 10. I could for sure use it mocking up new screens for my apps. thanks for doing this

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    Thank you!
    We plan to offer skin sets for various devices, such as the PLaybook AIR controls or the new Cascades ones and for IOS too along the standard skins. It would be a bit of work for those but it's something we considered from the start.
    06-20-12 02:18 PM
    Just wanted to check in on this and see if any progress had been made. It may be helpful for you to know that I also have a Dev Alpha device that I could do some testing for you if you like.

Hope development is going smoothly!
    07-30-12 05:50 PM
    Hi HaTaX,

Thanks for checking back on us. Right now things are going a bit slow as we are also preparing our StateOfCash app for an autumn major release but we haven't lost our drive and focus. We expect to have a beta ready binary available by end of august. We will surely give you a buzz when we are ready.

Thank you!
    07-31-12 11:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD