Many of you know that I am anxiously waiting for RIM to announce support for the magnetometer in the AIR SDK. I need this support to finally provide point-and-view augmented reality features in my astronomy app.

In the absence of any official announcements I have been searching everywhere for clues. This is an update on the results of my research:

1. The current NDK Beta does not include support for the compass but unconfirmed reports indicate that NDK version 2 will include APIs for orientation sensors (gryroscope and magnetometer). Speculation about release dates may or may not end with today's announcements at DevCon.

2. AIR 3.0 provides capability to tie into native code. So as soon as the NDK supports the magnetometer, 3rd party developers can begin working on extensions to the AIR SDK. As soon as RIM releases AIR 3.0 and extensions become available, I will be able to access the compass and implement AR features in What's up.

3. I have located information about capabilities for Android apps repackaged for the Android player here. The magnetometer is not listed as incompatible hardware so one might conclude that Android apps will be able to use the sensor. If this is not an oversight, then it would be a reasonable assumption that similar support is just around the corner for my AIR app.
    Mojoski likes this.
    10-18-11 10:56 AM
    This is great news.. I'm seeing a lot of people in the forums that seem disappointed that RIM's conference called "DevCon" was actually targeted at Developers! Hello!
    menaknow likes this.
    10-18-11 03:14 PM
    This is great news.. I'm seeing a lot of people in the forums that seem disappointed that RIM's conference called "DevCon" was actually targeted at Developers! Hello!
    No kidding! Actually I'm watching DevCon webcast right now - it's full of amazing concrete and real tools that we can start using right away. Consumers will not have to wait much longer but we do need time to digest the information and create some amazing apps for you. My first step will be to find some links so I can start downloading those few pieces of the new APIs that I need for my app. There are going to be some rough patches and growing pains but I am going to succeed. Next, I will begin applying some of the new and exciting stuff that I heard about this morning. It's good to hear that RIM IS still committed to supporting AIR. But the real goodies are in the NDK. As soon as I have polished What's up to include AR, I'm going to reconsider becoming a C++ programmer.
    10-18-11 03:29 PM
    Consumers think tools to developers means nothing for them, which is absolutely stupid.
    10-18-11 03:29 PM
    Not all consumers. i may have been one of those waiting for "what's up" to get all the goodies before buying it. No more. With your obvious commitment, you deserve our support now.

will be checking out the stars tonight!
    10-18-11 08:28 PM
    Not all consumers. i may have been one of those waiting for "what's up" to get all the goodies before buying it. No more. With your obvious commitment, you deserve our support now.

will be checking out the stars tonight!
    There are a lot of disappointed consumers in these forums. But expectations were way out of line. It's called DEVCon for a good reason. Frankly, I was surprised that RIM concentrated on developer tools - real ones that we can use now - instead of blowing smoke for the analysts to write about and hoping that they would say something positive for a change. RIM could have announced more vapour-ware consumer products with indefinite delivery dates but they chose to do the right thing for a change.

Take heart, all you doubters. You can expect more BS form analysts over the next few days but pay no attention. RIM needs a few more weeks to polish OS 2.0 and while they are doing that, developers will be busy building apps and testing them against the Beta OS. As a by-product, developers will be giving the Beta a real stress test and will help RIM deliver a worthy product.

Things are looking much better for developers on this day but you still need to manage your expectations. Some of the bells and whistles will be missing from the AIR SDK for an indefinite period so please remember that I can't say when the magnetometer will be available to me. In the wrost case, I may have to re-write the entire app using C++. I imagine other developers will experience similar difficulties so I ask you to cut us a little slack for the time being.

One bit of advice to those consumers who want to try out the beta OS. Think twice and read the posts in this forum before you start the download. It is definitely not ready for public consumption.
    10-18-11 10:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD