Hello everyone,

I just downloaded the Megallan Compass App, it is the best GPS on the Playbook in my opinion. Soon it will have turn by turn voice directions on it hopefully in there big update in the near future. I wrote the makers last night about it. And they gave me a quick response. Here is what they said.

Version 3 is still under development. A lot is changing in the
    application so it has been taken a little longer than we expected. We
    hope to released it around February/March. As we get closer and know that
    a certain feature will be available, we will post it on our blog.

Thank you for the positive review. The more the better.

Best regards,
    o2 interactive team

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 02:09:36 -0500, <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello, I just purchased your App on AppWorld, and I love it, it is
    > amazing. Very useful. I was reading you will have turn by turn voice
    > instructions coming soon. I was just curious as to when you will have it
    > in the BlackBerry PlayBook? I work on the rigs and travel alot long
    > distances, I hate having to look at the screen all the time to see when
    > and where to turn. Not safe lol. Anyways a rough guess would even be
    > nice to know. Thank u so much for this wonderful App, I look forward to
    > hearing from you and seeing some great new updates.
    >
    > Aaron Andersen
    > PS- I will give u a 5 star rating and excellent review on Appworld right
    > now!
    > Sent from my BlackBerry� phone powered by Koodo Mobile�.

Anyways I can't wait. it should be good. I suggest the download.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-12 11:04 AM
    I too am looking forward to this upgrade. I hope the maps will be 3D but that is probably asking too much!
    01-08-12 12:50 PM
    You never know though. In there reply to me they do say Alot is changing in the next update. So lets hope it is even better than before
    01-08-12 01:48 PM
    got the demo version installed now, going to give it a good test next week when I travel and if it works well I will buy the full version.

AsBloodRunsBlack likes this.
    01-08-12 02:04 PM
    This is a great app today. any upgrades will make it better. I live in 4San Diego but work in Virginia from time to time. I had to drive up to northwest Maryland taking the back roads through West Virgina and enjoyed how it kept me on track even through the beautify back country of West Virginia. All through brigde.
    01-08-12 02:37 PM
    next version is supposed to drop google map for openstreet and support offline map caching... can't wait !!!
    01-08-12 06:39 PM
    if the new version is drastically different then the previous, they will probably make you pay for the new edition. it does sound like a great app but i think i'll hold off till they release the new one.

i like google maps, not sure its a good thing they are dropping it?
    01-08-12 09:34 PM
    Checked it again after reading this port..
    I need Offline maps, can't do navigation with data..
    Hope they bring option to buy maps.
    01-09-12 10:21 AM
    if the new version is drastically different then the previous, they will probably make you pay for the new edition. it does sound like a great app but i think i'll hold off till they release the new one.

i like google maps, not sure its a good thing they are dropping it?
    Its already payware, $4.99, although there is a demo version. (edit - I guess you meant pay again if you paid for v2... sorry...)

Google Maps EULA prevents anyone from caching their map tiles, in other words, impossible to use offline GPS nav with google maps, which is the reason why they said they would drop GM.

Maybe they could keep GM for online and OpenStreet for offline, best of both worlds...

Checked it again after reading this port..
    I need Offline maps, can't do navigation with data..
    Hope they bring option to buy maps.
    I don't think you'll need to "buy maps", you'll actually need to buy the apps, but once that is done, my guess is you'll have to create a route online, then the app will download and cache the map tiles for offline navigation. SO in other words, if you go to a location for which you have no cached map tiles, it won't work. Better than nothing IMO, although for any serious GPS navigation, I still keep my trusty Garmin GPSmap 60 with me all the time ;-)

Oh if only a garmin app would enable connecting a garmin gps to the PB, now we'd be talking serious stuff!!!
    I'd pay a lot of $$$ to use my BluChart maps on my PB screen!!!
    Last edited by RicThot; 01-09-12 at 11:32 AM.
    01-09-12 11:27 AM
    I am glad the app is working so great for you folks. I have been trying to get it to work now for about 4 days. The application never loads. In the past it has worked fine but as of a week ago it has ceased to function. Could I be doing something wrong? I have taken the unit outside in clear area, no go. I have bridged to my 9810, no go. Can anyone enlighten me on how to get it to work again? I recently changed from a 9800 to a 9810 to pair with my PB if that has any affect. I have the paid for app.

UPDATE: Ok, Crackberry is GREAT! All I had to do was discuss that Magellan Compass wasn't working for me and BAM!! It's now working!!! I left my office today and got to my truck and realized I had forgotten my keys. Left the PB on the dash and turned on the app and left it loading. By the time I got back with my keys it had me located and worked all the way home.
    Last edited by dgjackson40; 01-09-12 at 06:10 PM.
    01-09-12 11:49 AM
    I am glad the app is working so great for you folks. I have been trying to get it to work now for about 4 days. The application never loads. In the past it has worked fine but as of a week ago it has ceased to function. Could I be doing something wrong? I have taken the unit outside in clear area, no go. I have bridged to my 9810, no go. Can anyone enlighten me on how to get it to work again? I recently changed from a 9800 to a 9810 to pair with my PB if that has any affect. I have the paid for app.

UPDATE: Ok, Crackberry is GREAT! All I had to do was discuss that Magellan Compass wasn't working for me and BAM!! It's now working!!! I left my office today and got to my truck and realized I had forgotten my keys. Left the PB on the dash and turned on the app and left it loading. By the time I got back with my keys it had me located and worked all the way home.
    Actually, if by "not working" you meant you had a hard time getting a satellite signal, then this may happen if you use the GPS pretty far away from where it was last used. This is comon to any GPS device but the one inside the PB seems to be particularly slow sometimes. I had to wait up to 10 minutes sometimes before it found itself.

Cheers, glad it finally worked for yoU!
    01-09-12 08:03 PM
    It's now working!!! I left my office today and got to my truck and realized I had forgotten my keys. Left the PB on the dash and turned on the app and left it loading. By the time I got back with my keys it had me located and worked all the way home.[
    LOL: so, you got lost going from home to work??
    01-09-12 10:00 PM
    LOL: so, you got lost going from home to work??
    Awww C'mon... I've done that a bunch of times playing with this app, bb traffic, and Google nav just to test them...

collapsed likes this.
    01-09-12 10:51 PM
    Yea, happens on the way anywhere sometimes!! Wife thinks I am a bit looney. Sometimes I'll have two GPS going in her vehicle letting them fight it out on best routes! She hates it when one of my units work much better than her in-car unit!! If we were to follow that vehicles nav suggestions sometimes I swear it would add 50+ miles to a 25 mile trip!!.
    01-10-12 09:15 AM
    No criticism is intended but it might help searches if the spelling were fixed:

MAGELLAN is how it should be spelled.
    JasW likes this.
    01-10-12 11:59 AM
    I have a question about this app.
    Is there any way to lock it on you and have the map move or do you have to keep pulling the map to keep up with you?

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    01-11-12 07:58 PM
    I have a question about this app.
    Is there any way to lock it on you and have the map move or do you have to keep pulling the map to keep up with you?

If you click on your self it will bring up a circular menu. Choose the icon that looks like a circle with crosshairs. It will track you and scroll the map.
    01-11-12 08:10 PM
    If you click on your self it will bring up a circular menu. Choose the icon that looks like a circle with crosshairs. It will track you and scroll the map.
    Oh thank you so much. It was driving me crazy trying to figuar that out.

01-11-12 09:04 PM
    Oh thank you so much. It was driving me crazy trying to figuar that out.

You're welcome Kenneth!
    01-11-12 09:20 PM
    tried to use the app this week while travelling, so a couple issues folks need to be aware of:
    1) once you land in a new location you need to get an internet connection to your pb so that the map of where you are can be downloaded
    2) you need to get a gps connection via your pb and as others have stated, the gps signal seems weak in the pb

allows lots of time to do the above steps, i waited 20 min and gave up.
    01-13-12 08:54 AM
    Yes, it you move a substantial distance or have not used the gps in a longish while, it will take its sweet time getting data. If you are in a large urban area or parking garage or similar, you might have real problems acquiring satellites. But that's the same with all gps units (except phones which might use cell towers).
    01-13-12 10:41 AM
    I'm not having these issues. It works just fine for me. In fact its the best app I've bought for the pb.

01-13-12 05:39 PM
    I find that it can take forever to acquire a satellite lock and sometimes not at all but if I do a restart on the PB the lock is within seconds. I don't know if it's a cash issue or some kind of a GPS reboot that happens but it seems to work.
    01-14-12 01:38 PM
    how big of an area are we talking about before it needs to download a new map?
    01-14-12 02:08 PM
    not sure, maybe 100 square miles.
    01-14-12 03:38 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD