Any Android mp3 player app I have tried fails to find album art as well as artist name and album info. This includes "3 cubed" from appstore, VLC (sideloaded), AMP lite (sideloaded), Android Music (sideloaded), Winamp (sideloaded).

Works ok with the PB Music app. I've played around with the tag info and versions of mp3 files with no luck.

Is this an issue other have noticed? Known limitation of the Android player? Is there a fix for this? I'm on 2.1.0.840 but prior versions gave the same result.

Thanks!
    08-22-12 05:38 PM
    Yes, I have the same issue. While these apps- Winamp and 3 Cubed, at least- recognize a few albums and artist names, the overwhelming majority are not recognized. Makes finding tunes a major PITA. I've also played around with tags, wit no luck. If you're looking for a native app that does recognize tags and allows for the creation of multiple playlists( the only advantage that I see thes android apps have over the native Music app, try "Music Player with Themes", a free version of which is in app world.

One question I have, how did you get VLC on your PB. Is it really VLC, or "VLC Direct"?
    Last edited by pacoman03; 08-22-12 at 06:17 PM.
    08-22-12 06:11 PM
    Any Android mp3 player app I have tried fails to find album art as well as artist name and album info. This includes "3 cubed" from appstore, VLC (sideloaded), AMP lite (sideloaded), Android Music (sideloaded), Winamp (sideloaded).

Works ok with the PB Music app. I've played around with the tag info and versions of mp3 files with no luck.

Is this an issue other have noticed? Known limitation of the Android player? Is there a fix for this? I'm on 2.1.0.840 but prior versions gave the same result.

Thanks!
    The short answer is to use the android app, ID3Fixer. It is almost free, in that it includes adverts, and provides two modes for repair--fix the android media db, or fix the tags in the music files. Use the former for Nirvana.

The long answer. I wiped my PB and then had issues similar to the OP. The Android media database was not reading the music tags. Scrobbling would mask the album cover problem but I could not browse the music by tags. I first thought that it was an ID3 version issue, but none of the previous versions solved it. After many days and hours of reading, I found a bug report regarding Android misreading the (Unicode) encoding of the music tags. This was fixed in subsequent builds. Just rescanning the db will not help. After a bit more searching, ID3Fixer provided a little peace.

Caveat: If you intend to use the second option to fix tags, use it on copies first.
    08-23-12 11:44 AM
    @ Pacoman - yes VLC Direct. I just tried Neutron MP and it seems to be able to read tags (art and other data). It's non-android.

@ jackpots - I'll give ID3fixer a try - thanks for the tip!
    08-23-12 03:48 PM
    Next question:. Where did you find id3fixer for playbook??
    08-26-12 12:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD