Are there any apps available yet that work off of GPS signal ONLY? Preferably with built in maps.

I know there are a few that work with a data connection, wifi or cell, but I want an app that works for location and tracking for those times when wifi and cell are not available.

Anything out there? Anything rumored to be in the pipeline?
    07-20-11 09:48 AM
    Short answer: none with maps. Longer answers/speculation can be found in other threads in this forum.
    07-20-11 10:32 AM
    What is the difficulty or issues in simply making a Tom Tom or Garmin Nuvi type app for tablets?
    07-20-11 10:34 AM
    it is probably not big issue to others... but for RIM, it is perhaps a "big" issue or difficulties on their part... otherwise, a gadget that has build-in GPS should be equipped with this program... and a device like our playbook, with all its glory hardware specifications and claimed world's first professional-grade tablet, is an ideal one to have this program...
    07-20-11 10:53 AM
    Bottom line I guess is that the turn by turn companies don't believe the market is large enough to justify the expense.
    07-20-11 11:00 AM
    business as usual...
    07-20-11 12:06 PM
    Bottom line I guess is that the turn by turn companies don't believe the market is large enough to justify the expense.
    Exactly. And it's not feasible for an independent developer because there are no sources of map data (except for OpenStreetMap.org). Trekbuddy is a decent offline mapping app (albeit not turn-by-turn) that I have installed on my 9700. You used to be able to create atlases from a wide variety of sources but Google (and others) sent those nasty cease and desist letters. That was the end of a good thing.
    07-20-11 12:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD