Wonderful work guys. Currently a owner of the present app, and i love it. Cant wait for this new update
    02-20-12 08:26 AM
    Can't wait, thanks for sticking with it and making my PB even better.
    02-20-12 08:45 AM
    What's crazier is as soon as I loaded the Sample 2 video I was looking at street names in my neighborhood...this is in the town of Paradise, Newfoundland, Canada - small world, crazy small...
    02-20-12 11:45 AM
    What about plans to include "Street View"?
    Say you are comming upto an exit, Street view may be nice, & ESPECIALLY usefull at the destination. If your using a GPS to get there, there is a good chance that you have not been there B4, this shows you what it should look like
    02-20-12 03:53 PM
    With this new release i think they are not using google map anymore.
    genesis123 likes this.
    02-20-12 08:35 PM
    Will this application work with the Bridge BIS connection?
    02-20-12 10:31 PM
    It works now with a bridge connection with a BB cell phone.
    02-21-12 07:17 AM
    Street view is a browser based feature, so the short answer is no. We are looking a different ways in the future, but Google is only supporting browser based APIs for their mapping system moving forward.
    02-21-12 07:20 AM
    Routes that are saved are not GPX track files. GPX track files can be created from Magellan Compass, from the GPS information. Currently, reading these back in is not fully functional and would only be good to define a start and end point. Start and end points can be dragged as well as intermediate (need to go to points) can be inserted (and move around). The route is obtained from a web service. Getting to this point has take many months to achieve and there are dozens of features we want to add to this. The first focus has been on automobile travel. The application will be expanded to better support pedestrian, bike, and mass transit guidance.
    I hope importing kml files (with routes or poi) from local files or url is allowed, as it will add a lot of value for custom info on the map.
    02-21-12 08:42 AM
    @pb199: Version 3 (from demo video) will allow for offline map data. The data is automatically stored (cached) while panning and zooming to a user specified limit. But no map data comes with the application initially. It has to be loaded while connected to the Internet.
    Any chance we will be able to use an atlas created with Mobile Atlas Creator to support offline maps ?
    It already provides the ability to pull tiles from many sources and compile them into atlases which a lot of the navigation programs use (There is a huge variety of formats it already supports)

gail
    02-21-12 01:41 PM
    Importing and exporting KML POIs is on the list. Tracks as well, but not routes. Best we can do is to extract the waypoints from the routes and then run that into the guidance system since KML does not contain turn by turn information.
    02-21-12 04:28 PM
    In terms of Mobile Atlas Creator, we will look into it, but we are not in a position to offer multiple mapping sources due to various licensing constraints. Version 3 offline maps is done automatically. The user does not have to do anything to cache map data.
    02-21-12 04:31 PM
    New video posted for US Weather Radar overlay. Enjoy. Currently, data linke this is only available for the United States. We might be able to offer it to Canada in the future.

02-21-12 04:32 PM
    The weather overlay is a cool touch...

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but in regards to the map caching:
    - Can we keep a cached map of our local area on the device at all times, or is the cached data only for specific routes?

As far as my personal usage goes, I'll have my PlayBook with me at all times, but I won't always necessarily know when/where I'll need to go to the GPS to get navigation assistance...a local area cache will alleviate me having to rely on a data connection in order to get my map/travel guidance...
    Otherwise, the usage is limited to pre-planned trips...correct?

Nice work - keep it up!
    02-21-12 04:51 PM
    The map cache occurs when you panned or zoomed to a location while connected to the Internet. Once it is cached, the application checks there first (faster loading) before it tries for the Internet. Once it is there, it is there for just looking around, routing, etc. Map data is removed when the user defined limit is reached and the oldest map data is removed first (FIFO). If you're not connected, sections will appear white. If you have a bridge, it will load via that. Still to be done is the auto-cache feature for a selected route. You will define a min and max map level and it will check and obtain the needed map data up to the user defined limit.

Hope that helps.
    02-21-12 06:22 PM
    @ jtegen
    What happend to the Yelp info for Canadian Users? Why's it no longer working?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...canada-699623/
    02-21-12 07:15 PM
    We are aware of the Yelp issue. It has to do with a proxy web server that is currently unavailable. We hope to have that feature back on line within a few days.
    02-22-12 07:31 AM
    I am very glad to see some movement (sic) on turn by turn directions and applaud your work so far..

For prime time use as a GPS turn by turn navigation system a 3D view and offline maps/routing is needed, do you foresee these features becoming available in this app..or others on the PB?
    02-22-12 08:02 AM
    Version 3 of Magellan Compass will have off-line maps and turn by turn routing. 3D view not in any close releases. Most user's would not want to pay for that.
    02-22-12 08:21 AM
    The map cache occurs when you panned or zoomed to a location while connected to the Internet. Once it is cached, the application checks there first (faster loading) before it tries for the Internet. Once it is there, it is there for just looking around, routing, etc. Map data is removed when the user defined limit is reached and the oldest map data is removed first (FIFO). If you're not connected, sections will appear white. If you have a bridge, it will load via that. Still to be done is the auto-cache feature for a selected route. You will define a min and max map level and it will check and obtain the needed map data up to the user defined limit.

Hope that helps.
    Ok, so sounds like I could spend a little time to pan/zoom my local area with a 'high' cached data limit, and probably be ok, then...?

I realize the bridge data will alleviate the need for caching, however, I'm somewhat thinking ahead for the if/when I might leave the PlayBook in the car for the wifey to use as a GPS...she doesn't have a Blackberry, so bridged data connection is not an option there.

Looking forward to taking it for a test drive - thanks!
    02-22-12 08:53 AM
    Kind of off topic but related. I reinstalled Magellan Compass. In order to support the development of v3 I wanted to check if I had the paid version or upgrade the free one, but I can't figure out which version I have, and if the trial one pay for the premium one. Any tips?
    Thanks, Wolf.
    02-22-12 02:19 PM
    Any ETA about this release?
    02-22-12 02:46 PM
    Kind of off topic but related. I reinstalled Magellan Compass. In order to support the development of v3 I wanted to check if I had the paid version or upgrade the free one, but I can't figure out which version I have, and if the trial one pay for the premium one. Any tips?
    Thanks, Wolf.
    Go to App world>MyWorld>Installed>Magellan Compass....If it says Purchase or Delete your on the trial
    It will also tell you your vs
    02-22-12 03:28 PM
    Go to App world>MyWorld>Installed>Magellan Compass....If it says Purchase or Delete your on the trial
    It will also tell you your vs
    Thanks bbpandy, no Purchase indication shows so I assume I paid for it sometime ago :-)
    That's why I tried to check inside the app, but there's no indication in there of the version installed (ie the About section like some other apps)
    I guess it's just a matter of wait for the update then! Thanks!
    02-22-12 03:40 PM
    The trial only runs for 7 days. The splash screen also has "Trial" on it.
    02-22-12 04:57 PM
118 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD