Well, it's been a long search, but I've finally found an app that will play downloaded midi files! It's called "Custom Soundboard". It's free and works fine for my long classical guitar files. Drawbacks? It's Android, ad supported, and soundboard UI (would prefer a native app in a standard music player format - developers, are you listening???)... But hey, this is the first app I've found that will let me play my midi collection!
    10-27-12 12:52 PM
    There are a few other android apps that will play midi files that I'm aware of, all of which need to be sideloaded. They are Winamp, Meridian, and X-Plore File Manager. The best of these, in my opinion, is X-Plore. It has a few advantages over CustomSoundbaord. One, you have instant access to all of your midi files, not just 28 as in Soundboard. Second, you can pause and resume playback- in Soundboard it seems like you can only start from the beginning and stop. Third, X-Plore's audio player has a timeline, so you can jump around in the file if you like- this seems to be a no no in Soundboard.
    10-27-12 02:06 PM
    I did hear a few months ago that Ableton and Sony were working on full suite midi players and samplers for tablets. For which platforms I was unable to find out but I think it's a pretty safe bet it'll be iOS and possibly Android. I'm not holding out too much for a BB app at this stage but it's nice to dream.
    10-27-12 02:38 PM
    It's a few years late, no one stepped up to address this, so here is a native midi player for Playbook & Z10.

It only plays type 0 midi files. (single track)

Its free.....and it also:

Plays over 250 obscure chiptune video game music formats.
    To use just copy your files to the music folder on your device.
    Plays 8-bit & 16-bit era game console music.
    80’s & 90’s computer music formats, including ADLIB MIDI, Protracker & MP3.
    Plays directly from ZIP, RAR 7-ZIP compressed archives.
    Includes Adplug, Game Music Emulation, MODplug, SIDplay, STsound, VGMstream librarieMidi player (playbook)-screenshot1.png

Playbook version now includes Timidity, and plays all midi files. You can use your own timidity patches, as long as they are in the shares/music/instruments folder with timidity.cfg, and timidity.cfg starts with: "dir /accounts/1000/shared/music/instruments".

Here is the source code as well: drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9C0AMB_JA8CQi04bWRyNGU2T00&usp=sha ring
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Hugo Draker; 12-23-14 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Z10 Version
    Pcmx likes this.
    12-04-14 06:17 PM
    NO way! Never too late, I was only just looking for something like this and couldn't have imagined any better!! Loaded up Z10 ver. on my Passport. Really liking this.

In case it isn't mentioned since I didn't see it on the Z10 version, a folder named oldplay needed to be created in the music folder of the device; then I could browse anywhere from there
    12-15-14 10:11 AM
    A folder called 'oldplay' needs to exist in the "media/music" folder (/accounts/1000/shared/music/oldplay)
    On the playbook version clicking the Home button creates this folder, then you reopen the app.
    On the Z10 version you would need to pull up the keyboard and press the "h" key, and restart the appMidi player (playbook)-examplehomefolder.png.
    Your music files need to be in in that folder.

Versions for all BlackBerry devices are coming when I have spare time...

I was hoping to test this on actual devices, so far, it seems to be working in the simulator.
    12-15-14 05:18 PM
    The Z10 version is working very nicely on my Passport. It just doesn't fill the screen otherwise I'd think it was made for Passport. It was great to find out it even has keyboard controls and once the home folder was created I can browse the whole device. I played music off the SD card. Very nice work here! I have a feeling I'm going to be listening to a lot more music this way!

Thank you so much!

Oh, and also, I kind of stumbled on this by fluke. I was going to eventually look for something to play spc files and found this by surprise under different search terms. Maybe the BB10 area could offer some more exposure. That, and I'll be running it through the paces if you'd like me to report any findings.
    12-15-14 07:43 PM
    For the one or two people using this software:
    I got around to getting the Q10 version to somewhat work. You can get it here:
    drive.google.com/open?id=0B9C0AMB_JA8CY2tSbTB6YjloaDA
    Oldplay112-0_0_12_1_Q10.zip
    Sideload using chrome BB App Manager.

Some functions don't work well.
    Midi player (playbook)-1.png
    The keys are:
    pgup-q
    pgdn-a

skip next-y
    skip prev-t

next-k
    prev-j