I want to buy a magnetic case for my 32 gig playbook.
    Just wanna ask if it causes any ill efect to the playbook. Some say that it affects the magnetometer and the deflects the compass reading.
    I dont think that I will be using a compass on my PB.
    So would it make sense to buy a magnetic case for Pb.
    06-12-12 02:04 AM
    Oops, dropped it in the wrong section I suppose.
    06-12-12 02:05 AM
    Compass applications (and all other applications using the magnetometer) have problems with magnetic cases and it could be possible, that they are not working correct.
    06-12-12 03:01 AM
    I want to buy a magnetic case for my 32 gig playbook.
    Just wanna ask if it causes any ill efect to the playbook. Some say that it affects the magnetometer and the deflects the compass reading.
    I dont think that I will be using a compass on my PB.
    So would it make sense to buy a magnetic case for Pb.
    Compass apps will not work at all or will give incorrect results while your device is in a case with magnets. Even the magnetic connector on rapid chargers will cause distortion. But no permanent damage is done and the readings will recover automatically and quite quickly once the device is removed from the source of interference.

Recovery times will vary depending on how much you move the device around and whether the app provides a means to put the magnetometer in re-calibration mode.

A sure sign that the sensor is not quite ready for use is if you notice any drift in the readings while it is being held still or when placed on a flat surface. If you notice such drift, simply flip the device around until the readings stabilize.
    06-12-12 06:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD