Go get Memory Eater in the App Store. It's 99 cents. It will allow you to kill a hung Android app so you don't have to reboot your Playbook every time. Tested it with a hung app and it worked as advertised. When I relaunched the sideloaded android app, it took about 30 seconds to start up but it worked great.
    05-15-12 08:51 AM
    Yup, works for me also... saves time rebooting.
    05-15-12 09:12 AM
    I'm glad you appreciate it. Here is the link by the way.
    Mr_Bunny likes this.
    05-15-12 09:17 AM
    Go get Memory Eater in the App Store. It's 99 cents. It will allow you to kill a hung Android app so you don't have to reboot your Playbook every time. Tested it with a hung app and it worked as advertised. When I relaunched the sideloaded android app, it took about 30 seconds to start up but it worked great.
    hmm how come Apple App Store doesnt work on my PlayBook?

(It's AppWorld :P)
    fabio984 likes this.
    05-15-12 11:34 AM
    hmm how come Apple App Store doesnt work on my PlayBook?

(It's AppWorld :P)
    haha good point!
    05-15-12 12:06 PM
    Another easy and free way to fix android lock up is to open 8-10 apps at once to eat up the memory and android player will force close and work like a charm when relaunched.
    05-15-12 01:48 PM
    Kerm-ed also posted a link to a bar file that can be sideloaded to eat up memory. It appears to work pretty well although one time it did not allow me to relaunch the android player immediately.
    05-15-12 04:41 PM
    Bought this app. What took you so long? Now I'm not gonna waste my time opening bunch of apps. Just a request to the dev, pls make a cooler icon for this
    05-15-12 07:53 PM
    Bought this app. What took you so long? Now I'm not gonna waste my time opening bunch of apps. Just a request to the dev, pls make a cooler icon for this
    Something like a big sledge hammer crushing that android robot.... with flames.
    05-15-12 08:48 PM
    Assuming it works, I expect this will become one of my most used apps considering my experience with android apps on the PB.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-15-12 09:06 PM
    LOL. one hot icon coming up

05-16-12 02:54 AM
    Haha It would be funny yes, but sadly I'm no designer... If one of you wants to have a beautiful icon, do it with your talent and I'll add it. Personally I just do simple designs so that the results aren't that hideous.

As suggested in another thread, I reduced the size of the icon.
    I also fixed some random force close bug which came out of nowhere, or I hope so... it never happens to me so I can't really test. But a user reported it. Not sure if it's true or not but well... If you run into an issue, please contact me first.
    05-18-12 04:13 PM
    Just got a update for it, Dont know the full change log though.

Now instead of closing automatically, It gives you the option to run "Kill It" again until the application your trying to close, Closes. Also gives you the option to quit if the application your trying close has already closed/ended/crashed.

Last edited by STRATEGIZER; 05-21-12 at 01:50 PM.
    05-21-12 01:47 PM
    Yes indeed, and I've modified a bit the icon. I've also fixed very rare FC. And you can use it in portrait mode also.
    Not a big update but I've tried to satisfy your requests.
    05-27-12 07:19 AM
    I bought it too and now I've added it to my suggested list of must-have apps.
    Jlodon2012 likes this.
    06-02-12 03:42 AM
    To the dev of this app, lately I've been experiencing BLACK SCREEN of DEATH... which forces me to reboot my PlayBook. Is this some kind of a bug? Is it fixable? I certainly bought this app for the mere purpose of not rebooting my PlayBook, and now this APP is forcing me to do so.
    07-02-12 03:36 AM
    Enjoy this app while you can because, as of OS 2.1, it will become redundant. After weeks of use, I have yet to hang the Android VM under the beta. It's like night and day compared to OS 2.0.1 - makes the Android player actually usable.

RCK
    07-02-12 05:49 AM
    If this topic is still relevant I would like to design a new icon for the memory eater app please contact me!
    07-02-12 08:59 AM
    Enjoy this app while you can because, as of OS 2.1, it will become redundant. After weeks of use, I have yet to hang the Android VM under the beta. It's like night and day compared to OS 2.0.1 - makes the Android player actually usable.
    2.1 is considerably better, but I've still found Memory Eater to be useful, I'm certainly not using it near as much, but it's saved me a few restarts.
    07-02-12 10:27 AM
    2.1 is considerably better, but I've still found Memory Eater to be useful, I'm certainly not using it near as much, but it's saved me a few restarts.
    Well, I run mostly Android apps and what I've seen is that, when the VM does get hosed, it restarts itself automatically. I've yet to see it hang hard, and that's with 4-5 apps running concurrently (TapaTalk, gReader, Twitter, Swarm and ES File Explorer).

Note: I don't usually run any Android games, so perhaps that makes a difference. Regardless, it's much improved vs. 2.0.1 and is now actually usable on a day-to-day basis.

But by all means, enjoy Memory Eater. I have nothing against developers filling a void, however, my first choice is to have the void eliminated by correcting the errant behavior that spawned it all...

RCK
    07-02-12 11:01 AM
    The true memory eater is the browser in 2.1, it literally makes me go down to 154 mb of ram in just five YouTube video's witch really Suck since I use the playbook more for the Web...
    07-03-12 03:15 PM
    To the dev of this app, lately I've been experiencing BLACK SCREEN of DEATH... which forces me to reboot my PlayBook. Is this some kind of a bug? Is it fixable? I certainly bought this app for the mere purpose of not rebooting my PlayBook, and now this APP is forcing me to do so.
    Hi, some other customers reported that, too. This is certainely due to the fact that the PlayBook is allowing non-allowable memory to the app in your case, something the PlayBook shouldn't do to a certain extent.
    The BSODs you're experiencing appear when you're killing and swiping "windows" or focusing to another app when killing, am I right ? When you're killing an app, you should do nothing because the PlayBook becomes very unstable in this state. I recommend closing Memory Eater after having killed the Android Runtime, and before launching another app.
    07-07-12 11:53 AM
    cannot find it in the appworld
    12-19-12 06:30 PM
    Hello,

Finally ! Memory Eater is back !
    Some brief recap of what happened : the app was deleted several months ago because "It makes a negative impression given to customers ." said BlackBerry on nov 29th. Well of course, my app enlightening the fact that the Android Runtime is not very well optimized is not good for BlackBerry to stay in the App World.
    So I decided to repost it: got rejected multiple times.
    My last solution was to post the same application under a new name, and after one rejection, it finally got approved today !
    As for the price, it's 2$. If you think it's too much, just let me know and I'll put the price to 1$. But please be honest.

You can find Memory Eater under the name "Task killer for BlackBerry 10 and PlayBook" on the App World.

Check out my other apps also : a free (and ad-free) launcher for the beautiful image gallery of Android, a free app with some offline maps of Paris called ParisMaps, and the better version of said app, ParisMaps+, which can track your position on an accurate Google Maps simili map and gives you also the V�lib' (public bicycles) stations. (still offline !)
    04-17-13 03:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD