It just keeps getting better! We get a nice update, with a great suprise and now this evening while look in AppWorld for new apps, there suddenly are a bunch of new GPS Map applications that do not require download of the map data from the internet via Wifi or Cell connection and will thus continue to work while disconnected from the net! Very cool. These are city maps available from Skylab MobileSystems Inc. Kind of expensive, but very useful for travelers I think.

Anyone buy yet and can provide a review?
    08-25-11 09:45 PM
    I use the download pdf maps from tourist information sites like
    Official New York City Maps and NYC Borough and Neighborhood Guides, Subway Maps, Bus Maps, Bike Maps / nycgo.com

Notice these are for New York City, so, if you want to go to Paris ?????
    Newfangled Gizmo and tprime like this.
    08-25-11 11:12 PM
    It just keeps getting better! We get a nice update, with a great suprise and now this evening while look in AppWorld for new apps, there suddenly are a bunch of new GPS Map applications that do not require download of the map data from the internet via Wifi or Cell connection and will thus continue to work while disconnected from the net! Very cool. These are city maps available from Skylab MobileSystems Inc. Kind of expensive, but very useful for travelers I think.

Anyone buy yet and can provide a review?
    just tried to download it and it cost me $0.99 only (i think there's some typo there for the price, it should be $0.99 instead of $9.99)..
    08-25-11 11:22 PM
    you're right...also bought one for 99c...kewl!
    08-26-11 12:30 AM
    you're right...also bought one for 99c...kewl!
    have u tried it? i have downloaded it though but haven't got the time to try it.
    i opened it and all i got is just a simple map and nothing else..wondering if they support the turn by turn navigation...
    08-26-11 12:35 AM
    I wonder if the visa card is really going to billed at .99 cents or will it come through as 9.99?

Wish they had one for Canada or at least Vancouver.
    08-26-11 12:45 AM
    ^ My paypal was charged .99 cents.
    I got the Rome city map and the UK map. As soon as the UK map is downloaded (440 megs) I will compare the levels of detail. The Rome map is great - I have no Idea how accurate the GPS on the playbook will be...
    DiGiTaL_BrAiN likes this.
    08-26-11 01:04 AM
    Great tip--thanks!! *downloading*
    08-26-11 02:11 AM
    Yep I'm just downloading the Full UK map as I type this. Listed at 19.99 when I originally looked yesterday. Paypal just billed at .99
    08-26-11 04:46 AM
    The Rome city map has good detail and displays info such as: restaurants, bus stops, gas stations, and the like.
    The UK map in the offline mode does not have great detail, although if you look at an area with "online" selected you can see better detail and access it offline later from the cash. Then you can get typical map info (street names and other basic info). In the menu if you select "tile info" and then check "show tile info" the map will show how much has been cashed and which parts of the map have been scaled.
    08-26-11 11:35 AM
    Not bad but I am actually glad that it only cost 99p. I was under the impression it was gps navigation although it doesn't say thats what it is.
    08-26-11 12:21 PM
    When does the CHEAPER price kick in during the purchase operation?

edited to add: I went to the stage where I had to log in, and it then showed $9.99 PLUS tax for a larger total. I then had a choice of BUYNOW or Cancel. So I cancelled. Have they fixed the mistake or only after you actually purchase does it lower the price?
    Last edited by F2; 08-26-11 at 02:47 PM.
    08-26-11 01:58 PM
    ^ My paypal was charged .99 cents.
    Are you doing Verizon math?

.99 dollars = 99 cents.

.99 cents = 99/100 cents, or < 1 cent which is < $.01 which is 99/100th of a penny or less than 1 penny.

I'm assuming you mean 99 cents, correct?
    08-26-11 03:21 PM
    ^ what do you think??? Too much time on your hands?
    mithrazor likes this.
    08-26-11 03:44 PM
    Nope, here in the UK each one costs 9.99, even at the time before purchasing them.
    wes45 likes this.
    08-26-11 06:42 PM
    Are you doing Verizon math?

.99 dollars = 99 cents.

.99 cents = 99/100 cents, or < 1 cent which is < $.01 which is 99/100th of a penny or less than 1 penny.

I'm assuming you mean 99 cents, correct?
    I remember that audio track with the verizon rep and the cost per whatever it was. Quite humorous but not!!!
    08-26-11 07:34 PM
    Creating a new message:

Some of the maps are now priced at $0.99 (France) and others are still priced at $9.99

I'm trying to get France but appworld was not working for a while and then the 400+ mb file died in mid-download. Trying again.

Keeps failing. I've tried to avoid standby by playing music - failed. By browsing failed. Just trying failed.

Appworld needs a resume/continue download function for larger downloads.

How does one demand a refund it this keeps failing?
    Last edited by F2; 08-28-11 at 04:22 PM.
    08-28-11 02:18 PM
    I wonder if the visa card is really going to billed at .99 cents or will it come through as 9.99?

Wish they had one for Canada or at least Vancouver.
    Canada Explorer GPS.

No idea what it does. Haven't tried it, but it is in App World.

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst.../26339?lang=en

Noticed a reviewer complain about downloading maps over wi-fi. No biggie now.
    08-28-11 03:09 PM
    When I saw France was $0.99 this morning I figured for that price I would purchase the app. It took about 30 attempts (seriously) to get the darn 435mb to download but finally about 40 minutes ago it downloaded and installed.

I did not expect much in the way of mapping for that price. It apparently uses OpenStreetMap.

I opened "France" and started zooming in using Pinch/zoom. I was fairly amazed as Paris streets came into focus. Zooming gave more and more detail.

But what really surprised me was that when I pressed on the "thumbtack" type icon on the lower left (second from left) it found MY CURRENT GSP location and drew the maps for my surrounding blocks and I could zoom out and see the surrounding area.

I closed the app and opened again and I was looking at an overview of France. But if I panned to Warsaw, I was able to view a detailed map of Warsaw and could zoom it.

I'm not sure if this was an intended consequence of the "France-centric app" or totally UNintended.

But so far it seems that you are not limited to the locale you may download.

Oh, France is now back up to $9.99 (but I've got my receipt for $0.99 from both appworld and paypal). We shall see if they honor that price.

edited to add:

I guess I'm slow. I gather that you purchase certain LOCAL maps and those are loaded locally on the pb. If you then zoom in, additional tiles are then loaded. If you pan, similarly, additional tiles are loaded. But they are probably not stored on the playbook.

There is no search facility - you cannot search for a street name. Nor is there any routing. But it can provide maps and it appears that it can work over the Bridge as I futzed with my mac address throwing the pb off my network and it did load tiles albeit more slowly then wifi.
    Last edited by F2; 08-28-11 at 10:31 PM.
    08-28-11 09:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD