So when does it come out? I just bought 2.2.0 and I would love voice turn by turn. Will I have to pay an additional fee to upgrade to 3.0?
    03-24-12 03:33 PM
    Re-routing when you are off route is available, but routing is a web service. It you are bridged, this function works fine.
    So if I do re route and am bridged to the Playbook will it still cache the maps, or would it then be completely online..
    03-24-12 10:28 PM
    So if I do re route and am bridged to the Playbook will it still cache the maps, or would it then be completely online..
    I am pretty sure he meant if you are tethered not bridged. Correct me if I am wrong but being bridged doesn't give you internet access. Tethered does.
    03-25-12 06:44 AM
    I am pretty sure he meant if you are tethered not bridged. Correct me if I am wrong but being bridged doesn't give you internet access. Tethered does.
    Oops... Yes I mean tethering... Thanks for correcting me...
    03-25-12 07:18 AM
    Internet works via. bridge
    03-25-12 07:58 AM
    It would be nice to have the offline maps on the next update. I was traveling in Maine earlier this month and in the rural areas the cellular data was non existent or slower EDGE, making Magellen Maps not that useful. It could follow you on the map, but moving around or zooming in and out was beyond the ability of the data connection.

I also have a dedicated factory GPS in my GM truck and the maps are also out of date. This seems to be a common problem, as our GPS navigated us to the Freeport Police Station, rather than the hotel a few miles out of town. When I called the hotel, they said it was a common GPS problem and after many years only got corrected this year on some GPS units. The new map CD for my truck is about $200, with no guarantee its going to have everything up to date. An app like Magellan Compass with the ability to get the latest maps and store them for offline use would be very useful.

Another hurdle for us with built in GPS units is that you can do very little with them when the vehicle is moving for safety reasons, even if you have a passenger to do the work. With a stand alone on the Playbook the passenger can help with the routing while moving, such as looking for alternate routes.

Lots of us would pay more for a GPS program with offline maps.
    polytope likes this.
    03-30-12 07:48 AM
    Any updates on 3.0? Natives are getting restless!
    03-31-12 07:49 AM
    Any updates on 3.0? Natives are getting restless!
    Very Restless!
    04-02-12 12:54 PM
    Looking forward to it also, best to get it right though.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    04-02-12 06:10 PM
    April 12th, and still no updates on something that was supposed to be released in February....
    UPDATE PLEASE
    04-12-12 07:15 AM
    I am sure they are doing the best they can to get it right.

It will be worth the wait.
    04-12-12 08:06 AM
    I am waiting to put my money down on this app. but not till the updates are made...
    ETA??
    04-12-12 08:39 AM
    We're currently in beta test phase and working all the minor issues beta testers have found with the app. We are eager to get the app out as much as the demand we have received for it. "Soon".
    04-12-12 12:01 PM
    Go baby go!
    If I could help I would!
    04-12-12 01:38 PM
    Will this be country specific? E.g. I live in Uk but will be going to USA(MI) next month to the Great Lakes.

ANDREW
    04-17-12 06:49 AM
    For those of you sick and tired waiting around for Magellan to get off their asses and give us an update with Turn by Turn voice Navigation....
    I came across NAVIGATOR today under Apps>Beta in App World:
    Navigator - BlackBerry App World

I tested this personally, and it works GREAT! Downloaded the offline Map Pack for Ontario, Canada. And made sure to go into settings and turn on Voice Nav while offline ( Which is still in testing mode but works GREAT ).
    Just make sure you have everything basically set to offline mode after you download your map packs, and you will be good. The ONLY down side I have seen thus far is when I search for a destination, I can't figure out how to put in a house number for example, just the street. Which is not a big deal for me right now, it's a working program, that does OFFLINE maps and OFFLINE turn by turn voice nav.
    It is $6.99 but worth it since it actually works.
    04-19-12 04:22 PM
    Well this was defiantly the best map app I have tested so far for the playbook so they have done a decent job with that!
    But as much as this seems like a cool upgrade the bottom line is unless you have offline maps then its not really going to cut it for regular use.

You will need an internet connection to get the map data, and when you are in your car you don't get it unless you bridge your phone which will need to be in a 3G zone also, and when you drive you will not always be in a 3G zone. Not to mention that while the phone is bridged and feeding the internet connection, the phone will be drained of battery power pretty quick.

So while the programmers so far have created the best GPS map program for the playbook which actually works!, it is only really a handy gps tool, but is not really a solution for a sat nav.

Personally I don't see the use in turn by turn voice if its not guarantied you are going to be able to see the map on the next turn.
    04-19-12 05:29 PM
    The ONLY down side I have seen thus far is when I search for a destination, I can't figure out how to put in a house number for example, just the street. Which is not a big deal for me right now, it's a working program, that does OFFLINE maps and OFFLINE turn by turn voice nav.
    It's the building field after you put in the street. I haven't given it a field test yet, but it seems pretty good so far. The vector maps are only for Canada, so our southern cousins might not find it as useful.
    04-19-12 08:30 PM
    It's the building field after you put in the street.
    Ah! Thank you, should have figured that ha ha ha!
    04-20-12 05:02 AM
    Well Magellan?? whens your "SOON" going to be. its like you forgot about us.
    Looks like some of us might be moving on.

Thanks Mhinc, might just have to check it out.

For those of you sick and tired waiting around for Magellan to get off their asses and give us an update with Turn by Turn voice Navigation....
    I came across NAVIGATOR today under Apps>Beta in App World:
    Navigator - BlackBerry App World

I tested this personally, and it works GREAT! Downloaded the offline Map Pack for Ontario, Canada. And made sure to go into settings and turn on Voice Nav while offline ( Which is still in testing mode but works GREAT ).
    Just make sure you have everything basically set to offline mode after you download your map packs, and you will be good. The ONLY down side I have seen thus far is when I search for a destination, I can't figure out how to put in a house number for example, just the street. Which is not a big deal for me right now, it's a working program, that does OFFLINE maps and OFFLINE turn by turn voice nav.
    04-20-12 08:01 AM
    It's the building field after you put in the street. I haven't given it a field test yet, but it seems pretty good so far. The vector maps are only for Canada, so our southern cousins might not find it as useful.
    Just tried this and the building field doesn't accept numerical what so ever.
    04-20-12 01:29 PM
    I sent Magellan an email and receivec no response back as to when their update was coming.

Brian
    04-20-12 02:36 PM
    Just tried this and the building field doesn't accept numerical what so ever.
    When I tapped it, it just gave a list of numbers, I didn't have to enter anything.
    04-20-12 04:05 PM
    Can't wait. Their app bailed me out again today.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    04-20-12 04:52 PM
    I sent Magellan an email and receivec no response back as to when their update was coming.

Brian
    When I sent them an email in January, asking when Ver 3 would be out, I was told February. So I bought the full version with expectations of ver 3 being out shortly.
    Not only is it still not out, you will have to map your router before you get into your car in order for it to work offline. Absolute pointless crap. Who wants to router their course from home and then jump in the car. What if you have to go somewhere else, or you make a wrong turn and it needs to recalculate.
    So even if it would have come out when they said, it still would have been useless as an offline playbook GPS Navigation App. OBJ Studio : Navigator is WAY better, it works! And the Vector maps for Canada you can download are great.

When I tapped it, it just gave a list of numbers, I didn't have to enter anything.
    Thanks Gabe, I actually know what`s going on now. When I contacted OBJ Studio ( Who I might add got back to me from his cell phone while on the road in less than 2 hours )
    Told me that depending on my area, not all the house numbers are in the downloaded maps. So it makes sense that you can see the list of numbers when you tap on building but I can`t! Thanks for the info it`s all clear now that I have your side and the developers
    04-21-12 09:52 AM
118 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD