01-30-12 04:27 PM
47 12
tools
    Magellan Compass was one of the first paid apps I installed on my Playbook after I got it. I am currently working on a way to use it on some of my bike rides using the tracking feature which records your trip. I think it will have wait unil OS2 and hopefully RIM allows more file types though since the tracks are saved a gpx files, I can't upload or even email them since the file browse for uploads or attachments won't list the gpx files. I may have a workaround using Files & Folders though.
    01-14-12 07:41 PM
    The gpx files from tracking are saved in the documents folder and can be viewed on Google earth on your pc. I use the wifi connect to my pc and the track shows up with all the speeds and altitudes and total distance when the track is charted for altitude. Works great but it sure would be nice to have some offline maps because I don't have a BB phone. I tried the "Canada on device maps app but it was crap even though all the Skylab apps have a high rating they are obviously faulse, I did get a refund but would like to have an app that worked offline.
    01-14-12 10:43 PM
    My work around does the job for now. Using Google docs and Google Earth is not a solution for me as I already have an account on RideWithGps for recording my bike rides.

My solution was to use Files & Folders, select the gpx file, and email it to myself. Then I go to my Mac open my email, drag tbe file to my desktop, log into RideWithGps and upload the file. Here is a link to the result of my short test drive using Magellan Compass to track the drive. Next I need to try a bike ride as soon as I get my Playbook mount for the bike.

Trip to Starbucks - Langley, British Columbia

It's a clumsy method but until the PB allows for all file types in their file manager, this will have to do. Until then it just means that I will have to wait until I arrive home to upload the data.
    01-14-12 11:59 PM
    We can say now that Magellan Compass v3 will have voice turn by turn instruction. We hope to post a video of it on the blog site in a little a week or so, but please do not hold us to this. We want to get a good representative route to show off this new feature.
    01-24-12 07:19 AM
    @canuckvoip: Sorry, no plans for 3D maps. It is planned to rotate the map while driving, but that is a low priority right now and has to wait for an SDK bug fix.
    01-24-12 07:23 AM
    Version 3 of Magellan Compass (scheduled for around 1Q of 2012) will have off-line maps/map caching. You do not have to buy maps since the caching is done automatically for you. "Older" map data will automatically be removed to make room for new map information. This is the main reason why we moved away from Google. It is pretty nice to get map information while driving with no network connection. It loads a lot faster too.
    suzieque likes this.
    01-24-12 07:25 AM
    We are still determining what the final price for Magellan Compass will be. Version 3 is almost a new application with tons of features including off line maps, traffic, airport status, and more. Any one of these features would have a price of $2-10. We will post at blog.o2interactive.com prior to the release so that people can make an informed buying decision. What ever the final retail price will be, the upgrade price will be less then the retail difference.
    01-24-12 07:29 AM
    I hate paying for upgrades.... I purchased the program and that means I supported the company when it was starting out. If the sum of my original price and that of upgrade is more than another company's full program price then why should I keep Magellan?

Have been looking at an Android app called MAVERICK. Hopefully os2.0 will support it. Runs fine under a rooted playbook. Uses multiple map sources and is a nice clean, fast interface.
    01-24-12 01:51 PM
    I hate paying for upgrades.... I purchased the program and that means I supported the company when it was starting out. If the sum of my original price and that of upgrade is more than another company's full program price then why should I keep Magellan?

Have been looking at an Android app called MAVERICK. Hopefully os2.0 will support it. Runs fine under a rooted playbook. Uses multiple map sources and is a nice clean, fast interface.
    To be fair, new versions of PC/Mac software are typically not free and no one seems to expect otherwise. I do expect a major upgrade if the developer plans to charge for it. I'll wait to see what changes are made to this app and how much the upgrade price is before I make a judgement.
    01-24-12 03:40 PM
    The upgrade fee will be nominal (~$0.99), but the full version will probably be a little more than the current retail price. Beside the tens of thousands spent on development, some services being added are not free to us and are re-occurring. So without a price change, we would be unable to provide new features that a lot of customers have been asking for. We are not charging for map data, where many apps like this have. We're not saying that Magellan Compass is 100% comparable to navigation devices, but those devices are around $150+, and we're providing very similar features (and in some cases more) for less than $10.

Once we can amortize the application on different tablet OS (which adds to the development cost), then the price may not fluctuate. We are sensitive and aware of price changes, but they are needed to cover costs and to continue R&D of the product. If the features being provided do not warrant the price being asked, you do not have to upgrade.
    01-25-12 06:55 AM
    We announced on our blog yesterday (blog.o2interactive.com) that voice turn-by-turn will be a part of the version 3 release. Doris is the default voice and other voices are planned to be available for download. Voices do not need an Internet connection for text-to-voice guidance. We hope to have a video of the new guidance system in a little while.
    01-25-12 08:54 AM
    Looking forward to the 3.0 release! Might be time to replace my Garmin...
    jtegen likes this.
    01-25-12 10:41 AM
    Wow. Offline maps and voice turn by turn. I'll be upgrading.
    jtegen likes this.
    01-25-12 11:06 AM
    And real time traffic (with network connection)
    01-25-12 12:24 PM
    V 3.0 sounds like its going to be awesome, im definitely going to upgrade.
    jtegen likes this.
    01-25-12 01:31 PM
    I did a quick look. Can you search for a business, say Costco, and set it as destination or do you need an actual address? I think I've tapped all of the icons. Just typing Costco as Destination does not work. I thought maybe I could type into the Yelp box but I don't think so.

I presume there is no link to my Contacts?

Any help appreciated.
    01-25-12 04:03 PM
    The upgrade fee will be nominal (~$0.99), but the full version will probably be a little more than the current retail price. Beside the tens of thousands spent on development, some services being added are not free to us and are re-occurring. So without a price change, we would be unable to provide new features that a lot of customers have been asking for. We are not charging for map data, where many apps like this have. We're not saying that Magellan Compass is 100% comparable to navigation devices, but those devices are around $150+, and we're providing very similar features (and in some cases more) for less than $10.
    ......... If the features being provided do not warrant the price being asked, you do not have to upgrade.
    you seem to get my point in my first post, that 1) I expect some costs if the upgrade is significantly different...... Emphasis on "significantly". 2) and I don't need to upgrade which implies there won't be a charge to simply upgrade to a version just for compatibility with PB OS 2.x Which may become more of a beef with RIM than software developer. BTW I believe Magellan worked via Bridge so did not need offline maps but sure willnbe more convenient to have them stored locally.
    01-25-12 06:07 PM
    No upgrade needed for OS 2.x. Works fine as is.
    01-30-12 06:52 AM
    @F2: You can enter an address now and in v3, addresses are easier to enter and previous city/state/country are saved. Also in v3, you can look up places by categories. All this will be expanded after v3.
    01-30-12 07:26 AM
    Offline maps and turn by turn? Wow, I may have to give this another look.
    jtegen likes this.
    01-30-12 08:32 AM
    I am SERIOUSLY loving the idea that this app gets voice turn by turn and offline maps!
    I certainly have no problems with an incremental bump in price for the upgrade. Serious work and improvements deserves to be compensated for! Bring it on, I will glady pay for quality software.
    jtegen likes this.
    01-30-12 01:20 PM
    I would gladly pay a few extra bucks for the new services you mentioned, cant wait.
    jtegen likes this.
    01-30-12 04:27 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD