Hey guys, i want to make playbook apps but have absolutely no experience. Can you guys help me and give me step by step directions. Thank you
    10-30-10 03:26 AM
    Do you have any development experience on any platform?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-10 04:55 AM
    10-30-10 08:18 AM
    Do you have any development experience on any platform?
    No, I actually don't.
    10-30-10 10:06 PM
    I have COBOL, ADA, Informix, and vb.net experience. How do I get started with development for the Playbook?
    10-31-10 09:03 PM
    Thanks for the help. Now all I need to know is how to make codes, the ones that make the applications run and do certain things.

10-31-10 10:06 PM
    I have COBOL, ADA, Informix, and vb.net experience. How do I get started with development for the Playbook?
    I'd download the samples and start trying to break them apart and see how they work. I'd also find an online intro to ActionScript. The concepts aren't radically different from Ada or VB.Net, but the syntax will be pretty weird.

Thanks for the help. Now all I need to know is how to make codes, the ones that make the applications run and do certain things.
    You make it sound easy. It takes years of practice to learn how to program well. You can however get started writing basic apps in under a month if you dedicate a lot of time to it. I recommend visiting a book store and looking for a book on Adobe Air. Air comes in two flavours, HTML/CSS and ActionScript. Only ActionScript is supported on the PlayBook, so make sure to take a close look. You might also find books on Flex, which is a closely related technology, so take a look at them too. Make sure you get a book written for people who haven't programmed before. Expect the book to be 400+ pages and $60+.

I recommend starting development on your PC, and once you have it figured out try the PlayBook. Currently most of the PlayBook SDK is poorly documented at best, and in some cases completely undocumented. You need at least an intermediate-level knowledge of programming. Hopefully by the time you've learned the basics of programming a new release of the SDK will be out with better documentation.
    11-01-10 09:58 PM
    That seems reasonable.

I have made a few trips to the book store to find a book to start me on this, but none really seem to fit the beginner...

Any recommendations?
    11-03-10 05:56 PM
    to taylortbb: Ok. I didnt know it was hard like that. So i'll try to go to the book store. Then check out what books they have. Are you a developer?

11-04-10 03:35 AM
    A good starter for ten would be either of
    Essential ActionScript 3.0 by Colin Moock (O'Reilly)
    Foundation ActionScript 3.0 for Flash and Flex by Darren Richardson
    11-04-10 06:56 AM
    How about an app from av shadow for the playbook?

11-08-10 03:26 AM
    I can't stop thinking of all the great apps to make. Etrade or some other financial app. Espn app, blackboard for college students.

11-14-10 10:25 AM
    Does anyone know a good website that has actionscript code example for beginner to learn?
    11-16-10 09:10 PM
    Does anyone know a good website that has actionscript code example for beginner to learn?
    I'm not sure I can answer that, but my advice would be to download, install, and play around with the RSSReader sample app that RIM engineers posted. You can use that as a base to create your own little app.

In terms of resources I've seen a lot of recommendations for the "Essential ActionScript 3.0" book. The Playbook forums have simulator/BB-specific solutions as well.
    11-20-10 12:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD