Hi all!

I tried converting some PDF's with Calibre to use on Book Reader on my Playbook and the conversion was really spotty, specially on a philosophy book with lots of footnotes. The Book Reader app supports the MOBI format, and after some research, I found that this format is exactly the same as the PRC format of the now defunct mobipocket reader or the AZW format from Amazon (the only difference being the DRM scheme).

So, I found out that the free mobipocket creator supported importing PDFs, gave it a try, and found that its PDF conversion is far superior to Calibre's. It will produce a set of files, of which only the .PRC matters. You just change the extension to .MOBI for the Book Reader app to import, and off you go.

So far I've been pleasantly surprised that such an old program can convert my PDFs with such quality. Hope this will allow you guys to better enjoy your favorite books on the just updated Book Reader app.
    08-18-11 12:57 PM
    Hi all!

I tried converting some PDF's with Calibre to use on Book Reader on my Playbook and the conversion was really spotty, specially on a philosophy book with lots of footnotes. The Book Reader app supports the MOBI format, and after some research, I found that this format is exactly the same as the PRC format of the now defunct mobipocket reader or the AZW format from Amazon (the only difference being the DRM scheme).

So, I found out that the free mobipocket creator supported importing PDFs, gave it a try, and found that its PDF conversion is far superior to Calibre's. It will produce a set of files, of which only the .PRC matters. You just change the extension to .MOBI for the Book Reader app to import, and off you go.

So far I've been pleasantly surprised that such an old program can convert my PDFs with such quality. Hope this will allow you guys to better enjoy your favorite books on the just updated Book Reader app.
    Hi,
    1) Thank you for using my application.
    2) Actually, PRC/MOBI/AZW are similar, but still different formats - using different encoding, compression and file headers. All of them could be DRM-ed.
    2) You don't need to rename PRC to MOBI, Book Reader could import them both. It actually reads information in a file header to determine the format.

Thanks again,
    Igor
    08-23-11 11:34 PM
    Thanks for your precisions, Igor, and let me say that I greatly enjoy your app. This certainly makes things clearer for me and saves me a couple steps! Keep up your great work.
    08-24-11 12:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD