I would love to be able to get magazines on my PB. Does anyone have any information about the ability to do this?
    11-14-11 01:49 PM
    You can try reading the magazines through the online browser; this is hit and miss of course as to how good/readable the magazines are.

Alternatively, you can wait patiently (or not) for Zinio and Pixelmags to finally release their apps

Zinio has taken a page out of RIM's playbook and continues to "talk" about their app being in development - they have been doing so since the launch of the Playbook. They still indicate on twitter and facebook that it is being worked on but it's anyone's guess as to when or if this will actually come to pass.

Pixelmags has indicated on their website that their app is "coming soon" for the Playbook - their website has been that way for the past month roughly but aside from that, they have not provided any other information regarding their app on the Playbook.
    11-14-11 02:52 PM
    The Pressreader app is suppose to have magazines. I've only checked out the newspaper selection so far. It's a free app so you can take a look for yourself and see if they have what you are looking for. The newspaper and magazines aren't free though.
    11-14-11 03:40 PM
    There is a magazine section in appworld under news but its very limited and probably not what your looking for
    11-14-11 03:47 PM
    If you read French magazines, there's a Relay app. Couldn't understand why Relay just doesn't release an English version of the app with English magazines.
    11-14-11 03:53 PM
    The first major one to get to BlackBerry gets rewarded with our business. I've purchased three books from Kobo and like it. I've cancelled my Kindle service and my Audible service and use Overdrive media for audio books.
    I know I can use the web browser for the Amazon cloud reader but I just like Kobo fine and a fully functioning app is better to me.
    11-14-11 03:59 PM
    fully functioning app is better to me.
    Haha - that is rich. What a comedian we have here. It is the most fully functioning one we have but it is by no means fully functioning. Currently it doesn't function at all. When it does function, it doesn't have a lot of the features that the Kobo apps for Android and Apple have. That being said, I have switched to it too.

As far as magazines are concerned, the online reading for zinio is ok. It works, but not great. It uses Flash/air. It is a bit slow, but I have gotten used to it. You need to set the auto zoom correctly and then just zoom in and out on the areas you need to view. The panning is too slow to be useful. One annoyance I have is that for some reason that website will not remember your logon credentials. It won't even remember the email/user ID.

I did find a small shortcut that avoids having to type your user name. When a new magazine arrives you will receive an email that has a link to that publication. For some reason, when using one of those links your user ID is filled in. Bookmark that page for your sign on page.

Also, I have found that instead of loading your full library every time (especially when accessing magazines over bridge), it is easiest to make bookmarks directly to the magazine. The first time I open a new magazine, I bookmark that URL too.

Unfortunately, you cannot just use that link when you open the browser. Every time you open the browser, you need to sign in to your account first (using the above method) and then you can use the bookmarks to the specific magazines. This saves a bit of load time since you don't have to go to your library every time to find your magazine. As long as you don't close the browser (and stay signed in), you can keep using the bookmarks you made that go directly to the magazine's URL.
    11-14-11 04:50 PM
    Read this with sarcasm:

You could also buy the Kindle Fire - Zinio has just announced, 30 minutes ago via Twitter, that they have built a native app for, and that this app is ready to go.

And in the meantime, we Playbook users simply wait and wait and wait and wait and wait....continued until the end of time....
    11-14-11 06:20 PM
    Read this with sarcasm:

You could also buy the Kindle Fire - Zinio has just announced, 30 minutes ago via Twitter, that they have built a native app for, and that this app is ready to go.

And in the meantime, we Playbook users simply wait and wait and wait and wait and wait....continued until the end of time....
    I am sure you will have to get use to waiting and waiting and waiting.....

The writing is on the wall and you won't be reading it anytime soon in a magazine on the pb. Our platform has been all but abandoned. Rim made a joke out of it in late Spring and Summer and with terrible sales, who needs to develop apps for it or open webpages to its browser.
    Last edited by F2; 11-14-11 at 08:56 PM. Reason: spelling
    11-14-11 06:37 PM
    Zinio actually works not too bad from within the browser and you can make it go full screen to get rid of the address bar. Zoom works ok but it is sluggish when trying to pan around the page.
    It still would be better to have a native app that would allow for offline viewing. Another plus would be if it could display a single page in portrait mode.
    I really don't understand why Zinio is so slow in developing a Playbook app as their PC app is built on Adobe Air which should simplify matters.
    11-14-11 06:59 PM
    I really don't understand why Zinio is so slow in developing a Playbook app as their PC app is built on Adobe Air which should simplify matters.
    I think this is the point that I find so frustrating. Zinio has, since the launch of the Playbook continued to tweet, facebook, and respond to email messages from various people, myself included, that the app is progressing; that they haven't forgotten about the Playbook; and that it is coming soon.

And yet, aside from a link that appeared via twitter to go to an email site where you can register your email for more information - a link that is not available on Zinio's main website I might add - nothing else has materialized.

When every other platform, including a dead one, and a brand new just-released tablet receives this app while we Playbook users receive nothing but empty promises, then I think the question needs to be asked: will this app ever come out?

And at this point, I think the answer is no.

@F2 - I agree with your supposition.
    11-14-11 07:35 PM
    Another plus would be if it could display a single page in portrait mode.
    This is possible. use the settings gear at the bottom of the magazine (the bar that hides automatically). If it is hidden, I usually just touch the bottom area of the screen and move off the screen, almost the opposite of the swipe up gesture to minimize the active windows. The should be a settings icon similar to the Playbooks settings gear.

From that window, Select 1 page in landscape view and ok. Then just rotate your playbook to portait view. There is some kink where the settings bar at the bottom of the screen won't reformat correctly (it extends off the screen). This can be fixed by rotating to landscape - toggling the browser's URL address bar so it shows (the button at the top right of the browser), then rotating back to portrait and toggling the URL address bar so it disappears. That method almost always works for me.

Also, remember that you can double tap on any Flash frame to maximize it. So when you pull up a magazine, double tap on the magazine or to the left, right, above or below the magazine and it will maximize. Then pull down from the top to go back to the standard browser.

Let me know if you have any questions. It works well for me, the only pain is the load time and panning. Also - when I breifly used OS 2.0, portrait view did not work.
    11-15-11 01:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD